Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:55 AM

433 posts, read 959,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I think I answered this already........but..........Things I love about PA.

The People...their friendlyness and down to earth attitudes.
The Mountains.... They seem to hug you, surround you.......even times like in Lehigh
we drive "through" our huge, stately mountains!
The Lakes.......They are big, beautiful, they have coves......and we don't
have to worry about alligators when we're swimming or tubeing on
them.
Our History.........Places like Philly, Gettysburg, Valley Forge...........all around us.
We can feel that history.
Nature............. Wild turkeys, deer, bunnies, bears........Just awesome nature around

Our State Parks... Just a ton of beautiful State Parks, and some with sky
high waterfalls. Gorgeous.
Our fairs, festivals, and Arenas..........a wealth of fun and entertainment.

I love Pennsylvania and when I am away for long..........It always calls me back home.
Just a tad bit of the snow I'd do without, maybe an ice storm or two.........
But, Christmas in PA can't be beat.....Its joyous here and fun.
A M E N to the alligators -- that's one reason I despised living in FL.
One crawled up on the sidewalk one day when I was on my daily hike.
He/she/it was a matter of feet away from me -- scared the "you know what" outta me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 06:39 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Nope, no alligators............but.............the little guy did get bit by a snake when he removed a rock off of a pooled area by the falls.
Motto: Don't move rocks by falls

Old 08-23-2008, 06:45 PM

347 posts, read 1,149,423 times
I do want to take a trip up to Scranton and Wilkes Barre again to see everything but my father just wont by into it (he is a city hater). It pains me to live in "Suburbia" here in York County (Sadly I don't live in Tremont anymore) and it would pain me to see the suburban sprawl in my beloved NEPA. I am very glad that the sprawl has not found its way into my favorite county... yet.

Last edited by tremontpa; 08-23-2008 at 07:02 PM..

Old 08-23-2008, 07:27 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Perhaps your old neck of the woods in Schuylkill County hasn't, but alas much of Northeastern Pennsylvania is starting to fall victim to this. You may wish to visit Wilkes-Barre Township, Dickson City, The Pittstons, the Back Mountain, Mountain Top, The Stroudsburgs, The Abingtons, etc. to get a glimpse of what I mean.
I think W-B Twp. and Dickson city sprawl is good. W-B Twp (where the Arena now sits) used to be a humungous strip mine pit, it was hideous looking, it looked like the surface of the moon. People used to dump tons and tons of trash up thier, then vandals would set it on fire. I remember there would be gigantic tire fires up there that would last for days, thick black smoke would stink up the entire valley. Now it's one of the most bustling areas in the region. The real estate up thier is more expensive then anywhere in the valley. I don't want urban sprawl to spread out into farmlands and countrysides, but the towns and areas surrounding W-B and Scranton were meant for this, they are cities afterall.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:22 PM

I believe in the expansion and growth of cities but the "suburbia" that smothers cities with highways, malls, and expansive housing developments is what bothers me. The destruction of our wilderness for such things really detracts from the cities and surrounding towns. My personal draw to cities are the cultural things (theater, orchestras, jazz club, art museums, history museums), beautiful architecture, the history of the cities, and the unique shopping experiences they have to offer.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:23 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times
Well I think that the "urban areas" in and around our cities are in a metro area, and development is good for these areas (especially old factories and brownfields), but I do not want to see our beautiful natural area's to be destroyed in order to put up more housing developments (like what has happened in and around Allentown and the Lehigh Valley). One of the major attractions of our area is the beauty and nature we have. If we bulldoze over those area's, our area will lose the charm that people from big cities move here for in the first place. There isn't a need to pave over these natural area's when our cities have plenty of old industrial area's that would make great , new housing developments.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:48 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,127,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I think I answered this already........but..........Things I love about PA.

The People...their friendlyness and down to earth attitudes.
The Mountains.... They seem to hug you, surround you.......even times like in Lehigh
we drive "through" our huge, stately mountains!
The Lakes.......They are big, beautiful, they have coves......and we don't
have to worry about alligators when we're swimming or tubeing on
them.
Our History.........Places like Philly, Gettysburg, Valley Forge...........all around us.
We can feel that history.
Nature............. Wild turkeys, deer, bunnies, bears........Just awesome nature around

Our State Parks... Just a ton of beautiful State Parks, and some with sky
high waterfalls. Gorgeous.
Our fairs, festivals, and Arenas..........a wealth of fun and entertainment.

I love Pennsylvania and when I am away for long..........It always calls me back home.
Just a tad bit of the snow I'd do without, maybe an ice storm or two.........
But, Christmas in PA can't be beat.....Its joyous here and fun.
and you also love...making all...the dots....

Old 08-25-2008, 11:54 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Yeah, I am the official CD Dot maker..........
Anyone need dots..........come to Summering.........

Old 08-25-2008, 03:55 PM

35 posts, read 120,369 times
One of my hobbies is paleontology and NEPA is chock full of fossil hunting sites. Some are world famous like the St. Clair Fern Beds near Pottsville. Also I appreciate the cost of living. Your dollar goes a lot farther here than other places I've lived.....

Old 08-26-2008, 10:43 AM

I also like the slow pace of life and being able to just go with the flow. You don't have to schedule your life every day of the year. You can pick up and get a haircut whenever, go out to dinner on any given day without needing a reservation, and you can go for a hike whenever you have an hour or two free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania