Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 06:39 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,273,345 times

Advertisements

Add a few more buisnesses to downtown Wilkes-Barre's growing buisness community! Times Leader just reported that five new buisnesses will be opening in the coming months. Including Bourbon St. Saloon, Dunkin Donuts cafe/store, Eclipse Dance Club, Law firm Elliot, Greenleaf, and Dean, and an upscale nightclub called Luna. It appears Wilkes-Barre's finally hitting a stride. I'm looking very forward to the next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 07:03 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,965,690 times
Good, Dunkin Donuts will be back. That stunk when the Dunkin Donuts closed and became Curry Donuts.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:45 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
If only Wilkes-Barre could as good of a job of cleaning up its residential neighborhoods as it has been doing with its downtown, then the Diamond City would truly be a beacon again. In my opinion Downtown Wilkes-Barre will be light years ahead of Downtown Scranton in 2010 when all of its projects are completed with others underway, but many of Scranton's neighborhoods are much, much more attractive, cleaner, and safer, overall, than the residential neighborhoods in Wilkes-Barre. For what it's worth though I think even FightinPhils would have to agree that Mayor Leighton is doing a better job with the mess he was dealt from former Mayor McGroarty than what Mayor Doherty has done to the Electric City in the post-Connors era.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 07-03-2008 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-03-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
For what it's worth though I think even FightinPhils would have to agree that Mayor Leighton is doing a better job with the mess he was dealt from former Mayor McGroarty than what Mayor Doherty has done to the Electric City in the post-Connors era.
I do think Leighton does a much better job than Doherty. I honestly think W-B city government tries its best....they have beefed up the police department, the police drive nice new cars, they seem proactive in trying to fight the crime that has plagued W-B. Doherty, on the other hand, seems to be trying dismantle the police and fire departments....they haven't had raises in 7 years, and the equipment is a joke. A good number of the police cars in Scranton should have been junked a long time ago and sound like lawnmowers. Plus, at least downtown, it seems W-B tries to keep things looking as good as possible....I constantly see street sweepers cleaning the streets and guys walking around with brooms and dustpans picking up trash.

The one service that is better in Scranton is trash pickup. In W-B, they have to buy expensive bags to put out their trash, which encourages illegal dumping. I stopped in a Turkey Hill in W-B for a coffee one time and the lady working there was complaining about people illegally dumping their trash in their dumpster...as a result of the per-bag policy.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:13 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
Good, Dunkin Donuts will be back. That stunk when the Dunkin Donuts closed and became Curry Donuts.

BLASPHEMY! On my long list of things i miss from W-B curry donuts coffee is near the top.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
BLASPHEMY! On my long list of things i miss from W-B curry donuts coffee is near the top.
Curry Donuts coffee is OK...but I think Dunkin is better...and Krispy Kreme is even better. Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

Old 07-03-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Curry Donuts coffee is OK...but I think Dunkin is better...and Krispy Kreme is even better. Different strokes for different folks, I guess...
I'm good with any place that MAKES the coffee for you. I miss asking for a coffee with cream and sugar, and having my coffee handed to me complete. Then for an added bonus they tell you that you can have a donut for free! how much is all this goodness? $1.30!!! Hand the person behind the counter $2 and head out on my way, happy about my transaction.

Out here you ask for a coffee with cream and sugar you get a list of different flavored coffee spit at you. What ever happened to coffee flavored coffee?? so you tell them you want coffee flavored coffee, with cream and sugar, they get snotty and you get handed a cup of black liquid filled to the top. then the demon behind the counter demands $4 from you, and points you to the understocked counter where the add ins are. you get over there, pry the lid off your full vessel spilling lava all over yourself. Then you need to dispose of some of the black liquid, but there is no sink and a huge sign that says "do not dump coffee in the trash can!!!" Is this some sort of intelligence test? I don't have a coffee yet, just this black liquid....so, ignoring the sign you dispose of some of this black liquid in the trash, mix in the ingredients to make a coffee and head off on your way. I'm waiting for the day i order a pizza and get handed some flour and told the other ingredients are over there.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:51 AM

I've been in to McDonald's coffee lately, when I don't get up in time to make coffee at home. You can't beat it for 69 cents for a large. I think they've improved their coffee, because I can remember their coffee in the past tasting like baboon sweat. But its not bad at all these days.

Have you ever heard the Denis Leary rant about not being able to get coffee flavored coffee?
YouTube - Denis Leary - Coffee

Old 07-03-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I've been in to McDonald's coffee lately, when I don't get up in time to make coffee at home. You can't beat it for 69 cents for a large. I think they've improved their coffee, because I can remember their coffee in the past tasting like baboon sweat. But its not bad at all these days.

Have you ever heard the Denis Leary rant about not being able to get coffee flavored coffee?
YouTube - Denis Leary - Coffee

Ya, coffee flavored coffee and beer flavored beer, pull up you pants!

McD's coffee isn't that cheap here...

Old 07-03-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
Ya, coffee flavored coffee and beer flavored beer, pull up you pants!

Cranberry nut-crunch f%%$n ale!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania