Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:25 PM

182 posts, read 450,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Well, beyond the epic SWB vs. weluvpa vs. CHS89 arguments about Scranton's political climate, the majority of the posts on here have been very informative and have led to the development of many friendships. I'm becoming inspired again to see fine folks like Blip, Georgia to Northeast PA, Jwells, etc., because now I feel like we can FINALLY stop the banter and go back to this forum's original purpose---helping people who need it so that they can find their own dream homes here in NEPA.
And from one of those who need the help, I really appreciate it. Thanks to all those who have helped provide information. SWB, because of you and the members here I am thinking of buying a brick at the Nay Aug Park to rebuild the pavillion as adding my positiveness to the area, it is something I can do from here. I wonder if there is anything I can do from here on Earth Day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 10:06 PM

223 posts, read 796,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia to Northeast PA View Post
We I am still in Georgia but we are coming up the first week of April to go house hunting. So everyone pray for us then to find the perfect house. We have a little time, we don't have to be there until the end of August but I would be a good step to find our house
Come on up to Montrose, plenty of first class homes for sale and endless mountains to play in.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:01 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
Well, beyond the epic SWB vs. weluvpa vs. CHS89 arguments about Scranton's political climate, the majority of the posts on here have been very informative and have led to the development of many friendships. I'm becoming inspired again to see fine folks like Blip, Georgia to Northeast PA, Jwells, etc., because now I feel like we can FINALLY stop the banter and go back to this forum's original purpose---helping people who need it so that they can find their own dream homes here in NEPA.
I sometimes enjoy the back and forth banter when we argue about Scranton. It brings passion and fire to a board that sometimes gets dull. You can only talk about restaurants and houses for so long. Sometimes you need an injection of honest talk and debates about life.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:59 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I sometimes enjoy the back and forth banter when we argue about Scranton. It brings passion and fire to a board that sometimes gets dull. You can only talk about restaurants and houses for so long. Sometimes you need an injection of honest talk and debates about life.
The problem is that when Dan, myself, and CHS89 go at it we ruffle a LOT of people's feathers---people who couldn't give a rat's rear-end about Scranton or its political climate and don't appreciate having it rammed down their throats every second. I can recall perhaps a year ago very vividly when Greentown reamed me out specifically along the lines of "not everyone cares about Scranton." I think that as cultural hubs our entire region should be concerned about what's happening in both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, but to each his or her own I suppose. I also remember a reply from MermanMike expressing a similar disgust with how every other thread on here spirals downwards into a political debate, and I can't say I blame him.

A couple of formerly active and beloved members specifically bid me a fond farewell via DM because of the nasty overtone this sub-forum was taking with the political brou-ha-has, and I still feel very guilty for my 1/3 of that occurring. I enjoy healthy debates as well, but when they start to repel people from not only this forum but also from pondering relocating to NEPA in general, then we really need to examine our priorities. Is it important to incessantly "enlighten" everyone about the "harsh realities of life," or is it better to just keep quiet and hope that newcomers with fresh ideas will bring a renaissance?

Old 03-23-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
The problem is that when Dan, myself, and CHS89 go at it we ruffle a LOT of people's feathers---people who couldn't give a rat's rear-end about Scranton or its political climate and don't appreciate having it rammed down their throats every second. I can recall perhaps a year ago very vividly when Greentown reamed me out specifically along the lines of "not everyone cares about Scranton." I think that as cultural hubs our entire region should be concerned about what's happening in both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, but to each his or her own I suppose. I also remember a reply from MermanMike expressing a similar disgust with how every other thread on here spirals downwards into a political debate, and I can't say I blame him.

A couple of formerly active and beloved members specifically bid me a fond farewell via DM because of the nasty overtone this sub-forum was taking with the political brou-ha-has, and I still feel very guilty for my 1/3 of that occurring. I enjoy healthy debates as well, but when they start to repel people from not only this forum but also from pondering relocating to NEPA in general, then we really need to examine our priorities. Is it important to incessantly "enlighten" everyone about the "harsh realities of life," or is it better to just keep quiet and hope that newcomers with fresh ideas will bring a renaissance?
I may be naive but I think we can talk about the area in a positive way but still have healthy debate. Let's get a little perspective shall we. I visited my Altanta forum because I thought I could do some good there for anyone that might be thinking of moving there because of the help that I feel I have gotten here. Now I know you all are going there to check it out but I was embarrased. Just in some posts that I have read and responded to words can not describe how disappointed I was and disenfranchised I felt reading the posts. I realized there was unfortunately nothing I really could add that would be of help. So if we can forgive one another for being human and making mistakes, then that would be wonderful.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:25 PM

Georgia, I would try not to take anything stated on this forum too personally. For as much as weluvpa (Dan) and I feud incessantly about Scranton, I actually have a lot of respect for him. While I disagree with his approach, you still have to admire someone who isn't afraid to speak their mind when they feel they have something important to say to a willing audience. He thinks I'm all "Pollyanna," and I think he's all "gloom and doom." CHS89 thinks we're both nuts who need pshyciatric evaluation, and NYRangers2008 tries to back away from the cyber-bloodshed whenever possible. MrKrabs is really the only one you can give a lot of credence to, as he has experienced life in both the city and the suburbs, schools in both, etc. and can be critical of the current mayor while ALSO not coming off as being anti-city. Dan lets his sour experiences with city officials sour his outlook on the city as a whole, and I myself get out my pom-poms without having anything SOLID to base them on. People align themselves either towards he or myself when in reality neither of us are telling the entire story of the city.

You really shouldn't be afraid to express your opinions, regardless of how unpopular they may seem. I just posted a MEGA reply to the "New Yorkers in Scranton" thread that I'm sure is about to elicit a lot of anger, but so be it. I don't intend for it to be inflammatory or trolling in nature, but I know it will push Dan's buttons to the point of continuing that debate. Why? I honestly LIKE our debates, even though they often get out of hand when others jump into the fray. It helps to keep both of our minds sharp.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Georgia, I would try not to take anything stated on this forum too personally. For as much as weluvpa (Dan) and I feud incessantly about Scranton, I actually have a lot of respect for him. While I disagree with his approach, you still have to admire someone who isn't afraid to speak their mind when they feel they have something important to say to a willing audience. He thinks I'm all "Pollyanna," and I think he's all "gloom and doom." CHS89 thinks we're both nuts who need pshyciatric evaluation, and NYRangers2008 tries to back away from the cyber-bloodshed whenever possible. MrKrabs is really the only one you can give a lot of credence to, as he has experienced life in both the city and the suburbs, schools in both, etc. and can be critical of the current mayor while ALSO not coming off as being anti-city. Dan lets his sour experiences with city officials sour his outlook on the city as a whole, and I myself get out my pom-poms without having anything SOLID to base them on. People align themselves either towards he or myself when in reality neither of us are telling the entire story of the city.

You really shouldn't be afraid to express your opinions, regardless of how unpopular they may seem. I just posted a MEGA reply to the "New Yorkers in Scranton" thread that I'm sure is about to elicit a lot of anger, but so be it. I don't intend for it to be inflammatory or trolling in nature, but I know it will push Dan's buttons to the point of continuing that debate. Why? I honestly LIKE our debates, even though they often get out of hand when others jump into the fray. It helps to keep both of our minds sharp.
You are bad SWB to get him worked up so but I suspect he likes it as well.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia to Northeast PA View Post
You are bad SWB to get him worked up so but I suspect he likes it as well.
In an odd sense we have a symbiotic relationship. We thrive off of one another's displeasure.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:14 PM

183 posts, read 611,167 times
Smile SWB I have a question

When you did the Green Ridge tour, did you see 1675 Sanderson Ave?
Happy Easter.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwb View Post
When you did the Green Ridge tour, did you see 1675 Sanderson Ave?
Happy Easter.
Happy Easter to you as well. What exactly is at 1675 Sanderson? Is it a private home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania