Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,024 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

I am new to PA, still in process of getting my PA driver's license ( moved from Nj, money is tightttt). I am hoping that someone on here can just answer a few questions regarding acquiring firearms, carry permit acquisition, and what is legal/illegal when it comes time to finally apply and hopefully get the carry permit. What is needed to apply for a carry permit in Bushkill, Pike County? Anything else worth knowing before going to apply? What are some laws I should know for around here pertaining to carrying a firearms? In and out of vehicles, can I leave firearms in my vehicle, etc. Thank you in advance. Just a pro second amendment man trying to get started in the concealed carry/ open carry world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 03:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Check Pike Counties Sheriff's website for information on the permit, should be relatively easy to get.

You can open carry anywhere with the exception of Philly and Pittsburgh and that will likely change in the future. See here for more information.

http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-firearms/open-carry/

Without a permit while transporting weapons they need to be unloaded and the ammunition should be in separate area than the gun.

I do not know that laws regarding leaving a gun in a car but I'm pretty sure you can. Not something I would do without a vault.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:22 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
One note, and I am not sure if it is still true; that you might not be able to get the carry permit without living here one year. Possibly it has changed or Pike County is different than Monroe County? We use to have a local sheriff that wanted local references and felt that one year was the least amount of time it would take for others to know you. He would refuse retired police from NY and NJ if they did not live here that first year.

However it is simple enough to check. Just call your local sheriff office and ask.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:27 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
PA is a shall issue state and I would imagine they would need a better reason than you haven't lived here long enough to not process the application. If I was denied for that reason I would pursue it.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:33 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
while pa is a shall issue state they did let the county's establish their own residency requirements as far as living in the county .

the pa guide to carrying firearms does raise that point . county's can have waiting requirements .

http://palicensetocarry.org/document...sive-Guide.pdf

Old 02-14-2017, 12:44 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
while pa is a shall issue state they did let the county's establish their own residency requirements as far as living in the county .

the pa guide to carrying firearms does raise that point . county's can have waiting requirements .

http://palicensetocarry.org/document...sive-Guide.pdf
It could have been ten years ago? But I went in to have my carry permit renewed and watched as a retired NY policeman was ushered out of the local sheriff's office because he did not live here long enough for references. He was told to come back after he lived here one year. As I got my permit renewed our sheriff was complaining about all the out of state police that demand carry permits when they first come into our State. He did not like the fact that he would have to rely on the references of people he did not know or have information on the source of that information.

Perhaps the argument is more of sharing information between states; like REAL ID that has been a problem with our PA driver's licenses and compliance with National standards?

Old 02-15-2017, 12:37 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
This is the actual Pike County application for a concealed permit:

https://www.pikepa.org/Sheriffs/LTCApp.pdf
ETA: There's also the Utah Permit.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:14 PM

55 posts, read 122,456 times
my wife just got hers. pretty simple she had to get three letters of recommendation, background check and application.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:13 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
the hardest part was the 3 letters , since when you move some place new no one knows you

Old 02-16-2017, 06:19 PM

55 posts, read 122,456 times
One of the recommendation letters was from a NYPD detective who does not live in Pike County. I am not sure how "local" the letter writer needs to be it probably helps, but I would think a letter from someone who has known the applicant for a # of years and can vouch and verify them would also help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania