Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:18 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,642,651 times

Advertisements

From the wnep website:

Quote:
By Josh Brogadir
Some in Scranton are remembering Reba. The Siberian tiger was a favorite at the Wildlife Center at Nay Aug Park.
It's a sad day for people who loved the Siberian tiger. Workers at the Genesis Wildlife Center are devastated. Reba was 15 years old and died last night.

A few weeks ago Reba returned to the Wildlife Center in Nay Aug Park in Scranton. She had been at the University of Pennsylvania to determine why she was having seizures.
Genesis' director raised the cat from when she was a cub and is taking news of her death especially hard.
Volunteers and workers at the center said the animal will be missed.

"She's been a pet to everyone. She had a wonderful personality. She was never, you know, like some cats get a little edgy or they have an attitude, this cat was just like you have a cat in your home," said Scott Evans of the Genesis Wildlife Center.
People visiting the Wildlife Center Wednesday morning were looking in her cage for her and were upset when they heard she was gone.
Workers said there will be no necropsy to try to find out exactly how the tiger died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 11:31 AM

325 posts, read 806,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
From the wnep website:
Thank you for telling us, scrantonluna, the very sad news about Reba. I am very sorry to hear that she is gone.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:34 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
Thank you ,for sharing this sad news. I pray the wildlife center gets an infusion of cash in Reba's honor....RIP Reba...

Old 05-07-2008, 11:39 AM

1,063 posts, read 2,463,493 times
Have they come to a conclusion as to the seizures she was having before she died? Poor 'ol girl.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:54 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
They stated that there would be NO necrotopsy on the tiger.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:59 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Well...we still have the masturbating monkey at our "restoring the pride" zoo.....

Old 05-07-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post

I am a bit puzzled by the decision not to perform a necropsy. I don't know what tests may have been performed on Reba while she was at the University of Pennsylvania. I do hope they've ruled out any factors that may cause problems for other animals at the center (e.g. communicable disease or contaminated food or water supplies). Perhaps they know enough about the details of Reba's problems to conclude that the chances that other animals could be affected are pretty slim. Still, if the cause of death is unknown (as the WNEP information implies) I would think they would want to do everything possible to determine what caused Reba's symptoms and eventual death.

At any rate, as I've said before, despite the center's shortcomings, I know that the folks at the center do love the animals: they must be feeling very sad about Reba. As many of us know from personal experience, losing a beloved animal can be extremely difficult.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:34 PM

1,063 posts, read 2,463,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Yes, I know. I was wondering if the University of Pennsylvania came to any conclusions regarding the seizures a few weeks prior to her death.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecam222 View Post
Yes, I know. I was wondering if the University of Pennsylvania came to any conclusions regarding the seizures a few weeks prior to her death.

I found this on PAHomePage.com in the article "Nay Aug Park Tiger Dies" Reported by: David DeCosmo WYOU TV News:

"The animal was taken to the University of Pennsylvania several weeks ago after it suffered a seizure. But tests at that facility failed to detect any medical problems."

Old 05-07-2008, 03:12 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Well...we still have the masturbating monkey at our "restoring the pride" zoo.....
LOL! When I went to the Philadelphia Zoo a couple years ago, we saw two monkeys engaging in some lovin'..lol....there were parents with kids in strollers covering their eyes and ushering them out of the area...lol, it was hysterical!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania