Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 05:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

The Lackawanna mine tour is right off of 476, 81 is just right up the road. I don't think you'll find anything that is easier for on/off the highway. They take you into the mine itself, very interesting if you have never been in one. There is also a small museum there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21_SZzadXAI

From there you can also go up 11 instead of 81. Very nice drive for most of it before you hook up with 81 and it won't be much longer than taking 81. It goes through Nicholson which has the worlds largest reinforced concrete bridge.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 07:06 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Even in the summer they might want to bring along a coat for the coal mine tour. Isn't the temperature about 50 degrees year round?

Old 03-01-2018, 07:46 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
we were in the coal mine in july and we were freezing

Old 03-01-2018, 08:40 AM

670 posts, read 480,049 times
Scranton seems to be definitely on the way for us so that could be an option. We were looking for a somewhat charming town to explore so not sure if chinchilla would be an option for that? It looks like it may be more commercialized? The coal mine tour sounds fun so will definitely look in to that. Never did something like that before! Also, in looking at the map, it also looks like we drive through Binghamton. Maybe that would be worthwhile to take a little breather and explore after the stop in PA.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:12 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
Scranton seems to be definitely on the way for us so that could be an option. We were looking for a somewhat charming town to explore so not sure if chinchilla would be an option for that? It looks like it may be more commercialized? The coal mine tour sounds fun so will definitely look in to that. Never did something like that before! Also, in looking at the map, it also looks like we drive through Binghamton. Maybe that would be worthwhile to take a little breather and explore after the stop in PA.
You have many 'good' recommendations above. Key factors are how much time do you want to plan for AND what are the priorities?
  • drive time off-on 81N or 476 (both are possible and convenient to many of these places... use Google maps or similar tool to see/estimate the drives if any question...and Tripadvisor and Yelp to check out venues) )
  • 'sightseeing' activity (e.g. mine tour, Steamtown are nice...but will take some time to enjoy)
  • walking - stretching (exercise? attractions/sights, window shopping?)
  • dining (sit down fancy, simple lunch, or grab n go for the road-takeout)
...and all of this will obviously affect the trip time/arrival if it matters much.

Have fun. Planning is often as good as doing

Chinchilla is mostly shopping/dining but would be very quick off-on with large selection of fast, deli, sit down dining. Not so good walking.

Clarks Summit (2 more minutes off 81) is nicer/better walking through town and looking but not comparable to Steamtown or Mine Tour It has some nice sit down dining and specialty food places (the bakery and ice cream shops) places...nothing "fancy" but nice informal.

Obviously you can try to combine a coupla, two, tree (NEPA talk) items mentioned here together but will eat up more time...you decide what you want to prioritize and invest re: the overall trip.

(Binghamton should be explored elsewhere...I have been there a few times but have no fond memories of the place...maybe others here do.) I would investigate making a left there and maybe goto Corning Glass and/or Watkins Glen areas for something to do...but by then you are close to destination.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Isn't the temperature about 50 degrees year round?
I think it's usually around 55ish, yea, bring a sweater.

The Lackawanna mine tour is interesting but if you are really interested in something like this the no.9 in Lansford is far better. That's really not going to break up your trip much because it's just little to the northwest of Allentown. It's about in the middle of 81 and 476. You'd have to travel through Jim Thorpe to get there, might be an interesting town to visit.

Last edited by thecoalman; 03-01-2018 at 01:29 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post

Have fun. Planning is often as good as doing
The best trips I ever took in my life was with my cousin in my 20's. We did three cross country trips. We'd point the car in a direction and had one of those big Rand Mcnally maps.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:08 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The best trips I ever took in my life was with my cousin in my 20's. We did three cross country trips. We'd point the car in a direction and had one of those big Rand Mcnally maps.
We didn't have the Internet, GPS devices, and a target destination with reservations (...or waiting friends, I'm guessing something like this for the OP) at the other end

I recall making similar trips without maps...just not as far. Some worked better than others but it was fun. The good ol' days.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:29 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
We didn't have the Internet, GPS devices, and a target destination with reservations (...or waiting friends, I'm guessing something like this for the OP) at the other end

I recall making similar trips without maps...just not as far. Some worked better than others but it was fun. The good ol' days.
When gas was 27 cents a gallon.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:12 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i spent last july in skaneateles on the finger lakes . what a great touristy town . i worked in the area for a few weeks and we loved it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania