Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 PM

159 posts, read 693,204 times

Advertisements

What the hell is with all these damn millipedes here?? The gnats which "are only around for two weeks" according to everyone here still haven't let up and now we have hordes of millipedes crawling up our house every night... Local stores say "no, we ain't got nutin for dem dere, dey only lasts 2 weeks anyways"- what the hell? Does anyone know what the heck they are talking about in this area (dingmans/lords valley)? All my neighbors say the same thing "yeah, it's gross, but they go away eventually"- WTF??

Does anybody actually treat their yards/houses to prevent infestation around here and if so, what do you use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 05:28 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,554,237 times
You can treat them by using Eurlich (that is who we used to use), but they always come back. If the foundation is damp they seem to come into the house. Certain areas are harder to cure, than others.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:30 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,554,237 times
BTW, Dingmans is where we had the problem. It was very disgusting and had to use the vaccum at least twice a day.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:31 AM

Yeah, we use a dehumidifier in the basement now (it is an above ground "walk-out" basement) and that helped keep them out of there, it's much better in the house (though you do still feel the occasional gooey crunch ). The worst is outside- the front of the house and the deck. I swear, there had to have been 300+ dead on our door mat the other morning. Disgusting is an understatement . This year seems worse than the past couple have been.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:32 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
We get them sometimes, but if we keep the dehumidifier going in the basement, they pretty much disappear.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:26 PM

Well, forget about "two weeks"- they are still going strong ! I just killed over 50 more in my garage- and that is after just sweeping up numerous other dead ones earlier today and the front of my house looks like something from a horror movie with them climbing up it by the hundreds. God, I gotta move the hell out of this area, you guys could keep it- I'm moving back down south where there is modern living, landscaped yards, nice weather year round and it is much cleaner . You can't keep anything "clean" here- cars, house, yard, etc. It's a dump! I can live with the occasional hurricane in FL- hell, one can take my house once a year and it is still better than this place! Whoever recommended Dingmans to me when we were looking to move can bite me lol.

Sorry guys, I know many of you like it here, but this is not my idea of how I want to live my life and it gets worse every day...

Old 09-28-2008, 06:44 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
I can live with the occasional hurricane in FL- hell, one can take my house once a year and it is still better than this place!
WOW!! Sounds like a horror flick for sure!!!

One thing I've learned in life though is "be careful what you wish for"...

Having gone through 4 hurricanes & seeing my neighbors & cousin all losing their homes (and what they've gone through & are STILL going through 4 years later), be careful what you wish for!!!

I hope the bug situation settles down for you!! Yuck!!!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:22 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times
See...you should have moved to The Hideout...no nasty bugs here!

My daughter had those bugs in her apartment in Dunmore...she had a grey rug and they were impossible to see...she NEVER walked barefoot. Once the colder weather sets in and you turn your heat on...they will go away. I know....no consolation now.

I can't believe that Pa. has more bugs than Florida...
i've seen bugs in Florida so big that you could walk them on a leash. Not to mention all the other crawly types of things....

Old 09-28-2008, 08:30 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
See...you should have moved to The Hideout...no nasty bugs here!

My daughter had those bugs in her apartment in Dunmore...she had a grey rug and they were impossible to see...she NEVER walked barefoot. Once the colder weather sets in and you turn your heat on...they will go away. I know....no consolation now.

I can't believe that Pa. has more bugs than Florida...
i've seen bugs in Florida so big that you could walk them on a leash. Not to mention all the other crawly types of things....
LOL!! You must mean our palmetto bugs!! Actually, the tenement I grew up in in Manhattan had "East River water bugs" that put our palmettos to shame...they got to about 6 inches &, as long as I live, I'll never forget the sound of my dad "crunching" them with his shoe!!

Eeeeeewwww!!!

I don't think there's "more" bugs in Pa than Florida...we just have them all year round & the natural predatory cycle keeps them in check most of the time. Up by y'all, 'cause you only have a certain period of warmer weather, they tend to proliferate more for a shorter time....

Old 09-28-2008, 12:34 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,454 times
Diazinon the outside perimeter of your house, it can be obtained at any hardware store, follow the directions, problem solved!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania