Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 05:04 PM

77 posts, read 157,402 times

Advertisements

I hope you can help me.we are going to the Poconos to look for a Vacation home and we are just wondering what people think of the Hideout..
Homes seem very reasonable..
Is it a safe area??
How big is the ski mountain??
Is it a safe place to invest in??
Thanks for all you input..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 05:44 PM

45 posts, read 132,434 times
it used to be the premier spot to have a vacation home near lake wallenpaupack. several years ago it was opened up to section 8 (i'm not saying it is bad to receive section 8) and problems seemed to follow. just to caution you, it's not the place it appears in the brochure or at first showing, however, some people have lived there for years.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:55 PM

Thank you Vince,I will take that into consideration..
What communities would you recommend to look at??

Old 09-22-2008, 06:04 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceWhirlwind View Post
it used to be the premier spot to have a vacation home near lake wallenpaupack. several years ago it was opened up to section 8 (i'm not saying it is bad to receive section 8) and problems seemed to follow. just to caution you, it's not the place it appears in the brochure or at first showing, however, some people have lived there for years.

Since you seem to know so much...how about backing up that comment with some facts. I hate when a poster is looking for information and someone gives the info such as yours. It is not what it appears to be?? Well then...what is it?? Section 8?? Try even finding a year round rental in The Hideout. They are in very high demand...oh yes...you could rent monthly....for about $4,000.00 I don't think Section 8 is paying those kind of rents these days. Some people have lived there for years...Yes...some people have lived here for more than 30 years.
The Hideout is still a perfect place to have a vacation home. I can say that because I LIVE here...not heresay.

It is a safe place to live. Crime is almost non-existent. I know of no one who has had problems with crime. The Community is also financially sound.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:06 PM

Well I guess i will have to take a look ..
Can you please tell me what you like about the Hideout and how big is the ski mountain

Old 09-22-2008, 06:24 PM

936 posts, read 2,396,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntweir View Post
Well I guess i will have to take a look ..
Can you please tell me what you like about the Hideout and how big is the ski mountain
I can tell you also that the Hideout is a safe and wonderful area. I love the people here, everyone is friendly. The best things are the amenities. We have a clubhouse with a bar and restaurant. We have golf, tennis, pools and many other amenities.

In the summer we have a Tiki Bar that serves food right on the beach. OMG its beautiful there. There is also entertainment in the Tiki, clubhouse and the main lodge.

Yes we do have skiing, but its a small hill mainly for children.

Dont listen to negative things about our community they are not true!!!

good luck.
roxy

Old 09-23-2008, 01:41 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
The Hideout is a wonderful place for a vacation home. Lots of amenities, activities, and very very nice people. Crime is virtually non-exisitant (except if you count speeding tickets for exeeding the 25 mph limit).

Old 09-23-2008, 05:18 PM

What do I like about The hideout.....way too much to type here....check out there web-site to see all it offers....Hideout POA - Home
Ski Hill...I'll be honest...not very big...but it is a big hit with vacationing families...price is right...they have rentals...lessons...and snow tubing also....new lift going in as we speak...nice ski lodge....
ice skating too....

Old 09-24-2008, 02:00 PM

69 posts, read 223,752 times
We have visited the Hideout two different times to look at houses - we are seriously thinking of a move to the area full-time. Riding around, everything looked wonderful. We were in there at around 4 pm - just as the kids were getting dropped home from school on the buses. Normal, typical kids - each walking with a cell phone in their hand or IPod earphones in their ears.

As we have a 13 year old son who is in the 8th grade, I would be very interested in hearing from those of you who have first hand knowledge of the schools. I know overall Western Wayne isn't looked upon as favorably as some others, but I am wondering if this is a valid concern or is it because lots of people think that what they've got is the best?

Old 09-24-2008, 06:19 PM

My daughter graduated from Western Wayne 3 years ago, having attended since first grade. Western Wayen has some great sports, and some not os great sports, they have outstanding art and music programs, they have a full range of academic as well as other classes. They have a good administration and school board, and dedicated teachers. They are strict, adressing any problems immediately. They have a dress code also. While state test scores are not as high as Wallenpaupack and North Pocono, it is still a great school with many kids getting tons of money is college scholarships. There classrooms are equiped with modern equipment, considering they are in the county. They have smart boards in many classrooms, if not all. Since I have lived here for 14 1/2 years, and have 2 children...I have met MANY kids who have moved from somewhere else during the school year to attend Western Wayne. I have yet to meet one who has anything bad to say about it. They love their new school. Kids here are used to new students also and welcome them and include them right away. The new kids get a lot of attention. They also have an FBLA team that usually goes to State levels every year.
I'd be happy to answer any other querstions you may have about Western Wayne or The Hideout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania