Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the school go to a uniform type dress code
Yes 6 75.00%
No 0 0%
They should of enforced the previous dress code 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:37 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,818,241 times

Advertisements

Oh brother...."free expression." Give me a break. In the real world, you usually cannot wear whatever you want to work, and school is supposedly to prepare kids for the real world, so I don't see a problem with dress codes/uniforms. Especially in this day and age, when parents are too wrapped up in their own lives to even care that their kids are dressing like ghetto thugs and hookers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 06:41 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,818,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyy74 View Post
I find it interesting that on the 1st day of school,I went to the Elementary Center to sign a waiver (AGAINST) concerning CORPORAL PUNISHMENT of my child & the School Principle,MR LONG, had NO idea CORPORAL PUNISHMENT was in the GREATER NANTICOKE AREA EDUCATIONAL CENTER STUDENT HANDBOOK 2008-2009.
Corporal punishment is not legal in Pennsylvania schools. So Nanticoke may be breaking some laws there.....or they might just be lazy and haven't actually changed the handbook since the 1950's. If any teacher ever even raised a hand to my kid, I would become that teacher's worst nightmare.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 AM

103 posts, read 361,418 times
You people should of went to Parochial School in the 50's & 60's. Wasn't anything new to get smacked around by the nuns. Every day in 7th & 8th grade I would go to school and for no reason get beaten. My mom fought with the nun about it but did no good. Next day she was back to beating me. That was in St. Marys School in Nanticoke. To this day I have no use for Parochial Schools. Some kids complain about high school. For me going to public school after Parochial School was HEAVEN! Never got beaten or picked on or even bullied by other kids like in Parochial School.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,545 times
Here you will find solid support for the school dress code. Uniforms improve school attitudes about learning and remove school attitudes about who has the nicest clothes, most money to spend on wardrobe, etc.
Private schools are right on the money with dress codes for focus on learning and public schools are finally getting the message. Uniforms are also a piece of cake to maintain. Individuality should be expressed in humor and intelligence not in high end clothing labels.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:40 PM

8 posts, read 25,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyy74 View Post
ENFORCE the current dress code and do your jobs;if I wanted my child to wear a uniform I would send them private school. Control the situation but let the student council(if they have one) have a say in the dress code & treat them like "young adults".I find it interesting that on the 1st day of school,I went to the Elementary Center to sign a waiver (AGAINST) concerning CORPORAL PUNISHMENT of my child & the School Principle,MR LONG, had NO idea CORPORAL PUNISHMENT was in the GREATER NANTICOKE AREA EDUCATIONAL CENTER STUDENT HANDBOOK 2008-2009.What other IMPORTANT aspects of EDUCATION are School Administrators,School Superintendents,School Directors,School Principles & School Teachers clueless????

To answer your question...A LOT !!!!. My son is in the Educational Center and he just told me last night that girls are STILL wearing PJ's to school. I look at it this way if they don't and can't enforce this dress code they can't and won't enforce the new uniform one. MHO is that they want to have the students dress professionals so they act professional. Well when you go to the circus and they dress those little dogs up in tutu does that mean they are now ballet dancers. What they should be focusing on is getting their grade with the state up, getting better PSSA scores and producing a positive learning experience.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scranton Art Lover View Post
Here you will find solid support for the school dress code. Uniforms improve school attitudes about learning and remove school attitudes about who has the nicest clothes, most money to spend on wardrobe, etc.
Private schools are right on the money with dress codes for focus on learning and public schools are finally getting the message. Uniforms are also a piece of cake to maintain. Individuality should be expressed in humor and intelligence not in high end clothing labels.
I am not showing my support for the school dress code. QuQuite- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->*RE: uniforms improving school attitudes. I have done a lot of research on this such topic and that is quite the contrary. There is NO proof of having a uniform dress code being a good or bad thing for school district. I have a son who would rather wear his broken worn in sneakers then wear the nice new sneakers we bought him for this new school year. He is not a kid who cares about labels...he cares about being comfortable while he is in school, and for him that is jeans. He likes wearing polo's and wear them often along with T-shirt and hoodies. My kids are known as respectful, helpful, and caring (from neighbors, family, friends and teachers). But he is what you call a skater kid. But here is something for everyone to think about...why is it that we teach our children when they are very small to never judge a book by it's cover....but that is just what we are expecting our child do...be judge by the way the look. Interesting don't you think.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Oh brother...."free expression." Give me a break. In the real world, you usually cannot wear whatever you want to work, and school is supposedly to prepare kids for the real world, so I don't see a problem with dress codes/uniforms. Especially in this day and age, when parents are too wrapped up in their own lives to even care that their kids are dressing like ghetto thugs and hookers.

I bet a really good way to make the parent get their head out of their own little world, so their kids don't look like hookers and thugs, is to hit them in the money area.....make them leave work and come and get their kid from school if they are not following the dress code. I bet A LOT of parents could wake the hell up really quickly. If the school wants to get the kids ready for the real world...education is their job and from looking at the PSSA scores from the past few years....the school is failing in a major way.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:32 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
I teach in a school that is in it's second year of uniforms. School is public, middle class, predominantly Black, in suburban MD. We imposed it because some parents complained about the way they allowed their kids to come to school and why didn't we do something about it. It was sold by the PTSA as a cheaper way to dress your kid. That's fallacy one, now the kids wear two sets of clothes a day-uniform and "civvies". Parents are "encouraged" to buy the sets from the two approved providers at about 1/3 additional cost compared to a retail store.
Now, in addition to making sure that the kids have their books, notebooks, school ID, agenda book, etc. as they come into the classroom we now have to be uniform police making sure the student has on the correct shirt (no maker logo), plain socks, belt without a design, non-denim pants (khaki, non-cargo, no cords), shirt is not gathered at the back, two of the three buttons are buttoned (not 1, not 3, but 2), pants have no obvious logo.
If an administrator spots checks a classroom and obseves a student out of compliance the student may be sent to In School Suspension but the teacher will be disciplined with a defiency notice.
This year an attempt was made to ban earrings, necklaces and other jewelry but some of us rebelled and that was pulled back.
The PTSA meeting that originally approved uniforms had 60 parents in attendance with 32 in favor. This is a school with about 1100 students.
Our test scores have shown no significant improvement since the policy was enacted and in fact have dropped in a couple indicators.
The original research on school uniforms was done in poor, urban schools and even there the results were mixed.
Private schools get away with more than public schools can because they get to select their students and can put them out for any reason. And then those kids end up in public schools, which have to take them.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You want better schools? Get better teachers that are more interested in teaching instead of the enormous salary they can pull in for half a years work.
This is rich. Always blaming the teachers. I am a teacher, and I may have summers off, but I put in more hours during a school year than any parent could even imagine. I give up my prep period to help struggling students, spend countless hours planning lessons to help students to understand the content, and take my work home every single day of the week. In my opinion, I deserve summers off. However, I don't often get that because I am also a student taking college classes to satisfy PA state teaching requirements.

Before you go spouting off about teachers and their summers off, before you make assumptions about something that you obviously know nothing about, and before you start lumping all teachers into one group based on your ignorance, you might want to check your facts. There is not one teacher that I know, including myself, who went into the profession for the money. Teachers who do eventually make that high salary that you are speaking of have put in decades of teaching time and have taken college classes to earn more salary. Check your facts! It's all public knowledge.

By the way, what school district do you reside in that has teachers who are only in school for 1/2 year? Last I checked, we have 12 weeks off in the summer. Quite far from 1/2 year!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:06 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,801 times
random thoughts:

a uniform dress code makes it easier to get dressed each day

you don't have to have full wardrobes for pete's sake - regular clothes and 4-5 shirts/pants for the uniform.

mean kids will still be mean, they'll just find other ways to do it.

when I was in school there was a rule that you couldn't wear rock band shirts (meant to get rid of ugly images from bands like metallica) or beer shirts ("grab a heine" shirts were popular.)

it worked for about two weeks...then it was abandoned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania