Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:59 PM

24 posts, read 70,076 times

Advertisements

We've all heard this story and I never thought it would happen to me. We began the purchase of a home under construction back on 7/2/08 and we put the required down payment on the house to the builder and signed an agreement of sale. We were supposed to close on 8/22/08 and the house was supposed to be finished about then but now we find out from the builder that they are no longer in business. The bank is now in charge and I've spoken to them and I don't enjoy this. This is a Materials company out of Syracuse NY and I'm told that my money doesn't exist. They don't call back and I'm sure at this point that no one cares about us. I liked Hometown Builders and never thought they’d do this to us but I no longer sleep and our family is really suffering.

Forget about me and my wife but what about the 8 year old we promised a house and a pool to. I just don't understand why we have to be the ones to loose when this is our life’s savings and with having to rent 3 storage garages, enroll our son in North Pocono school district. This is awful what these people are able to do.

Anyone that can offer advice please do so because we need all the help we can get.

Thanks,

John
allstate@echoes.net
Attached Thumbnails
Hometown Builder goes out of business, help!-ourhouse.jpg  

Last edited by Retired Law 08; 08-26-2008 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: No names please....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 05:04 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
ASAP, get in touch with the PA Attorney General or a competent attorney to find out what you recourse is. Best of luck.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:34 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,981 times
Besides the issues on the outside of the home that I can see need to be finished, what still needs to be completed inside? How much of your home is actually complete? How much of your money has been taken w/o finishing the job?

Highhat is right - get to the AG right away...

Old 08-18-2008, 06:04 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
So it sounds like this home was already under construction when you put money down on it. Since you did this in July and the home would be ready in Aug.
Yes, you need a good lawyer. These builders must have known they were going under and still took your funds.
I just hate when I hear these horror stories. A few crop up here and there in PA.....
So many have lost money. Its just a sad, sad, thing.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:49 AM

I just went to their website. It tells consumers nothing about going out of business.
I have lived in the Pocono's my whole life, and I have never heard of this builder.
I agree with Summering....they entered into a contract with you knowing their business was going to close. John Molnar in Wind Gap is a very good real estate lawyer, and you sure need some back up.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:11 AM

26 posts, read 101,363 times
This is absolutely disgusting and I feel for your family. I don't know how these companies can take money knowing they are in a financial mess. Hometown Builders have been around for a while. This is a surprise. Best of luck and my sympathy.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:48 AM

193 posts, read 542,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
I just went to their website. It tells consumers nothing about going out of business.
I have lived in the Pocono's my whole life, and I have never heard of this builder.
I agree with Summering....they entered into a contract with you knowing their business was going to close. John Molnar in Wind Gap is a very good real estate lawyer, and you sure need some back up.

I can not believe that there website doesn't say anything about going out of business, Which means people can be going to there website looking for a nice home and not even knowing the real story! That pisses me off

Old 08-18-2008, 08:04 AM

I have also heard that Matzel Developers & builders near LTS in Marshal's Creek has closed it's doors. Matzel is the developer that bought up all of defunct Eagle Valley Homes properties, after their fraud scandal. A friend of a friend who worked for Matzel went to work to find the building closed for good, and was informed the company went out of business - anyone know anything about that?

Last edited by poconoproud; 08-18-2008 at 08:20 AM..

Old 08-18-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebunnie69 View Post
I can not believe that there website doesn't say anything about going out of business, Which means people can be going to there website looking for a nice home and not even knowing the real story! That pisses me off
That's ok...posts like the original posters will get seen. When you google Hometown Builders now that he has posted his complaint at city-data, you will see his complaint on the first page of the search results ~ try it, it's the fourth one down. That is a good thing about city-data, they market this site very well. Even if people know nothing about city-data, if they were to google this business now, the real story will be known, and city-data will in all probability have itself another loyal poster.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:29 PM

193 posts, read 542,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
That's ok...posts like the original posters will get seen. When you google Hometown Builders now that he has posted his complaint at city-data, you will see his complaint on the first page of the search results ~ try it, it's the fourth one down. That is a good thing about city-data, they market this site very well. Even if people know nothing about city-data, if they were to google this business now, the real story will be known, and city-data will in all probability have itself another loyal poster.

Thank god!
Scary to think that somebody out there might still be getting scammed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania