Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 10,307 times

Advertisements

I am moving to wilkes-barre soon, and have checked out different apartments in different areas. I loved the apartment at Mayflower Crossing apartments, completely brand new everything. BUT I have read so much bad stuff about Wilkes-Barre. Can anyone tell me if this is a bad area? The lady in the office said that they dont have a problem with crime there but I dont know if she was lying or not. I have read that south wilkes-barre is bad, is this in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 01:36 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,273,671 times
Mayflower Crossings used to be a low income housing project called Sheridan Manor. It used to be a common sight of shootings, drug bust and other violent crime. A few years ago some investors bought the complex, and completely overhauled it, got rid of the bad element, and raised the rents to keep the low income welfare types away. I'm not sure about this but I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinued renting to "section 8", and government subsidized (welfare) people also. Now poof! a brand new middle class housing development that hasn't had a headline making crime since it was bought out (what a surprise!). As far as I know it is now a nice, completely renovated apartment complex (without the scumbag thugs that destroyed the original low income Sheridan Manor.) As far as The city of Wilkes-Barre, don't believe the negative hype. I am a life long resident, and am currently raising my two children in the city. It is very safe when compared to other Pa. cities like York and Reading ect. It is a city and there is crime, but it's usually drug dealer on drug dealer crime. If you don't hang with or live a criminal lifestyle you'll have nothing to worry about. Wilkes-Barre is actually experiencing a huge drop-off in violent crime this year, and the city is aggressively taking on the criminals. They continue to hire new police officers, they are in the process of implanting video cameras in neighborhoods across the city, and are aggressively closing down bars and clubs with a history of violent crime. If you are considering moving to Wilkes-Barre, then this is the best time to do it. Along with the drop in crime is the downtown revitalization efforts that are just beginning to blossom. Mayflower Crossings is a good choice, I think you'll like it alot. And again don't believe the negative hype. Wilkes-Barre has gotten a bad reputation over that last 15-20 because there was a crime wave, and with it came alot of high profile violent crimes, but the city has been on the rebound for the last few years, and is a nice city.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:39 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,273,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krystal888 View Post
I am moving to wilkes-barre soon, and have checked out different apartments in different areas. I loved the apartment at Mayflower Crossing apartments, completely brand new everything. BUT I have read so much bad stuff about Wilkes-Barre. Can anyone tell me if this is a bad area? The lady in the office said that they dont have a problem with crime there but I dont know if she was lying or not. I have read that south wilkes-barre is bad, is this in that area?
Oh I almost forgot, Mayflower Crossings is in the Mayflower section of the Heights (upper Heights). It is not in south Wilkes-Barre which is pretty shady in certain areas.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:08 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Oh I almost forgot, Mayflower Crossings is in the Mayflower section of the Heights (upper Heights). It is not in south Wilkes-Barre which is pretty shady in certain areas.
Really? I LOVE tree-lined streets!

Old 09-14-2008, 08:18 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,644 times
I live blocks from there and LOVE the area. I walk my dogs everyday in the area and never have felt unsafe. The Heights are a nice area and you will enjoy it there. Mayflower really does look great and you should not worry about taking a place there.

The heights are loaded with friendly people too as I have found from my walks with the dogs. You'll be ok. DM me if you have more questions

Old 09-14-2008, 08:33 PM

134 posts, read 292,627 times
Yes Wilkes-Barres crime problem (and alot of the rest of the area) is due to a "Drug" class. The area lends itself to distribution of all things due to its proximity to 50% of the nations population and the low income. But we don't have drive by's or anything like that.The crime is very localized and you would know if you were in it. Compared to the rest of the country though drugs are very cheap thus leading to a home based drug problem.For the most part though we are all just happy drunks.
Really the only problem you would have with mayflower crossings is knowing your living in what used to be a project. Its a safe area and was even when it was a project.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
But again it is very localized. You a few blocks away from that element. The closer you get to Park Ave(the boundary between the heights and OKT) the worse it is and mayflower is as far away as you can be in the heights. Just keep your car doors locked and don't drive a Bentley. You'll be fine.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:41 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconan View Post
But again it is very localized. You a few blocks away from that element. The closer you get to Park Ave(the boundary between the heights and OKT) the worse it is and mayflower is as far away as you can be in the heights. Just keep your car doors locked and don't drive a Bentley. You'll be fine.
Isn't the part of the Heights near to Sherman Hills sketchy too? That neighborhood directly along Coal Street always depresses me whenever I head into the city. The only bright spot is that you have an awesome view of the skyline.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:48 PM

The interesting part of that area is they don't cross the street. The houses on the other side of coal street are very nice and well maintained. Sherman street though is hit and miss. The problems with the houses up that way has alot to do with the 10 foot wide streets.

Every town in this area has projects. Ive been to most of them and they all have a project. Sometimes they call them trailer parks but you name the town and I will tell you where the project is.

Last edited by bobconan; 09-14-2008 at 09:34 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 01:40 PM

21 posts, read 43,263 times
If your from NJ wilkes barre is a cup of tea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania