Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:42 AM

142 posts, read 481,677 times

Advertisements

We are interested in moving to NE PA but have not narrowed down the areas we are interested in checking out yet.

Next month we are planning a four day trip to look around and we're looking for advice as to what areas to check out.

We would like to be within 3 hours of NY city.

We would like an area with a decent school district.

We want to be in a more populated area but still have at least 1/4 acre of property, we don't care for areas where the homes are right on top of one another.

We would like a home that is NOT in a homeowners association.

We would like an area where we can fence at least part of our property for our dogs.

We would like an area where we can find a 3 bedroom home under 200,000.00, even less if possible.

Any direction you can provide would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 08:54 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,130,114 times
You might want to check out clarks summit...It's approx.2hrs15 mins from NY
good school district..abington heights..the area is a mix of rural and city..
not secluded..they have a section with older homes that you can fence in property...it is basically a nice,safe,friendly area...you could probably get
a older home for about 170'+ taxes around 2k+ Any further specific info
just ask,there are alot of people here that know the different areas very well..

Old 08-17-2008, 09:15 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
I think you'd like West Pittston in Luzerne County. Has everything you have mentioned, and is situated inbetween Wilkes-Barre and Scranton (the regions two largest cities) so it's close to everything, shopping, entertainment, restaraunts ect., and if I'm not mistaken it's in the Wyoming area school district, which is one of the better districts in NEPA. It's a nice riverfront town will alot of victorian houses, nice, clean neighborhoods. Give it a look. let us know what you think.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
You might want to check out clarks summit...It's approx.2hrs15 mins from NY
good school district..abington heights..the area is a mix of rural and city..
not secluded..they have a section with older homes that you can fence in property...it is basically a nice,safe,friendly area...you could probably get
a older home for about 170'+ taxes around 2k+ Any further specific info
just ask,there are alot of people here that know the different areas very well..

Thanks. I had fished around in these forums back in March for info on areas to check out and Clarks Summit had been recommended as well as a few others. It looks like a nice area. Do you know why it would only be in the older home areas that we could fence part of the property?

Old 08-17-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I think you'd like West Pittston in Luzerne County. Has everything you have mentioned, and is situated inbetween Wilkes-Barre and Scranton (the regions two largest cities) so it's close to everything, shopping, entertainment, restaraunts ect., and if I'm not mistaken it's in the Wyoming area school district, which is one of the better districts in NEPA. It's a nice riverfront town will alot of victorian houses, nice, clean neighborhoods. Give it a look. let us know what you think.
Thank you. We will check that out too. I had also been recommended to check out the Broadheadsville area. Any other areas we should look at when we visit?

Old 08-17-2008, 07:18 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEEDMORESPACE2 View Post
Thanks. I had fished around in these forums back in March for info on areas to check out and Clarks Summit had been recommended as well as a few others. It looks like a nice area. Do you know why it would only be in the older home areas that we could fence part of the property?
The areas surrounding the town proper of Clarks Summit are teeming with newer subdivisions, most of which don't permit homeowners to install privacy fencing because they "don't look pretty." Heck, for that matter many developments up there even ban above-ground pools, so we commoners who can't afford in-ground pools apparently aren't allowed to go swimming in the summer.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:30 PM

It seems a lot of areas in PA are anti fencing.

Someone else said it best on another post -- fences make for good neighbors....

I did a search on real estate in Clarks Summit and a lot of nice homes came up in our price range. I did the same search on West Pittston and found 1 home?? Is that area more expensive?

I also found homes for sale in Scranton in our price range with at least .20 of an acre. But how do you tell the nice areas from the bad?

Anywhere else we should check out besides Clarks Summit and Broadheadsville?

Old 08-18-2008, 05:47 PM

25 posts, read 53,368 times
Default Wyoming County, Lake Winola/Mill City Area

Between clarks summit and Tunkhannock- this is a pretty and semi-rural area convenient to clarks summit and tunkhannock. This area has several conveniences, doctor, drug store, gas, markets - on rt. 307 within 2 or 3 miles -and the school district is a good one - my children graduated with great educations.

Lots of nice country homes and nice farmhouse styles, as well as cottage type residences. i'm moving closer to a parent or i'd remain. Nevertheless, it's a laid-back area and you can pretty much put a fence up anywhere. i used to have a less expensive method for my dogs - very large chain link "kennel" type enclosure. But you can privacy-fence your areas if you can dig a hole anywhere in pa. and not hit rock or find flat land. it's a safe and beautiful place, taxes are pretty low, and it's pretty much as private as you like to make it. No associations to deal with. 2 1/2 hrs. to GW bridge-i get my culture in nyc too, easy to travel to. It's a wonderful area. access to Rt. 81 to nyc and the Turnpike to Philly about 12 mi. on main roads. more info if you like, photographer@epix.net

Old 08-18-2008, 05:54 PM

25 posts, read 53,368 times
Default adding...

clarks summit is very strict about what you can and cannot do. even without homeowner associations, over the years, the town council has had issues with the public over rules and fines. from where to place a satellite dish to what people see in the (non-)privacy of your yard. i have friends and family there, but freedom and privacy don't seem to go with the high property taxes - i agree fences make great neighbors. i'll take my privacy and freedom over a perceived "status" home or neighborhood any day.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctransplant View Post
clarks summit is very strict about what you can and cannot do. even without homeowner associations, over the years, the town council has had issues with the public over rules and fines. from where to place a satellite dish to what people see in the (non-)privacy of your yard. i have friends and family there, but freedom and privacy don't seem to go with the high property taxes - i agree fences make great neighbors. i'll take my privacy and freedom over a perceived "status" home or neighborhood any day.
So it sounds kind of like belonging to a HOA anyway!?
Are they as strict with their older areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania