Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 01:30 PM

13 posts, read 10,468 times

Advertisements

My nephew will be starting a one year rotation at the VA Hospital in Wilkes-Barre sometime in May 2018. Not knowing anything about the area, where would be a good, safe place to live? He is looking for a 2-3 bedroom house or townhouse with 1-1/2 to 2 bathrooms. It will be him, his girlfriend, a dog, and a possible roommate. Any advice on neighborhoods or areas without a long commute? Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 04:12 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,080 times
Wilkeswood Apartments - Wilkeswood - Wilkes Barre - PA

Wilkeswood is right next to the VA and I know people that live there and are happy. You also have Mayflower Crossing although some will tell you it's not a nice area I beg to differ. If you get an apartment on the top floor overlooking the empty lot and Solomon's Creek it's private.

Mayflower Crossing | Apartments in Wilkes Barre, PA

Old 12-27-2017, 04:23 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
What is his rent budget? Commuting to the VA hospital is pretty easy from either Wilkes-Barre or Kingston (via the north cross valley expressway). There are plenty of house rentals in those locations with back yards for the dog. Newer more expensive home rentals will be in the "back mountain," still not a bad commute. Click the link below for a sample from Craig's List on what's available.

https://scranton.craigslist.org/d/ap...ent/search/apa

I'd buy an online subscription to the "Times Leader" newspaper, which has the most rental advertising in the area. Doesn't the VA provide housing advice to employees?

Old 12-27-2017, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check about budget. I know they would prefer a place with a yard for the dog in a safe neighborhood with an easy commute. All are from Florida and have no experience driving in wintry conditions. Thanks again

Old 12-27-2017, 09:04 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Chefkey, Wells, how are Parsons and Miners' Mills these days? They're close to the hospital.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:49 AM

The max budget is $1500 and they would prefer a house with a yard for the dog. I think they also would like to be near shopping, restaurants, etc. Thanks again everyone

Last edited by sabryan; 12-28-2017 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: Additional info

Old 12-28-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabryan View Post
The max budget is $1500 and they would prefer a house with a yard for the dog. I think they also would like to be near shopping, restaurants, etc. Thanks again everyone

With that budget, they could easily rent a large older home in WB or Kingston or part of a home (either a double block or a single floor of an older house W/separate entrance). The ultimate luxury would be a house with an attached garage so they don't have to clean the snow off of their car or cars.

Much cheaper house rentals are available in the "west side" communities of Luzerne, Edwardsville, Plymouth. Larksville, Swoyersville and going farther afield in Pittston, West Pittston, Wyoming, Exeter and Dupont.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Chefkey, Wells, how are Parsons and Miners' Mills these days? They're close to the hospital.

Both are sections of WB. I neglected to mention Plains and Plains Township.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:02 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Both are sections of WB. I neglected to mention Plains and Plains Township.
Yes they are, and they're very close to the VA. That's why I mentioned them.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:39 AM

Thanks everyone. Are all the mentioned areas safe? Yes, a garage would be ideal :-) I will forward all the info to my nephew along with the link so he can stay updated in case anyone posts any new info. Really appreciate the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania