Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 06:27 PM

226 posts, read 159,737 times

Advertisements

Thus far, I am diggin this winter. Since I only had to dig the snow once this season, I ain't complaining.

We get a short cold snap, then 3-4 days above normal. Those SW breezes sure make a difference.

Here we are - mid January - where we can be enduring several day stretches of frigid single temps (or below) deep snow cover, 3 foot icicles hanging from home gutters, your car whimpering then crying for a minute when you crank it up the first time of the day,

Today was sunny - and the next four days will be packed with sunshine and temps near 40.
When is the last time you recall a full week of sunshine in January?
We are usually greyed out until April...

$$$ - Ma Nature gave us a raise (or maybe it was stimulus payment)..

Since October, my home furnace has been on cruise control, hardly running, sipping that heating oil,
My tanks were topped mid December and the gauge barely moved.
Thanks for the raise Ma!!!

I am hoping for at least a couple more snowstorms - non crippling storm dropping 8 - 10 inches
Love the scenery & silence of fresh snow.

Enjoy the extra coin in your pockets.
Spend it wisely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 09:17 PM

33,021 posts, read 36,582,703 times
I wouldn't mind a little bit of snow.

Old 01-12-2021, 02:31 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,240,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I wouldn't mind a little bit of snow.
I would not mind if you had some too, but make sure you take it with you! With all the problems with my plow truck this year I am happy the way things are. It did work for the big snow but I ended up hand shoveling the 400' driveway for the 3" to 5" snow we had. I do not like hand shoveling that much driveway!

Old 01-13-2021, 07:28 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,159,155 times
Plenty of kids out there that will shovel or plow for a reasonable fee if you bargain with them....

Old 01-13-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Plenty of kids out there that will shovel or plow for a reasonable fee if you bargain with them....
What century are you living in! It has been over ten years since the last trick-or-treater attempted to walk up my driveway! Actually I don't even remember one walking up my driveway, their mom drove them up my driveway!

Old 01-13-2021, 04:31 PM

Find a kid to shovel snow? yeah right - they are too busy playing computer games.

Have not had a Trick or Treater in years. I never kept candy for the kids, instead had a stack of $1 bills.
$1 for the costume, if they sang a song $2.

Another pastime I enjoyed as a kid - bombing cars with snowballs.

Yet another activity today's kids know nothing about.

When is the last time your car got hit by a snowball?

maybe it is better that today's kids don't snowball cars.

Modern cars today are made of paper thin sheet metal and plastic.
A good solid hit with a snowball could cause hundreds of dollars of damage.

Damage a side mirror? could be $1,000.

Those old car chrome plated mirrors would survive a rock - never mind a snowball.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDavid View Post
Find a kid to shovel snow? yeah right - they are too busy playing computer games.

Have not had a Trick or Treater in years. I never kept candy for the kids, instead had a stack of $1 bills.
$1 for the costume, if they sang a song $2.

Another pastime I enjoyed as a kid - bombing cars with snowballs.

Yet another activity today's kids know nothing about.

When is the last time your car got hit by a snowball?

maybe it is better that today's kids don't snowball cars.

Modern cars today are made of paper thin sheet metal and plastic.
A good solid hit with a snowball could cause hundreds of dollars of damage.

Damage a side mirror? could be $1,000.

Those old car chrome plated mirrors would survive a rock - never mind a snowball.
I used to work on a freight dock many years ago. What amazed me was how little car parts weighed. Yes they feel substantial, like the doors we close every time we use our vehicles. But the metal door weighs very little. It is only one piece of the door which is made up of the metal, the window glass, plastic and Styrofoam. The metal component of the door only weighs about 10 pounds.

Even the heavy looking bumper off a UPS truck weighs less that 50 pounds.

I learned to drive with a 47 Ford pickup and the bumper could push over a 6" pine tree without a scratch. I did manage to bend it one time backing up and I caught the end of the bumper on a 12" oak tree. But it wasn't any problem, I just took a sledge hammer to it and straightened it out! They do not build them like that anymore!

Old 01-15-2021, 07:43 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,159,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDavid View Post
Find a kid to shovel snow? yeah right - they are too busy playing computer games. When is the last time your car got hit by a snowball?

If that were done today they could get beat up and/or shot....don't think that's a good idea....as for kids shoveling snow there are still some out there that don't mind working to make a few bucks....I do agree that there are those who are lazy couch potatoes and that's the parents fault....

Old 01-15-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
If that were done today they could get beat up and/or shot....don't think that's a good idea....as for kids shoveling snow there are still some out there that don't mind working to make a few bucks....I do agree that there are those who are lazy couch potatoes and that's the parents fault....

Worse than beat up or shot---

the "authorities" will deem the kid as troubled, hook him up with court program, shrinks who will fill him up with pills, and then he will graduate to opiates at the ripe old age of 17.
yeah - I'm not exaggerating - that is how messed up PC this world is today.

another example -

as kids we would roam the woods with BB guns..

Today - if 4-5 kids came out of a woodlot armed with BB guns, there would be swat teams & helicopters

dispatched to the scene.

yeah - I'm not exaggerating - that is how messed up PC this world is today.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:53 AM

I carried my target .22 to school for four years. I had it locked in a homemade gun case, but I had the key in my pocket. It was my responsibility to keep my gun safe. If I ever broke our rules I would have lost my position on my rifle team. The same thing held true for pocket knives when I was young. These were privileges' and could be withdrawn at any time. Today a child can be expelled for drawing a picture of a gun or knife. The message we give our young is that we don't trust them!

In my HS days if kids got into a fight we had a PT teacher that put them in a ring with heavy 20 ounce gloves. They would usually slug it out with these 'pillows' and then tire out. Many times they became best friends after they had a chance to resolve their differences. Today we just turn them over to the police and they end up with a record.

I know the rules have changed and lawyers got involved. Nothing is simple anymore. I just think that sometimes it is wise to look at where we are and where we came from. Not all changes are for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania