Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2020, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,143 times

Advertisements

I'm in the market to buy a 2nd home in the Poconos - Arrowhead Lakes or similar... basically somewhere near to the slopes and on or near-ish to a lake.

I have tried contacting multiple realtors to find a buyers agent to partner with but no one calls me back. What gives? I've never even gotten to tell them my house requirements or price range... it's like a black hole. I've even tried contacting sellers agents on specific homes to try to visit the day they are listed, and they don't call me back either.

Is this typical in this area? Anyone have any advice or recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 06:12 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,910,462 times
Try calling the listing agent of a house you think you like. If you don't like that house, chances are the listing agent will start sending you similar properties to look at. When ever I have searched I would find an agent this way and they are motivated to make money they will work for you. If they don't then move on to the next.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Try calling the listing agent of a house you think you like. If you don't like that house, chances are the listing agent will start sending you similar properties to look at. When ever I have searched I would find an agent this way and they are motivated to make money they will work for you. If they don't then move on to the next.
I've tried that too. I'd think listing agents would be motivated to sell their homes but it seems like that might not be the case... or maybe they just don't like my voice.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:24 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,910,462 times
No worries, just use Zillow or Trulia, and a few others if you google real estate and then just call the listing agent. You are a motivated buyer, they're not going to turn away potential customers. I rarely ask realtors to show me things because they hardly ever get what you want right. Easier to search yourself and then call about it

Old 08-13-2020, 10:29 PM

5,308 posts, read 6,229,698 times
Didn't you post once before asking for the name of a buyer's agent in Tioga County?

Any agent outside of the real estate office that lists the property is a buyer's agent. The listing agent is the seller's agent and the other agents in that office are sub agents and also represent the seller. Many agents in a real estate office are dual agents. They will assist the seller when their office lists the property and the buyer on multi list. Confusing.

http://www.prc-pa.net/pdf/ConsumerNotice_12-08.pdf

Old 08-14-2020, 05:59 AM

599 posts, read 503,336 times
I bought, sold and built properties in the area you are shopping in, for three decades. I have often heard the comment that, in some fields, 20% of the players do 80% of the work, and other variations of the same theme. This is the perfect description of the real estate market in the Poconos. The good, to great, agents and brokers are swamped with clients at the moment, working their tails off, and making a pile of cheddar. The other eighty percent are stumbling around in circles, not returning calls, and making life torturous for any client they have and any poor agent or buyer that has to partner with them to make a deal happen.

Every few years I would get one that was so bad that I would have to call their broker and ask why they are employing somebody so horrendously incompetent that they are in danger of blowing a deal, where all they are asked to do is some very basic things, like show up at appointments, return calls, submit documents to smart people that know what to do with them, etc..Being an agent has an extremely low entry bar, and some lazy brokers will hire anybody with a pulse. their theory is, since even a blind squirrel stumbles on a nut every so often, likewise, every incompetent agent closes a deal every so often, so if there is a commission to split, the broker feels it's best that they even idiots are signed with their agency instead of the competition.

Sorry this is such a battle for you, but it's stunningly common.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Didn't you post once before asking for the name of a buyer's agent in Tioga County?

Any agent outside of the real estate office that lists the property is a buyer's agent. The listing agent is the seller's agent and the other agents in that office are sub agents and also represent the seller. Many agents in a real estate office are dual agents. They will assist the seller when their office lists the property and the buyer on multi list. Confusing.

http://www.prc-pa.net/pdf/ConsumerNotice_12-08.pdf
Wasn't me. I've bought many houses and so understand how these agents work, but all of my past experience was with buyers agents motivated to make money. I can search houses myself on the various mls sites... just need someone to help me coordinate all things buying related.. Thanks for your insight.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:16 PM

48 posts, read 58,542 times
I've had great experiences with my local agent, but I'm pretty sure I can't put his name/number on this site. I just sent you a DM with his contact information. I would not have gotten the house I got - at the price I got - without Mike. And he's even told me to "run away" from houses I liked otherwise. Highly recommended.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 510 times
I am working with an agent, and she is great. She tells me market is hot, out of 2500 offered for sale in the spring now there is about 600. : ( . A couple of offers I made - I was overbid. Even giving a full price offer did not not help, I guess people now buy with cash and not mortgage and demand is high at this time.
Waiting to hear about current offer on a fixer this time : (. ( hopefully heating /roof /septic/ water systems work, the rest will have to work on) . I was hoping to move by September but this will not happen now. Maybe October..

Old 08-23-2020, 09:13 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,159,155 times
[quote=NadiaP18424;58974159]I am working with an agent, and she is great. She tells me market is hot, out of 2500 offered for sale in the spring now there is about 600. : ( . A couple of offers I made - I was overbid. Even giving a full price offer did not not help, I guess people now buy with cash and not mortgage and demand is high at this time./quote]

They also offer cash in the hand in addition to the price the house is being sold for....some people can afford to do that in an effort to get the house at whatever cost.....check out this story on Marketwatch.com:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...ay-2020-08-21?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania