Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 03:47 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,314,110 times

Advertisements

As a huge fan of Shop Rite, I'd like to see it there.
Anything new on the on-again, off-again rumor about SR moving to Stroud Mall?
Along with the mall, Smithfield Gateway was discussed as a possible ShopRite site in this forum back in February.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 02:07 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,760,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I am voting for a Whole Foods market to go in that development. My 2nd choice would be Wegman's though.
I vote for Trader Joe's. Despite living near Jim Thorpe, I'd drive over for a TJs.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:53 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
This story has as its first paragraph:
MARSHALLS CREEK — Developers can officially move forward with the Smithfield Gateway: a massive shopping, business and residential hub slated for Marshalls Creek.

The project is nowhere near Marshalls Creek.
How can we believe anything else in the story?!

Old 07-26-2017, 07:09 AM

487 posts, read 1,374,632 times
I vote for Trader Joe's. Great shopping experience. They carry traditional food store items along with many unique items as well. Prices are great!

Old 07-31-2017, 06:39 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,348 times
Wegman's and even Whole Foods tend to set up shop in areas with above average family income and above average real estate values. Sadly, with the enormous school tax burden in Monroe County and the limited population density, I don't think that Wegman's would be able to turn a profit in East Stroudsburg. I also don't think the local road infrastructure is wide enough to allow enough traffic to flow into that shopping plaza to make it profitable. Sure, you would get the added traffic from NJ, since NJ tends to go crazy over Wegman's Shoppers flood grand opening of Hanover Wegmans

Sadly, I suspect that it will be just another Shop Rite or Weis Market. I don't think the region is quite yet ready for Wegman's yet. I don't even know how they would be able to find qualified job candidates in the area. 40% of all the caucasian millennials in the area wouldn't even pass a drug test because of the heroin epidemic.

Last edited by ughhnyc; 07-31-2017 at 07:40 PM..

Old 11-22-2017, 08:28 AM

115 posts, read 163,177 times
Forum been a little slow lately and i found this to watch so i thought i'd share.

From 8/29/17 discussing phase 1 starting this fall but i'm not sure it has.
A "loop back road" running behind the area to connect 209 and 447 further back than where the current traffic light is. Widen the road to 4 lanes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdDC8uzAfiw

I haven't gotten through it all yet just sharing the info.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:27 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
I haven't seen any activity there so far. Should be a gigantic pain for months when construction begins, though.

Old 11-23-2017, 03:34 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I haven't seen any activity there so far. Should be a gigantic pain for months when construction begins, though.
I have to presume that the new regulations and studies have slowed the process down.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,348 times
Coming from an area in NJ that had a Wegmans in my neighborhood, I'm not all that impressed by their menu. I had to order many times from Wegmans for corporate parties and I can tell you their menu consists of lots of high carb, high fat, high calorie, high priced. Lots of their veggies come from South and Central America. Tastes great, but not good for you. I personally knew the chef and he had put on 20 pounds since working there. This is mostly a take out joint...not good for people who have to actually cook for their families.
I'd much rather see a Trader Joes or Whole foods come in tho not sure if Whole Food is still building new brick mortar stores since Amazon took them online.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:39 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin33 View Post
Coming from an area in NJ that had a Wegmans in my neighborhood, I'm not all that impressed by their menu. I had to order many times from Wegmans for corporate parties and I can tell you their menu consists of lots of high carb, high fat, high calorie, high priced. Lots of their veggies come from South and Central America. Tastes great, but not good for you. I personally knew the chef and he had put on 20 pounds since working there. This is mostly a take out joint...not good for people who have to actually cook for their families.
I'd much rather see a Trader Joes or Whole foods come in tho not sure if Whole Food is still building new brick mortar stores since Amazon took them online.
For five years in the 1990's I worked out of Carlisle, PA driving truck. The headquarters of the Giant Market chain is located in Carlisle. At that time we had no competition here in Monroe County. So on more than one occasion I pitched to the corporate heads to at least study our area. I do not know if my pleas made any difference; but we did get the one Giant in Bartonsville.

What I would say to anybody, that thinks another company/chain does a better job; contact their home office and appeal to them to consider our area. The worst they can say to you is: No. However; there is the possibility that you might talk to the right person, at just the right time, while they are considering their next move. Nothing ventured; nothing gained.

You might even try starting another thread on what supermarket chains you would like to see in our County. Possibly you could get others together to make your appeal to the company? Personally I am not familiar with Trader Joes or Whole foods or I might support your effort - although I do embrace more competition.

PS Welcome to our forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania