Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 07:26 AM

182 posts, read 450,868 times

Advertisements

I don't have children. I joined a local church that helped. I think with most places once you get to know people and are around for a while they accept you. Now people have family generally close by and they will tend to stick with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 12:42 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia to Northeast PA View Post
I don't have children. I joined a local church that helped. I think with most places once you get to know people and are around for a while they accept you. Now people have family generally close by and they will tend to stick with them.
Thank you. Yes; groups help and it does not have to be a church. It could be anything from shooting ranges, to knitting, or flying model planes. As long as you share a common interest with others; you have a way to exchange ideas and make friends. Of course, because of the size of our area; we have limitations on what is available.

Of course we have seen reverse discrimination on these threads where people move in and expect us to be a sophisticated as their city friends and that does not always happen. Many of us are only concerned about issues that we 'feel' are important to us. That is where your groups, like your church, fit in to give the sides an opening point to start a dialog.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:58 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
One of the complaints that we see here at CD is the attitude of 'locals' towards transplants. Since you were originally here from Georgia; did you have any problems when you moved here? Did your children have any problems? It is one of the topics and I would be happy to hear your perspective.

Good luck with you move to Kansas!
I'm going to chime in here. We moved to the Poconos a year ago. Prior to that we lived in Warren County, NJ. We lived there for five years. I loved the landscape, farms, etc.
But I have to say we were never accepted as locals. The actual locals are not very friendly to those not born and raised there.

In the one year we are here, people have been great. I feel as though I'm a local already. We love our life here.

One thing that takes getting used to is the way people drive!! What is going on with that???? I can be doing 15 miles over the speed limit and I have people on my butt. The tailgating is crazy!!!

Old 08-05-2017, 06:10 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I'm going to chime in here. We moved to the Poconos a year ago. Prior to that we lived in Warren County, NJ. We lived there for five years. I loved the landscape, farms, etc.
But I have to say we were never accepted as locals. The actual locals are not very friendly to those not born and raised there.

In the one year we are here, people have been great. I feel as though I'm a local already. We love our life here.

One thing that takes getting used to is the way people drive!! What is going on with that???? I can be doing 15 miles over the speed limit and I have people on my butt. The tailgating is crazy!!!
Do not forget that you live in the County with the longest commute in the Nation. Some of those tailgaters are simply trying to cut some time off a very long commute or just want to get home - I am not making excuses for them; just trying to understand. I am also not trying to tell you that locals are perfect; I wasn't when I was young. Now I just pull over and let them pass or slow down.

When I was young I use to think that NJ had the worse drivers. However; I did get a short job in NJ for about six month. After spending one month in NJ I could spot a PA driver a mile away - I then thought that PA had the worst drivers. I now think it is all about familiarity and dealing with the cards that we are dealt.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:56 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,908 times
Quote:
Exactly the reason why transplants are not welcomed here.....they drive like they're in the city still....I just let them sit on my bumper all they want till they get a chance to pass me.....or a cop shows up and they either back off or I point them out.....

Old 08-05-2017, 09:45 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Quote:

I agree with this. We have been living Pittsburgh for 5 years and have never felt welcome at all. One more year and we will make Poconos our full time home. It has felt like home since we bought 10 years ago as a weekend house. My hubby has been living there for 1.5 years full time and loves it ; hates that we are apart, but otherwise loves it.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 3,190 times
Default Harding

Harding is nice, but I would suggest that if you do consider it, don't look anywhere along Rte 92. I grew up there and I have since moved and anytime I do get in the area and take a drive on 92 it just looks like a dump. Nothing but unkempt lawns and junk cars from Exeter to the Wyoming County line. There are nice places off of 92 like Apple Tree road and up in that area, but like I said before, all along 92 is really looking bad and is getting worse. I just wish that the present and future powers that be in that township would open their eyes and start to see what everybody else sees when traveling through there.
Sorry to anyone that may be offended with my perception, but it's what i see every time I am in that area.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:03 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Do not forget that you live in the County with the longest commute in the Nation. Some of those tailgaters are simply trying to cut some time off a very long commute or just want to get home - I am not making excuses for them; just trying to understand. I am also not trying to tell you that locals are perfect; I wasn't when I was young. Now I just pull over and let them pass or slow down.

When I was young I use to think that NJ had the worse drivers. However; I did get a short job in NJ for about six month. After spending one month in NJ I could spot a PA driver a mile away - I then thought that PA had the worst drivers. I now think it is all about familiarity and dealing with the cards that we are dealt.
I've been thinking that most of the time, they don't mean anything aggressive about it. It's just how they drive.

I do absolutely love it here though. I'm from NJ. PA is the fifth state I've lived in. I used to think VT was my second favorite to NJ but I'm surprised to find I just may like PA better than NJ. VT is great too.

Last edited by Jerseyt719; 08-06-2017 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: Stupid auto correct

Old 08-06-2017, 07:16 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimiNEPA View Post
Harding is nice, but I would suggest that if you do consider it, don't look anywhere along Rte 92. I grew up there and I have since moved and anytime I do get in the area and take a drive on 92 it just looks like a dump. Nothing but unkempt lawns and junk cars from Exeter to the Wyoming County line.
Depends, it's not a dump the whole way. Not sure if you are aware but that stretch of houses before Apple Tree were flooded as were many others in the lower lying areas. Just to give you an idea the top floor of the Apple Tree Restaurant was flooded to about the middle of the door, it's astonishing how much water that is.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:31 PM

4 posts, read 3,190 times
Yep, fully aware of the floods that took place in that township. Was there in '72 and all the others except the last one, I think 2011? The areas I suggested they look at were up Apple Tree and along Mt Zion road and throughout, it's nice up through there. That little stretch by the restaurant is probably the lowest point along the river and is constantly under threat of flooding whenever that river gets high enough. I'm just suggesting that maybe the people of the township would just do something to spruce up that whole stretch. You've got to admit it looks pretty rundown on that whole stretch. Harding has a lot of potential to be a real garden spot if the right people took the initiative to clean it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania