Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 10:19 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,005,155 times

Advertisements

I was checking out the local Wilmington, DE newspaper online. The News Journal is running this as one of their top stories today:

Pa. town nearly has brawl at council meeting | delawareonline | The News Journal

Now...does this say more about local politics in NEPA or the quality of news in The News Journal?

Believe me....Delaware has its own problems. Many, many problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:23 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,657,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
I was checking out the local Wilmington, DE newspaper online. The News Journal is running this as one of their top stories today:

Pa. town nearly has brawl at council meeting | delawareonline | The News Journal

Now...does this say more about local politics in NEPA or the quality of news in The News Journal?

Believe me....Delaware has its own problems. Many, many problems.
No offense to weluvpa, who posts here, but a lot of the "regulars" at local town meetings are simply looking to pick fights because they're miserable in life. I'm sure the only reason why Scranton hasn't had a brawl yet between the pro-mayor and anti-mayor factions is because they already have a uniformed officer guarding the door. The same can be said for my suburb, where discussion can also turn heated at times. I can't believe Mayfield didn't have an officer at their meetings before this though. What kind of idiots run that town that they never planned ahead for something like that?

Old 07-10-2008, 12:33 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,103,913 times
The officer at Scrantons meetings is there SOLELY on Judy Gatellis request. She felt threatened last year and had the mayor put a cop in the meetings....Thats it, thats the only reason and there has NEVER been a cop on duty in council meetings until JUDY did it.

Paul do you ever think that the people are miserable about the way their city is being run into the ground by the current admin?

Why do you always think that these people are miserable in life?

I happen to know that alot of the speakers are not "miserable" in life and are just pissed off at the council and the city for the current state of financial affairs in the city.

You paint wide strokes for someone that has only spoken once at the meetings and doesn't really get involved in much past the keyboard.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:50 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,657,036 times
Sorry to offend, Dan, but when the same people approach council podiums at borough, city, or township meetings week after week, year after year droning on about the same old issues, shouldn't it finally sink into the minds of some of these people that their grievances are being aired upon deaf ears? Does Fay Franus honestly think that Judy Gatelli cares about what she has to say? Does Ozzie Quinn honestly think that Sherry Fanucci digests all that he says at every meeting? Some people just like to complain, pure and simple, even though their complaints obviously yield NO results.

I used to whine and decry to our township supervisors what the sprawl was doing in my own community, even leading to me being the victim of a car accident on our outdated roadways, but now that I see that even my own fellow subdivision residents are in favor of the upcoming Wal-Mart Supercenter adjacent to our homes, and that our own Greater Pittston Chamber of Commerce officials are "excited" about the prospect of a Lowe's or Home Depot moving into the old Wal-Mart, I realize that there's no use fighting an uphill battle anymore. In 2015 when Highway 315 through The Pittstons looks like a massive parking lot, I don't want to hear any whining from the peanut gallery because I'll be sitting pretty on my beautiful front porch in Hyde Park saying "told ya so!"

Dan, I agree with most of your grievances when you approach the podium, but what's the use of you and your fellow council regular friends getting into such weekly uproars if YOU ALL KNOW that what you say is heeded by nobody? Get your flood siren yet? No. Get an itemized list of expenses for the dog park yet? No. Get answers about Daron yet? (Well, I won't go there for now). You don't get answers in Scranton. I never got answers in my town. Why sweat it so much? It's all far out of your hands unless you run for office.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:21 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,005,155 times
Oh, my. I truly did not mean to start problems.

My point was simply that space was made for such a 'news worthy' article in print media over a 150 miles from the source. Perhaps because very few people in Delaware seem to invest time or effort in such meetings, TNJ is making an effort to get things rolling. DE was a corporate state for so many years (DuPont) that the population just seems to wear their lemming costumes full time. If you read the exchange of words by the readers on TNJ's site....well, let's just say you might be happy to be in NEPA!

The populous of the two areas seem to be the antithesis of each other. Hummmm, so...does that mean that 75 miles between Mayfield/Scranton and Wilmington everything is done right? Allentown must be utopia!! teehee

OK...now you guys can clank your sabers again.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:03 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,663,226 times
I'm not a miserable person and I don't think most of the speakers are either. We are just fed up and had it up to here with inept city government and the like. Time and time again Scranton city council has done nothing for the city of Scranton and the Doherty three always vote in favor of the mayor and not the citizens of Scranton. Those council people work for US, not the mayor. This is why Fay Franus, Les Spindler and Ozzie Quinn speak out against the mayor and council. The citizens are getting a raw deal and are tired of it already. Tax increases, spending on silly projects, not spending money on things that are needed, horrible roads, a mound of debt. So, I don't think that the regulars at the council meetings are looking to pick a fight, they're just miserable at the reality that is Scranton.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:26 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,103,913 times
If the people speaking at council meetings week after week can reach the public with the truth of what is really going on in the city, then maybe just maybe the people will start to listen and then they will be an educated voter. I never truely expected the siren Paul, but I did get council to vote 5-0 in favor of the motion to build it and I have the mayor and Ray Hayes on record promising it. The fact that they haven't given it to us pisses alot people off. By reminding those people that the city has still not given us what they promised Maybe they will vote differently this time around.

Its not like we are asking for new curbs or paved streets, its a early warning device so that people can SAFELY get to higher ground when we have a flood situation.

Considering Bloomsburg just erected one (Paid for by grant money) for the residents that live in the low lying areas after the 06' floods, it does make Scranton city officals look like asses.

To sit blindly by and not say anything is not in my nature.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 6,735 times
Default Judy screws the students

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
The officer at Scrantons meetings is there SOLELY on Judy Gatellis request. She felt threatened last year and had the mayor put a cop in the meetings....Thats it, thats the only reason and there has NEVER been a cop on duty in council meetings until JUDY did it.

Paul do you ever think that the people are miserable about the way their city is being run into the ground by the current admin?

Why do you always think that these people are miserable in life?

I happen to know that alot of the speakers are not "miserable" in life and are just pissed off at the council and the city for the current state of financial affairs in the city.

You paint wide strokes for someone that has only spoken once at the meetings and doesn't really get involved in much past the keyboard.
This is the same Judy Gatelli that had made a motion to add 100.00 to ALL college students tuitions in the city of scranton. This was not limited to the University of Scranton but all colleges and business schools to get Scranton's incompetence of their budget problems resolved. Seems like putting this burden on the "students" while at same time on podium talking about the wonderful educational opportunities Scranton offers is hypocritical. But that's our Judy!

Old 07-13-2008, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 6,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
No offense to weluvpa, who posts here, but a lot of the "regulars" at local town meetings are simply looking to pick fights because they're miserable in life. I'm sure the only reason why Scranton hasn't had a brawl yet between the pro-mayor and anti-mayor factions is because they already have a uniformed officer guarding the door. The same can be said for my suburb, where discussion can also turn heated at times. I can't believe Mayfield didn't have an officer at their meetings before this though. What kind of idiots run that town that they never planned ahead for something like that?
I am new on this page and the main reason was to post response on Judy Gatelli of Scranton (see below) but may be able to shed some light on the Mayfield meetings. Mayfield is a proposed site for a large ethanol plant that has created a large pro and con citizens opinion, as well as influenced the last election. I am not commenting on ethanol production, but just providing some insight on why these meeting may be getting a bit more heated than was the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania