Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 06:03 PM

103 posts, read 361,475 times

Advertisements

I remember Stop & Go but never really hung out there. Some of my friends did from school. My best friend did and met a football player from Valley West and ended up getting in trouble. That was around 1970.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 12:35 PM

272 posts, read 1,003,207 times
1970, I was still in the Air Force, I used to hang out at the Stop and Go during the late 60s, at that time there was no mall, and we used to drag race up pass whent is now the Mall, were the Mall is now used to be the city dump, the only restrunt was a steakhouse were the enterante to the mall is now. boy have things have changed.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:39 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Thanks Waspa. It was the Wild Mouse! I knew Might Mouse didn't sound right. Mighty Mouse was the cartoon I watched as a kid! Mighty Mouse and Heckle & Jeckle. Boy now I am really remembering my childhood!!
Don't forget Speed Racer and VaVOOM who was on Felix the Cat show....where have all the good cartoons gone??? VaVOOM as my favorite because he solved his problems with a giant YELL that would obliterate mountains!!! This is a great thread.

I also remember as a kid going to a farm in Hunlock Creek and always stopping on the way back at the McDonald's on the San Soui Parkway for $35 burgers and the hot apple pies, which I think at the time were $0.25.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:40 AM

That McDonalds was the one I grew up on. I remember even when it first opened. My father always took us there and we ate in the car. Years later when it was just me and my mom we always went there and still ate in the car sometimes. Or in the back on the tables. When Nanticoke was evacuated we had to go to Hanover H.S. They had food for us but we left it for the kids and we went to McDonalds. Most of my cousins from Glen Lyon worked there.
Boy talking about the cartoons. I remember after school around 5 watching Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw McGraw. And the Soupy Sales Show! For how weird it was I LOVED that show.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:49 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
I didn't grow up in Nanticoke, but my grandmother lived there & we'd visit quite often due to her living alone & being up in years.

I remember Sans Souci & also a "distributor" near the base of the hill going up to Honeypot (probably somewhere near Main Street) where my dad would buy his case of Stegmeier beer & he'd let me fill a plastic "crate" with big glass bottles of cream soda, sarsparilla & birch beer.

I was hoping to visit Nanticoke a few weeks back when we flew up to NY, but (of course) I got sick & ended up in bed 3 days & had to cancel all plans...Murphy's Law!!

Old 04-27-2008, 12:59 PM

I remember that distributor by Honeypot. They used to sell candy in there or next to it. Can't remember which. In Parochial School the nuns would buy candy there and sold it at school. My father was the one who took the nuns there to buy the candy.
My father might of bought soda there to but we used to mostly get those big bottles of soda at the fruit market on Market St. across from Kornkiewicz Pharmacy. There is a bank there now. The crate we had for the soda was wooden. I hated the cream soda and the birch beer. But my father loved it. I always picked out the lime and orange and cola ones.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:59 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
I remember that distributor by Honeypot. They used to sell candy in there or next to it. Can't remember which. In Parochial School the nuns would buy candy there and sold it at school. My father was the one who took the nuns there to buy the candy.
My father might of bought soda there to but we used to mostly get those big bottles of soda at the fruit market on Market St. across from Kornkiewicz Pharmacy. There is a bank there now. The crate we had for the soda was wooden. I hated the cream soda and the birch beer. But my father loved it. I always picked out the lime and orange and cola ones.
LOL!! I went to Catholic grade school & back then the nuns wore full habits with only their face & hands showing. For the longest time we though they were "space aliens" 'cause you never saw their feet & they just kinda "floated" along with those floor-length habits!!!

No WONDER I turned out the way I am!!!!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
That McDonalds was the one I grew up on. I remember even when it first opened. My father always took us there and we ate in the car. Years later when it was just me and my mom we always went there and still ate in the car sometimes. Or in the back on the tables. When Nanticoke was evacuated we had to go to Hanover H.S. They had food for us but we left it for the kids and we went to McDonalds. Most of my cousins from Glen Lyon worked there.
Boy talking about the cartoons. I remember after school around 5 watching Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw McGraw. And the Soupy Sales Show! For how weird it was I LOVED that show.
Don't forget the Flintstones! Bam Bam! Also, wasn't there a distributor next to that McDonald's? I think I remember my dad going in there but I can't remember. across the street was a factory but I don't know what they made. I also remember to wards Nanticoke on the San Soui highway was a slipper factory named Alta Products, my uncle worked there for years until it closed its doors and took their slippers over seas.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:15 AM

I remember the Flintstones were on TV on Friday nights around 8:30 I think. Loved that cartoon. I remember the factory across from McDonalds but can't remember the name. New some people who worked there. I also remember the distributor next to McDonalds. We went in there for soda and my father beer.
I remember my old neighbors son worked in Alta. Alta was across from San Souci.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I remember the Flintstones were on TV on Friday nights around 8:30 I think. Loved that cartoon. I remember the factory across from McDonalds but can't remember the name. New some people who worked there. I also remember the distributor next to McDonalds. We went in there for soda and my father beer.
I remember my old neighbors son worked in Alta. Alta was across from San Souci.
Do you know if anything moved into the old Alta Product Bldg? I have been out of the area over 25 yearsw now so lost touch of what the area is doing and try to keep up on this forum.

I don't think I have had Birch beer since I left the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania