Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,254 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about Hamburg, Pa? Is it a nice place to live or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 09:56 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Hamburg is your typical low-crime, small Pennsylvania town. It is now somewhat "famous" because Cabela's opened up a large store there a few years ago. You'll be in Berks County, roughly midway between Reading and Pottsville. Berks County is becoming more and more of an outer suburb of the Philadelphia area with each passing year while Schuylkill County still has that "old coal region" atmosphere to it.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:20 PM

347 posts, read 1,149,423 times
Hamburg has been improving every year since Cabela'a moved in. The downtown is growing and improving while the PA Rt. 61 corridor is being filled with the typical fast food resutaurants and minimarts. Overall, I wouldn't mind living in Hamburg and I probably would like it a lot. The mountains are a plus too.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:38 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,255,842 times
Default Hamburg Real Estate

Tremont or ScranBarre (or anyone else), do you happen to know how the real estate market is in Hamburg, for instance the price range for a home on about 1-2 acres of land, 4 bedrooms, under 20 years old? My husband and I were out visiting my mother-in-law last year (she lives in Allentown), and we took a ride out to see that Cabela's store. It's a really nice store, by the way. We will be moving to the Lehigh Valley in about 6-12 months, so Hamburg would be an option since it would be only around 30 minutes or so from my mother-in-law. Thanks for any information you can give me.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:37 PM

634 posts, read 1,164,748 times
Downtown Hamburg is very blue collar and property values close to the town center reflect that. If you drive through town around 6pm you will see several residents shuffle to the bars for happy hour.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:45 PM

347 posts, read 1,149,423 times
The town has potential. The property values in town are not overly priced but I can't say much more than than that. I assume that prices are pretty high near Cabela's, not that anyone would want to live within all the fast food resaurants and car dealers.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:12 PM

923 posts, read 3,093,457 times
Default American House Hotel

Funny you should mention it !!! On our way from Hershey to Lake Winola my sister and I decided to stay another night on the road !! Long trip from Hershey !! Anyway, we stayed in Hamburg, what a great little
town -- artsy fartsy !! antiqey !! And best of all, right in the downtown
historical district is a great HOTEL !!! www.Americanhousehotel.com
All refurbished to cr. 1853 And the restaurant, well - what a nice surprise Wonderful little towns our PA has out there !!! And how
nice we have City-Data to share our experiences !!! Ain't life grand ??

Old 08-11-2008, 05:18 PM

923 posts, read 3,093,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Downtown Hamburg is very blue collar and property values close to the town center reflect that. If you drive through town around 6pm you will see several residents shuffle to the bars for happy hour.
I stayed at the American House Hotel Friday night and I sure saw a
different downtown than you're depicting. I loved it !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania