Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2022, 06:47 PM

72 posts, read 127,329 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a second home in the Pocoonos. From looking at this site, it seems like something like Fawn Lake or Hemlock Farm might be a good fit in terms of amenities for our three kids and price. However, both are really far from our main home south of Philadelphia. Anything close to the Philly burbs that might be good to check out. Arrowhead is on the list already. We have a limited budget of $350K, need 3 bedrooms and really want to be close to the neighborhood beach. Lake front would be ideal but I understand that isn't happening.

PLEASE BOLD FONT YOUR PRIORITIES

When are you moving? N/A second home, coming from Chester County PA
Where will you be working? Remote
Have you been here yet? Yes, to Arrowhead

Will you buy or rent? Buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House, 350K

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with three kids under the age of 7
Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Yard within a neighborhood
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet but not desolate

What do you want to be closest to?
Work - Nope
Shopping - Not important
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - yes
Nightlife - hah, no way. A drink at the pool or beach sounds nice though.
Near Bus stop? Please note that there is NO rail service in the Scranton-Wilkes Barre area. - no

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? We want an area with kids

Favorite beverage? A quiet beer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2022, 01:04 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,766,292 times
Have you looked at Indian Mountain Lakes & Towamensing Trails? Both are about 1.5 hours from Philly and offer a variety of amenities. One big thing to remember, the more a community has, the more you will pay in dues. For example, IML is about $1400 a year in dues and generally speaking, has a high property and school tax on properties as well. I live a few miles further up in Carbon county, in a small community with a lake and clubhouse. Our yearly dues is $275 and combined school and property taxes are nearly $8k in 2022.

Old 06-29-2022, 05:10 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,146,709 times
I live 1/2 hour south of IML & TT....from where I live (Saylorsburg) its a 2-1/2 hour drive to downtown Philly and that's taking the PA Turnpike....from those 2 places up north closer to 3 hours....

Old 07-13-2022, 06:29 PM

148 posts, read 265,738 times
Stay home

Old 07-15-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
I live 1/2 hour south of IML & TT....from where I live (Saylorsburg) its a 2-1/2 hour drive to downtown Philly and that's taking the PA Turnpike....from those 2 places up north closer to 3 hours....
It's about 75 minutes to Philly from the NE exchange entrance on 903 to Philly for IML & TT. My husband does it every day for work. I wouldn't want to come from Philly further north as you said it's at least 2 hours depending on the route needed. During summer holidays, my husband often finds it takes 2.5-3 hours to get to our exit NE exit.

We bought a new house that adds 15 minutes to his commute and he's crying. Meanwhile, it's break-even for me commuting to the Bronx (3 hours each way generally). Cry me a river, dude! :P We actually looked at a house in Saylorsburg. It was more than 30 minutes from our present home (near TT off 903). One frustrating thing about PA, there are few straightforward routes anywhere. It's take "this state route for 5 miles, turn left to that one for 11 miles, etc."

Old 07-16-2022, 12:23 PM

3,979 posts, read 2,359,295 times
^^^^Just curious about 903 in the winter. How does Penndot's finest take care of that route? I've driven down 903 to get to Jim Thorpe but rarely in the winter.

Old 07-17-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
^^^^Just curious about 903 in the winter. How does Penndot's finest take care of that route? I've driven down 903 to get to Jim Thorpe but rarely in the winter.
They do a pretty good job. Stretches are a bit treacherous, near Maury road specifically, due to it being flat and either side is open farm fields. Lots of blowing snow in that area. Same with the fog over there. It’s terrible at times. Otherwise down the mountains into JT or towards Blakeslee are well taken care of overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania