Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 02:19 PM

13 posts, read 5,390 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My parents on both sides were from the Wilkes Barre /Plains area.
This Summer, one of my Maternal Cousins , whom I reconnected with on FaceBook paid me a visit..we had a great time
So I figured why not try to see what is going on in the area. ..

sadly the news on this site is sparse like Gerania said.
I know the area is economically depressed, but.. are all you residents depressed too?

Sad.. It seems like whenever it started to take off with some fluid and engaging conversations.. the conversations seem to be stifled..

just saying.. Do any of you people have an inkling why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2022, 07:12 AM

490 posts, read 627,115 times
Yo Jeep! The NEPA board is one of the slowest on City Data that I've come across. I've lived in several states and have usually found pretty robust forum communities on the site as a whole.

It's true there are some economically depressed areas, but in my time here, I've found a pretty middle-class vibe. There are some people with fairly expensive vacation homes in the ski and lake areas. The economy everywhere has been pretty crazy lately but the rural areas of PA have been generally depressed since the 70s with the decline of the steel industry and mining.

I haven't spent time in Wilkes-Barre (it doesn't have a great rep) but Allentown is pretty cool, along with Bethlehem and there are pockets throughout the Poconos that are very livable. It depends a lot on your own preferences and lifestyle. I wouldn't use this forum as a measure of the area though. Come visit the area and see what you think.

Old 10-16-2022, 08:31 PM

33,014 posts, read 36,569,063 times
That's an old Jeep.

I haven't lived there in decades, but I know that my high school friend Joe is really depressed about his, my old neighborhood. He's surrounded by trashy Dominicans who probably moved there from NYC.

Years ago our moderator was very enthusiastic about her job. This made me laugh: https://www.city-data.com/forum/lehi...ts-stands.html. She didn't delete hot dog posts or close her thread.

Old 10-17-2022, 10:52 AM

30,693 posts, read 16,339,431 times
probably because not that many people on the board live there.

Old 10-17-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
Yo Jeep! The NEPA board is one of the slowest on City Data that I've come across. I've lived in several states and have usually found pretty robust forum communities on the site as a whole.

It's true there are some economically depressed areas, but in my time here, I've found a pretty middle-class vibe. There are some people with fairly expensive vacation homes in the ski and lake areas. The economy everywhere has been pretty crazy lately but the rural areas of PA have been generally depressed since the 70s with the decline of the steel industry and mining.

I haven't spent time in Wilkes-Barre (it doesn't have a great rep) but Allentown is pretty cool, along with Bethlehem and there are pockets throughout the Poconos that are very livable. It depends a lot on your own preferences and lifestyle. I wouldn't use this forum as a measure of the area though. Com the area and see what you think.
Chester, thank you for your input..
actually, I make a yearly road trip to the Wilkes-Barre area..to visit my family’s graveyard plot in the area.
Things have indeed changed..but not necessarily for the worst ..
I still get that giddy feeling I had as a child riding through the Lehigh Valley tunnel ..my Dad beeping his horn in the tunnel…knowing we were more than 1/2 to our destination.

Old 10-17-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's an old Jeep.

I haven't lived there in decades, but I know that my high school friend Joe is really depressed about his, my old neighborhood. He's surrounded by trashy Dominicans who probably moved there from NYC.

Years ago our moderator was very enthusiastic about her job. This made me laugh: https://www.city-data.com/forum/lehi...ts-stands.html. She didn't delete hot dog posts or close her thread.
Thrashy Dominicans?
wow that’s not the old Gerania I remembered…
just proves what Thomas Wolfe once wrote;

‘you can’t go home again’

Old 10-17-2022, 01:19 PM

Chester Burnett , I was a member of the Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and New Jersey City Data sites.. l visited or lived in all those places.. my house in PR has been hit 3 times by the **** Hurricanes .but I can’t give it up.
I currently live in New Jersey ..

Old 10-17-2022, 09:36 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,786,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep1947 View Post
Thrashy Dominicans?
wow that’s not the old Gerania I remembered…
just proves what Thomas Wolfe once wrote;

‘you can’t go home again’
I’m a little taken back by that comment too. I grew up in the Bronx with many Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, and various other Latino groups. Ain’t nothing like some of the “trash” people I’ve encountered out here. Sorry, not sorry.

Old 10-18-2022, 06:52 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,157,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
He's surrounded by trashy Dominicans who probably moved there from NYC.
Unfortunately, EVERY race has its troublemakers....no one is an exception from the others....you have just as much one as the other depending on where you go....

Old 10-18-2022, 07:18 AM

490 posts, read 627,115 times
I haven't noticed any heavy-handed moderation here. I assume the sparseness here is due to a lack of awareness of City Data among the local population combined with the popularity of Facebook and apps like Next Door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania