Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 03:36 PM

182 posts, read 450,781 times

Advertisements

Ok this house search thing is a little overwhelming. So I started thinking about the little things in life. How about since spring is here, where locally can I go to get my flowers to plant in a house I don't have yet ? Can you tell I have been gardening here in Georgia. Also how about cable vs. satellite TV. How about cable or high-speed internet for the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 04:11 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia to Northeast PA View Post
Ok this house search thing is a little overwhelming. So I started thinking about the little things in life. How about since spring is here, where locally can I go to get my flowers to plant in a house I don't have yet ? Can you tell I have been gardening here in Georgia. Also how about cable vs. satellite TV. How about cable or high-speed internet for the area?
We use Comcast here in Northern Luzerne County for our cable and high-speed internet access, and we've been generally pleased. I think Service Electric Cable services the Wilkes-Barre area, and Scranton and its suburbs to our north generally use Comcast as well. We have friends who have been pleased with DirectTV.

There are a lot of smaller garden centers around here, along with the bigger retailers like Lowe's, Home Depot, K-Mart, and Wal-Mart. In the Back Mountain (Dallas Area) you'll find Rave's Garden Center (they did the landscaping work for WNEP-TV's "backyard"). There's also Creekside Gardens Nursey near Tunkhannock. Dunmore has a popular nursery, but it's name is escaping me right now. There's a nursery just off Exit 4 of the Cross-Valley Expressway in Forty Fort, as well as Penn State Seed along Wyoming Avenue (Route 11) in Forty Fort. I think there's also a popular place called Corky's Garden Path near Clarks Summit, and Greystone Gardens in that area is also very popular.

Welcome in advance to the area.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:29 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,000 times
Quote:
We are opting for Comcast for high speed internet ($59 a month), and satellite with Dish Network ($53 a month, includes 3 boxes, HD package and local channels). The reason we're going with Dish for TV, as opposed to Comcast for our cable is because their prices are a lot lower than Comcast, and there is no committment. You COULD sign up for a 2 year commitment and get $170 off (that's the deal they're running now), but we don't want to be tied to anything. We like to always keep our options open )

Old 03-24-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
We use Comcast here in Northern Luzerne County for our cable and high-speed internet access, and we've been generally pleased. I think Service Electric Cable services the Wilkes-Barre area, and Scranton and its suburbs to our north generally use Comcast as well. We have friends who have been pleased with DirectTV.

There are a lot of smaller garden centers around here, along with the bigger retailers like Lowe's, Home Depot, K-Mart, and Wal-Mart. In the Back Mountain (Dallas Area) you'll find Rave's Garden Center (they did the landscaping work for WNEP-TV's "backyard"). There's also Creekside Gardens Nursey near Tunkhannock. Dunmore has a popular nursery, but it's name is escaping me right now. There's a nursery just off Exit 4 of the Cross-Valley Expressway in Forty Fort, as well as Penn State Seed along Wyoming Avenue (Route 11) in Forty Fort. I think there's also a popular place called Corky's Garden Path near Clarks Summit, and Greystone Gardens in that area is also very popular.

Welcome in advance to the area.
Thanks sounds like I can add those to my list when I travel around getting the feel for the area. Any signs of spring yet around the area?

Old 03-24-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
We are opting for Comcast for high speed internet ($59 a month), and satellite with Dish Network ($53 a month, includes 3 boxes, HD package and local channels). The reason we're going with Dish for TV, as opposed to Comcast for our cable is because their prices are a lot lower than Comcast, and there is no committment. You COULD sign up for a 2 year commitment and get $170 off (that's the deal they're running now), but we don't want to be tied to anything. We like to always keep our options open )
Thanks EnyaGirl, those options sound good. What area did you and your family settle in?

Old 03-24-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks EnyaGirl, those options sound good. What area did you and your family settle in?
You're welcome We are settling in Dallas. We closed this past Saturday, but will officially be moved in on April 22nd

Old 03-24-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
You're welcome We are settling in Dallas. We closed this past Saturday, but will officially be moved in on April 22nd
Congratulations, where are you moving from? I hope you will like it in your new home, it can be very exciting.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:37 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,682 times
I'm curious.

What made you part with the fine year-round weather in GA?

When I'm in GA, I love visiting Savannah and eating at the Olde Pink House right on Abercorn in the Historic District. My family used to be quite the Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil book buffs (read it 3 times myself), and the city itself is worth the excursion from Myrtle Beach for the late afternoon, early night. Other than Savannah, Charleston/Fort Sumter, and brief flight stopovers in ATL, I haven't experienced much else of the state.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
I'm curious.

What made you part with the fine year-round weather in GA?

When I'm in GA, I love visiting Savannah and eating at the Olde Pink House right on Abercorn in the Historic District. My family used to be quite the Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil book buffs (read it 3 times myself), and the city itself is worth the excursion from Myrtle Beach for the late afternoon, early night. Other than Savannah, Charleston/Fort Sumter, and brief flight stopovers in ATL, I haven't experienced much else of the state.
I am in Georgia now and looking to relocate to the NEPA/Scranton/Dunmore area. Savannah is a nice area gets very humid in the summer. I love Georgia weather particularly where I am near Atlanta. We have all the change of seasons but little snow (may be a dusting here in the AM but gone by lunch). I love the location I am in (just 20 min to the airport and about 30 min into the city). We are educators and we are looking for a career challenge. We are realtively young and feel we have time to retire down south and its funny you mentioned Myrtle Beach because we love to golf there. I guess PA is fine because I was born in PA, grew up in Delaware, went to college in Philadephia and we have lived in Georgia almost 6 years now. Family in PA none in NEPA but Lancaster area, philadephia and Delaware so we will be closer as they get older.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Congratulations, where are you moving from? I hope you will like it in your new home, it can be very exciting.
I'm originally from northern, NJ, but about a year ago moved out to the Philly area. My husband and I thought we would be settling there, until we realized how high the housing prices are out there. I have a couple friends who live in Wilkes Barre, and in visiting them over the last 10 years or so, have come to really love the area, so given the housing prices and the fact that my husband gets paid the same for work no matter where we live (he travels, so as long as we're within an hour of an airport...) we decided to make the move out to NEPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania