Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 11:14 PM

21 posts, read 43,260 times

Advertisements

I love Wilkes-Barre because of the the great artwork, the easy access to cofee and all the really funny people. I like this town because when I go elsewhere its always enlightening, that way travel never looses it's twang.

It's like eating at burger king once a year, you can accually enjoy the preservatives even though theyr'e not good for you.
If we all lived in the greatest cities then we probably would never leave, and how interesting can that be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 11:51 PM

223 posts, read 795,926 times
The poet Charles Bukowski once said that a city with whores, pimps, all-night bars and loud music is beautiful, and the second you clean up a city you kill it. I happen to agree with this line of thinking.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:48 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,967 times
Wilkes-Barre has its good side and its bad side. But all in all it's a great city that is getting better by the month. Honestly, there is no place in this region that I'd rather live... except, maybe, Harvey's Lake.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:26 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Wilkes-Barre is finally getting its act together after decades of steep decline. Around the turn of the new millennium Wilkes-Barre had hit rock bottom and Scranton was charging upwards. Now Scranton has plateaued, and the Diamond City is having its turn to shine. I can't wait to see what the city will look like five years from now. Mayor Leighton has been one of the best mayors this city has ever had.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:10 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Wilkes-Barre is finally getting its act together after decades of steep decline. Around the turn of the new millennium Wilkes-Barre had hit rock bottom and Scranton was charging upwards. Now Scranton has plateaued, and the Diamond City is having its turn to shine. I can't wait to see what the city will look like five years from now. Mayor Leighton has been one of the best mayors this city has ever had.
Wilkes-Barre and Scranton have always been in competition with each other probably since they've been in existance, which is a good thing, if both cities keep raising the bar on each other we all benefit from it. It means more jobs, attractions, entertainment ect. for everyone, because the two cities are only 20 min. apart. Some years W-B will seem like the place to be, some years Scranton seems like the place to be. It's been this way ever since I can remember, and will probably always be this way. I think it's great, if both cities keep pushing forward to outdo each other, it only means the whole region is moving forward in the end. People don't realize just how dependent on each other Scranton and Wilkes-Barre are. For example if it wasn't for the combined population of both metro areas I don't think we'd even be on the map. We wouldn't have AAA Baseball, Hockey, Football ect. We probably wouldn't have an Intl. Airport, and alot more ammenities we've grown acostume too. We wouldn't be listed in national surveys and polls. So, as much as W-B and Scranton dislike each other at times, I think it's a good thing the cities are siemese twins in the end.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:26 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
I love both areas...............
Yes, there is always a less desirable area here and there, in each and every town of America....( mostly, anyhow)
When I go into Wilkes Barre, it is in the Wyoming Valley Mall area, Lowes, Pier one.....
Surrounded by mountains and just a sight to behold ( if one stops long enough)
In Scranton area I go up to Dickson City......Love it......a shoppers heaven.
You can go in just that place at Christmas time and have something for each and everyone on your list. The BEST Wegmans I have ever been in, and I've been in quite a few locally. ( another site to behold looking down upon Scranton)
I've taken a bus or two from downtown Scranton to Binghamton when my hubby couldn't make the trip up there.........The town comes in handy!
Its our halfway meeting point many times..........
I've shopped in the Steamtown Mall a time or two.
Ate at Whistles/Whistlers (?) a few times and they made a great grilled chicken salad...emmm.
I don't take myself into downtown Wilkes Barre..........I seem to skirt around it.
Is it as bad as some say on here? Would one walk the town at night with a friend or two?..........
All I know is from the top of the mountain by the Center.........your world looks good.
I hope everyone in the area can enhance that, making the town move forward in a future direction.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:34 AM

31 posts, read 102,698 times
No, it's not the best Wegman's. I thought it was until I visited Cherry Hill.

When in Cherry Hill, NJ (outside of Philly, go to the Wegman's.

Plan to spend several hours.

Former Scranton native, now in Arizona.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:43 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Wilkes-Barre and Scranton have always been in competition with each other probably since they've been in existance,

So, as much as W-B and Scranton dislike each other at times, I think it's a good thing the cities are siemese twins in the end.
This is completely made up.

There is no competition between the cities; no animosity between the residents of the cities. No one cares about this made up "rivalry" except the few people arguing which area is "better" than the other.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:49 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
This is completely made up.

There is no competition between the cities; no animosity between the residents of the cities. No one cares about this made up "rivalry" except the few people arguing which area is "better" than the other.
That makes me happy...........Neighbors should be friends anyhow

Old 07-07-2008, 10:01 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,080 times
I have paid close attention to demographics since I have lived in Wilkes Barre and I have noticed a sharp increase in races other than white. I love that diversity is starting to migrate into NEPA. This migration will only strengthen the economy of the area and keep taxes rolling in. When companies looking to expand their businesses check NEPA as a location to build that new plant they will be enticed by the diverse growth that is evident here. In a global economy it is fitting that our population reflect the world with all types of people. We are at the dawn of a new day for the Valley of Scranton/Wilkes Barre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania