Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 05:53 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times

Advertisements

Yes, exactly...........and someone who I think can manage this huge, huge, undertaking for the next 4 years.........with vigor.
But, also I judge on who one keeps as their friend ,and mentor, for 20 years......
So regarding those two issues.........so far........I am not voting.
( for the first time ever........and I do hope myself that I change my mind)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 06:38 PM

50 posts, read 131,765 times
Default Thank you,thank you Mike. Yeap- what he said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
There is an interesting google interview with Arianna Huffington where she talks about John McCain's "Great Fall." She makes an interesting argument that the John McCain who is running for president today is not the "maverick" people know from 5 years ago. In a short time, he has managed to move further and further right (we can all presume why) and vote in a way that is not only in contrast to his historical record, but in contrast to his professed values. Google for the interview if you are interested in the facts about how his focus has shifted radically in the last couple of years.

In terms of national security--there are hundreds of thousands of people in this world who are already victims of the terrorism of Bush and Cheney. And McCain himself has been outspoken about NOT planning to end that terrorism, and also being open to spreading it to Iran.

As far as the energy crisis goes, no one in government is going to fix that problem for us, democrat or republican. This is a corporatocracy, and the corporations are making the calls about renewable energy. Oil companies are more powerful than the government, sadly, and they will get their way no matter what. When people can no longer afford to get to work or buy rice at the grocery store, then emerging renewable energy markets will help solve the problem. And of course it won't be comfortable for most people, or even affordable at first, but I don't see the government solving that one.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:45 PM

Default That pastor-thing-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Yes, exactly...........and someone who I think can manage this huge, huge, undertaking for the next 4 years.........with vigor.
But, also I judge on who one keeps as their friend ,and mentor, for 20 years......
So regarding those two issues.........so far........I am not voting.
( for the first time ever........and I do hope myself that I change my mind)
If you have heard the whole sermon that the pastor gave that actually
inspired "Audacity of Hope" you would understood why he would have stayed. It was a fabulous sermon. When the camera went on, I think the pastor simply got carried away with himself and the stage. After all, he was invited to the White House long before Barack came on stage. Maybe he was a nut all along, I don't pretend to know.
I do know McCain has changed all his great positions in the last 8 years and has spoken publicly in support of Bush way too many times.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by still lookin' for "home" View Post
If you have heard the whole sermon that the pastor gave that actually
inspired "Audacity of Hope" you would understood why he would have stayed. It was a fabulous sermon. When the camera went on, I think the pastor simply got carried away with himself and the stage. After all, he was invited to the White House long before Barack came on stage. Maybe he was a nut all along, I don't pretend to know.
I do know McCain has changed all his great positions in the last 8 years and has spoken publicly in support of Bush way too many times.
Like I mentioned..........and as your saying........maybe he was all along ?
I would not have sat for any of that sermon, in any context.......I'd of walked.
And, I agree.........I'm not happy with McCain either........Thus, no vote.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:23 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Perhaps they'll show some silent films too to make Sen. McCain feel at home? Rice pudding, anyone?
I'll make a batch for him, if he promises to stay put and not stray too far from the nursing home.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:12 AM

223 posts, read 796,036 times
McCain's a big snore.

Obama's an empty suit.

Vote for real change, Nader-Gonzalez.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:34 AM

Default That damaging sermon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Like I mentioned..........and as your saying........maybe he was all along ?
I would not have sat for any of that sermon, in any context.......I'd of walked.
And, I agree.........I'm not happy with McCain either........Thus, no vote.
Summering... I *definitely* hear you. Obviously, I don't agree with him (the pastor) completely, but I have to say, I understand what he was attempting, albeit poorly and distortedly (through my white skinned brown eyes), to say in that sermon. I do agree with him though completely in that we can't be a bully country with a club in hand, take what we want, do what we want, tell the world what we can and cannot do, and then pay them off AND call ourselves not only "a christian nation," but "THEE CHRISTIAN NATION" and expect it to be "okay" with others, especially God. I happen to agree with him on that. I think it's about time we replace that club with a carrot, which is what Barack's position is. So, all of that said, I don't feel that his sermon was as horrible as others feel it was. Actually, I voted for Bush in 2000 because I thought his foreign policies were going to be more in line with say, Ron Paul. I never thought he'd have an "8 year relapse and get drunk in Iraq" (figuritively of course). I never thought John McCain would change most of his positions that made him so great as a potential leader. I'm sticking with Barack, even though don't agree with all of his pro-choice positions (specifically partial birth because partial-birth doesn't really matter anyway to the Republicans.The very last thing they want is helping the underprivileged or middle class-that gets in the way of their agenda and tax cuts.) I think they use the prolifers as a voter wand to perform their illusions. I won't be manipulated anymore by a Republican-thanks for teaching me DoubleYA.
Thanks for letting me vent This is why I've been taking a break from politics for a couple of months now. It makes me crazy. Lookin'

Old 07-24-2008, 04:51 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,888 times
Hey Lookin...I totally agree with you too...I've said it before and I'll say again...Rev. Wright's sermon in question was nothing short of beautiful...eloquent...filled with clarity and reverence for God...and it is only because most people have not watched it in its entirety that they believe it was blasphemous.

Thank you to the American news media (controlled by a small group of republicans who favor fewer regulations on large media holdings, to encourage the eventual consolidation of all media outlets into one unified controlling information source) for that bunch of crap clip that was spewed all over TV. It is surprising that there are enough people without conscience in the world to work for them and peddle that stuff.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:02 AM

Default Barack didn't sit through it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
Hey Lookin...I totally agree with you too...I've said it before and I'll say again...Rev. Wright's sermon in question was nothing short of beautiful...eloquent...filled with clarity and reverence for God...and it is only because most people have not watched it in its entirety that they believe it was blasphemous.

Thank you to the American news media (controlled by a small group of republicans who favor fewer regulations on large media holdings, to encourage the eventual consolidation of all media outlets into one unified controlling information source) for that bunch of crap clip that was spewed all over TV. It is surprising that there are enough people without conscience in the world to work for them and peddle that stuff.

Well-to be clear, especially for those who may get their knickers in a twist to hear anything positive about Wright.... there were two different sermons that I referred to. The one, smeared all over the media with the pastor going nuts and referring to the origins of AIDS- which has truth to it or reportedly serious debate to it, I do understand much of what he says. Anyone can just do a little digging and understand that. This does not make me any less sad however, to 9/11 and the victims. It makes me and many I know much MORE sad.

You are absolutely right. We don't really have a free press anymore. I can't get onto that subject or I'll really elevate my blood pressure!

The other sermon, which inspired Audacity, *that* sermon actually made me weep. That's why he stayed there for 20 years. Not because of an isolated sermon. Not to mention- Barack was *NOT* in the church that day, so he didn't sit through it....he wasn't even there.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:10 AM

Gosh, I am not on either political side........But, I am a big news watcher and probably pieced together most of the speech. ( online or on TV)

I love my country so much I don't want to hear "God Damn America" ......not for a second. Not in the least over, and over.........I want to hear.......
I love America the land that gave me everything, the home of the brave and free.
I don't want to hear all that rage and a lifetime of hate.

From what I understand there were dozens of sermons offered for sale by the church...with repeated denunciations of the US.
Including the Sept. 16, 2001 sermon ( just after that horror on our land)

To believe that for 20 years he( Obama). never heard or saw such comments from the pulpit.....damning the country he is going to be top man to, would be naive.
This mans ( RW) hate didn't come about overnight.

God Bless You America.........and whom ever you choose to be your President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania