Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2020, 10:17 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,981,668 times

Advertisements

I lived in NEPA, outside of Scranton, for 18 months and never knew the area produced the cards I opened and gum I ate as a kid. It is my understanding that cards were manufactured in Duryea from the mid-60s to late 90's and the factory had been long closed by the time I moved to the area.

Anyone here on C-D work there or have family that did? A few years back a treasure trove of unopened Topps cards from the 70s was sold, I believe to Baseball Card Exchange, that a former Topps employee held onto for years. Smart move.

Currently reading The Wax Pack by Brad Balukjian and the prologue is about a woman that manufactured the gum and loaded the packs to be sealed.

Curious if anyone has stories about Topps. Must have been an insane job when baseball cards blew up in the late 80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 12:42 PM

267 posts, read 765,218 times
Both my father and worked there, my father still works at the Scranton plant which makes ring pops. I have many unopened sets of baseball and football cards from the mid 80’s though the mid 90’s. Don’t think they are worth a lot now, because they were over produced, but maybe someday.
I do remember going there and taste testing new products and getting paid $20.

Old 10-25-2020, 04:32 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,981,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoca resident View Post
Both my father and worked there, my father still works at the Scranton plant which makes ring pops. I have many unopened sets of baseball and football cards from the mid 80’s though the mid 90’s. Don’t think they are worth a lot now, because they were over produced, but maybe someday.
I do remember going there and taste testing new products and getting paid $20.
Definitely hold onto anything '85 and earlier or look into selling if you have multiples. COVID has caused a boom in card prices. A hobby box of '83 Topps Baseball was $350 a year ago. Now it goes for $925.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:48 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,947,837 times
Back in the early 70s, word leaked that Willie Mays was going to be at Topps. I don't think that was supposed to be general knowledge but my neighbor and I, both all-boy Moms, decided to take our kids to see the legendary Say Hey Kid.

We made signs and packed up the kids and went to Duryea. The line was long and it was hot but we were indefatigable. (I did mention that we were all-boy Moms, didn't I?)

Ultimately, Willie appeared, appearing unhappy, and handed each child a box of bubble gum.

Some years later, the youngest boy, unborn at the time of Willie's visit to Topps, discovered the box and chewed the last souvenir piece of bubble gum in the box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania