Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 07:48 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times

Advertisements

I'm considering buying a foreclosure in the Poconos area, but don't really know anything about the area. The question is what areas are 'reasonable' for 2nd home retreat and/or retirement down the road? What kind of prices for small chalets and what are dues?

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 03:22 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
The Pocono's is great, but I may be biased.. This is a buyer's market, so all areas are pretty much offering reasonable deals on primary & vacation/retirement homes.
Dues might run you anywhere from 700 to 1200 annually, depending on where you are. In the Pocono Lake Region, you can find many areas that have communities full of small chalets.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:09 PM

910 posts, read 2,991,538 times
Obviously it partially depends on how much you can spend! For around 100 you can get something decent for part time, but it also depends on where you're looking. Our dues are $500/yr

Old 09-02-2008, 05:02 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
There are smaller, older chalets or small houses in The Hideout starting at around $119,000. Our dues are $1,300. per yr. with an additional $178. per quarter for sewer and water services. There are currently no forclosures in The Hideout, although there are many homes for sale, mine being one of them!

Old 09-03-2008, 08:38 PM

692 posts, read 2,350,664 times
Hey again moorestown guy,
I would look in Lake Harmony if I were you... very similar vibe as moorestown/haddonfield etc.. community with artsy type stores, cute little restaurants, a nice lake, right by the slopes, an award winning golf course, etc. I personally own there and recommend it to anyone. If you need more info let me know.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:06 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
I'm considering buying a foreclosure in the Poconos area, but don't really know anything about the area. The question is what areas are 'reasonable' for 2nd home retreat and/or retirement down the road? What kind of prices for small chalets and what are dues?

Thanks for any info.

You can definitely get the type of house you are looking for. Just research the area and make sure it is where you want to land. Also, be knowledgeable about "dues" - most often to go up on a yearly basis and assessments can be added. You have to check the finacial stability of a HOA - for liability issues: ex: if someone gets into a accident and sues the Association - technically suing each property owner. There are many good HOA's but be careful of one's that do not do business the right way because it can technically trickle down to each homeowner.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:20 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post

Thanks for any info.
A specific foreclosure? If so, that would pretty much determine dues. . . You have to list your desires. Lake Harmony would be great if you're into motor boating; not your thing if leisurely kayaking is your goal. Large community setting w/ pool? Secluded mountain home?

Old 09-05-2008, 11:22 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
There are smaller, older chalets or small houses in The Hideout starting at around $119,000. Our dues are $1,300. per yr. with an additional $178. per quarter for sewer and water services. There are currently no forclosures in The Hideout, although there are many homes for sale, mine being one of them!
Do these dues of $1300 cover all the amenities in The Hideout? Are there any association type dues for roads/security/etc? That's a great price if so. . . .

Old 09-05-2008, 03:17 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
$1,300. covers garbage fees, all the maintainence of the roads, the 24 hr security staff, and all the upkeep of the amenities. Use of the pools are free, but there are registration fees for boating on the lake and you do have to pay to golf and to use the ski hill. There is the additional fee of $178 per quarter for Sewer and Water fees. It's rare to find a community with it's won sewage treatment plant and our water comes from artisian wells. There are no other charges except for usage of certain amenities.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:08 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times
If there are outstanding dues on a foreclosed property, make sure you (the buyer) won't be responsible for unpaid balances.

Also, there are a few pockets of 'not so nice' developments in the Poconos. Some of these places have great looking homes, but they may not be in a very safe area. If it looks too good to be true, the deal could be a problem in the future.

Visit the specific area, and do lots of research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania