Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 01:12 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,142,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
They are not looking to buy because of a bar or winery!

Who said they were????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 03:00 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Who said they were????
Are you listening to yourself? "Besides, just because he doesn't drink wine doesn't mean others in the family don't." And that is supposed to be a reason to buy close to a winery?

rowhomecity first suggested the ABE corridor because of its growth. That is a good suggestion based on the information that the OP provided. The $280K might be a problem in that corridor, especially since it is now a seller's market and places are going for more than the bank appraisal price. Possibly the prices would be less expensive in the Hazelton, WB/Scranton area depending on what they are after? The only thing I know about Scranton is that the city was bankrupt and taxes will probably climb to make up for the shortfall. I don't know the fiscal health of the other cities.

Old 11-22-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
And that is supposed to be a reason to buy close to a winery?

Its an attraction in the area....nothing more.....no one, including myself, is stating that its a reason to buy....your the one making that assumption....no one else.....just as you did when we were on the topic of buying stocks in another post here on the forum....

Old 11-22-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Its an attraction in the area....nothing more.....no one, including myself, is stating that its a reason to buy....your the one making that assumption....no one else.....just as you did when we were on the topic of buying stocks in another post here on the forum....
Why are you fighting, I just read what the OP asked for and maybe you didn't? Did I not try to help you when you asked me about a job with the company I work for?

I would even suggest some areas of Monroe County to the OP, but I picture that our County could be a nightmare when PennDOT starts the widening of Route 80 project. We still have no date for that to happen. It does sound as if the OP wants to return to Brooklyn from time to time, so work zone traffic could make those trips even longer. That would also apply if they were driving from Hazelton or the WB/Scranton area and planned on taking I-80.

Old 11-23-2020, 11:49 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,760,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazrun View Post
I like that you get the small city feel without the big city problems (I could be wrong though -- I'm not that familiar..)

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Hazleton has many problems found in larger cities, the crime rate is similar to the average found in cities of similar size but violent crime is significantly higher. Heroin trafficking is a big issue, it's part of the "Heroin Highway"- the I70 & I81 corridor. PA, in general, has a big problem with heroin.

Speaking as someone who grew up in a very middle-class suburban Bronx neighborhood (that had mainly the quality of life and mob-related crimes) and lived for several years on the Grand Concourse (before gentrification), I would never willingly live in Hazleton. I have driven through many parts and while there are pockets of "nice" much of it is pretty ghetto or at the very least very run down. I do occasionally go to Hazleton's Laurel Mall for shopping and it's nothing that great.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:42 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazrun View Post
Thank you. I will drive next weekend to get familiar with Bethlehem, never been.

I've been to Allentown and found it very "ghetto" I do love the distance to NYC
The city of Allentown, sadly, isn't very nice. The area is. My sister-in-law lives in senior housing in Hazleton. Her building is OK and she doesn't have any problems with neighbors. Her daughter lives in Drums.

This was pretty tough for both of them because my brother globe trotted for work for decades. They used to be rather wealthy.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Why are you fighting, I just read what the OP asked for and maybe you didn't?

Who's fighting?? I'm just pointing out what you've stated here and in other posts. You always say the same thing: "To do this or that based on an assumption of XYZ is foolish or not smart." Meanwhile no one suggested making a decision based on the location of a winery?? Its just an attraction that exists in the area. Just like Great Wolf Lodge is down the road on 611. Just because someone mentions Great Wolf Lodge being close by doesn't mean they're basing the decision of buying because its there. Its just an attraction in the area that some would like to know about.

Quote:
Did I not try to help you when you asked me about a job with the company I work for?

When someone asks for my help I never bring it up to them nor expect to be acknowledged for it. In my opinion that's looking for glorification for what I've done for them which, to me, morally is a big no-no and those who know me can testify that I'll do anyone a favor without expecting anything in return. I trust when I need someone's assistance later on someone will be there. I don't expect nothing in return.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Hazleton has many problems found in larger cities, the crime rate is similar to the average found in cities of similar size but violent crime is significantly higher. Heroin trafficking is a big issue, it's part of the "Heroin Highway"- the I70 & I81 corridor. PA, in general, has a big problem with heroin.

Speaking as someone who grew up in a very middle-class suburban Bronx neighborhood (that had mainly the quality of life and mob-related crimes) and lived for several years on the Grand Concourse (before gentrification), I would never willingly live in Hazleton. I have driven through many parts and while there are pockets of "nice" much of it is pretty ghetto or at the very least very run down. I do occasionally go to Hazleton's Laurel Mall for shopping and it's nothing that great.

That's Hazelton in a nutshell!!

Old 11-24-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Who's fighting?? I'm just pointing out what you've stated here and in other posts. You always say the same thing: "To do this or that based on an assumption of XYZ is foolish or not smart." Meanwhile no one suggested making a decision based on the location of a winery?? Its just an attraction that exists in the area. Just like Great Wolf Lodge is down the road on 611. Just because someone mentions Great Wolf Lodge being close by doesn't mean they're basing the decision of buying because its there. Its just an attraction in the area that some would like to know about.
When somebody says they don't drink, that means they are not looking for drinking 'attractions'! Plus it has them away from the action that they specifically said they wanted - growth! Instead of backing off you still pushed your winery. You will not be happy unless you hear them say that is exactly what they are looking for. Read their statements and quit fighting.

Quote:
When someone asks for my help I never bring it up to them nor expect to be acknowledged for it. In my opinion that's looking for glorification for what I've done for them which, to me, morally is a big no-no and those who know me can testify that I'll do anyone a favor without expecting anything in return. I trust when I need someone's assistance later on someone will be there. I don't expect nothing in return.
I am not looking for glorification or would I expect any from you. You didn't follow up with the information I gave you. You preferred to talk about all the jobs in the area that paid dirt wages. I was trying to get you to look at jobs that started at $40K to $60K/year. I know that is dirt wages compared to NYC wages. But they are considerably closer than Harrisburg or NYC. There are many jobs still posted if you ever stopped fighting and looked them up! Some even pay more.

I would not be quick to move to Hazelton either. Plus Scranton has major financial problems and that has to show up eventually in the tax bills. But I would leave suggestions to those that live in the area. The only thing I know about is, that if they plan to go back to the NYC area using Route 80, that there is a pending widening project in the Tannersville area and I expect the traffic to be backed up for many miles. PennDOT plans on starting in the middle, instead of on the ends. That means double the bottlenecks and, regardless of their promises to keep two lanes open, we know they will mess up the whole thing. If they work as fast as they worked on Route 611 by me we will never see the end of the construction!

Old 11-24-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
When somebody says they don't drink, that means they are not looking for drinking 'attractions'! Plus it has them away from the action that they specifically said they wanted - growth! Instead of backing off you still pushed your winery. You will not be happy unless you hear them say that is exactly what they are looking for. Read their statements and quit fighting.

"Buying in a location simply because it has a winery would not be an option for them." - meanwhile no one, including myself, are pushing any winery. An assumption on your part. Not mine. Was only a mention of an attraction in the area. Besides, as I also said, just because he doesn't drink except for vodka doesn't mean the rest of his family and/or friends don't. You also don't have to be a drinker to visit that winery. They serve food for those who do and don't want to drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania