Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 01:48 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Shamokin gets a bad rap but I find the town fascinating from an architectural angle and also for its street running railroad track. People must commute long distances to find work nowadays but they do take pride in their town and most wouldn't leave. See "Shamokin State of Mind" rap video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5SmoLF55YY
Those two are everything that is good about a small town.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Reminds me of northern England.
In what way?

Old 10-16-2016, 02:25 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
My Dad was born & raised in Shamokin. His Mother and his Aunt owned a big house and they used to house the police station in their basement back in the 30's - early 40s. I remember seeing pictures of it all when I was a kid.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
My Dad was born & raised in Shamokin. His Mother and his Aunt owned a big house and they used to house the police station in their basement back in the 30's - early 40s. I remember seeing pictures of it all when I was a kid.
How cool is that?

Old 10-17-2016, 09:24 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Reminds me of northern England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
In what way?
Northern England was the industrial powerhouse of England in the glory days of the Empire. The poor & uneducated left the farms in droves in order to find steady work in factories. Many rough-around-the-edges entrepreneurs got rich, irking the landed gentry and the London elites. Now the factories sit empty and decaying like they do in the Rust Belt of America.

There is cultural prejudice against Northerners in England where they are regarded with disdain by the Southern elites, much the way rural Southerners are regarded in the U.S.

Watch Monty Python's Four Yorkshiremen sketch for a parody of Northern nouveau riche behavior:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Old 10-17-2016, 11:41 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Northern England was the industrial powerhouse of England in the glory days of the Empire. The poor & uneducated left the farms in droves in order to find steady work in factories. Many rough-around-the-edges entrepreneurs got rich, irking the landed gentry and the London elites. Now the factories sit empty and decaying like they do in the Rust Belt of America.

There is cultural prejudice against Northerners in England where they are regarded with disdain by the Southern elites, much the way rural Southerners are regarded in the U.S.

Watch Monty Python's Four Yorkshiremen sketch for a parody of Northern nouveau riche behavior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo
Actually I do not like Comedy Central naming any city "Sh*thole of the Week". They could have picked cities that have terrible crime rates; but they decided to pick on Pennsylvania local culture. I hope people have noticed and struck their program from their 'must watch' list!

Old 10-17-2016, 12:27 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,947,837 times
We were driving home last Summer from our annual vacation. It was two days after the arson fire at Shamokin's Dunkin' Donuts.

Two fools were on the radio, acting as though they alone had the scoop on the residents of that beleaguered town, criticizing their looks, their intelligence, their pronunciation of the word "donit", the fact that there is no other place in Shamokin to get coffee. They were even so despicable as to demean Nikki Krize, (a local TV newscaster). They called her ugly. They criticized her report. They were just a couple of mean-spirited hot shots who obviously view themselves as smarter, better-looking, and with multi-sources for their caffeine fix. Of course, since it was radio, we weren't able to see how well they fit their own opinion of themselves, thereby relieving them of having to prove any of their attributes.

To trash a reporter who is on assignment, and a town full of people who don't have a whole lot to be proud of in their town but who nevertheless don't disrespect it, earns these two the title of "Sh*tbrains of the Month".

I have been trying to find out who these two are ever since I heard the radio broadcast in July. It would be interesting to find the Achilles' Heel(s) of these two heels.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:42 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I have been trying to find out who these two are ever since I heard the radio broadcast in July. It would be interesting to find the Achilles' Heel(s) of these two heels.
Was it WZZO-FM out of Allentown, in the morning?

I googled the entire Dunkin Donuts thing because I somehow missed it when it originally aired on WNEP, and it seems like the whole thing went viral over the summer. Lots of people all over the world were ridiculing Shamokin and the people who were interviewed.

Residents of Shamokin CANNOT COPE with their Dunkin Donuts burning down | Metro News

Old 10-17-2016, 01:01 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Just the fact that there's a regular feature called "Sh*thole of the Week" is mean-spirited and unseemly. "Hey, let's turn this city's and its residents' misfortune into a subject of derision for our own amusement and affirm our own superiority!" Wow, how edgy and ingenious to go after the low-hanging fruit like that.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:19 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,947,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Was it WZZO-FM out of Allentown, in the morning?

I googled the entire Dunkin Donuts thing because I somehow missed it when it originally aired on WNEP, and it seems like the whole thing went viral over the summer. Lots of people all over the world were ridiculing Shamokin and the people who were interviewed.

Residents of Shamokin CANNOT COPE with their Dunkin Donuts burning down | Metro News
No, I think I've tracked them down. It was Opie Radio on Sirius. How pathetic that this is what humor has come to and even more pitiful that people are willing to PAY for it!

We were in my son's new car and they offered a free trial of Sirius. He's not subscribing when the trial runs out next week. I have a 90 day free trial in my new car and I can't be bothered even checking it out. I have FM for news, sports and talk. I have a CD player for anything I choose. With a four-letter vocabulary, I suggest these young men move beyond fourth grade humor and read a book. Any book. Time they learned what real language sounds like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania