Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 12:37 PM

25 posts, read 70,398 times

Advertisements

hey, finally closed and moved into a cabin near harvey's lake. much work to be done but it's ours and wife and kids are out of the city. got furniture second hand. bought new beds. found contractor. now what i need is a used lawnmower, push style and a little fishing boat with a trailer and outboard motor. all help is appreciated. with luck wife will want to move to nepa permanently and i can finally be done with NYC. NYC is nice to work but not to enjoy life, pa is the way to go. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 12:56 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,130,547 times
very good..best of luck..

Old 07-16-2008, 01:21 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaspethMatt View Post
hey, finally closed and moved into a cabin near harvey's lake. much work to be done but it's ours and wife and kids are out of the city. got furniture second hand. bought new beds. found contractor. now what i need is a used lawnmower, push style and a little fishing boat with a trailer and outboard motor. all help is appreciated. with luck wife will want to move to nepa permanently and i can finally be done with NYC. NYC is nice to work but not to enjoy life, pa is the way to go. thanks
Oh congrats. I hear you ; since we bought our vacation place, dh and I have spoken more about moving to PA full time. We recycled most of our furniture from our house here in NY and only bought new beds. Eventually we will get new furniture, but not yet ; the bank manager would frown.

Congrats again.

d

Old 07-16-2008, 02:37 PM

910 posts, read 2,993,453 times
Congratulations! I would definitely check the poconos craigslist for your desired items. Some times they are close enough to pick up and better yet free!!

Old 07-16-2008, 03:15 PM

755 posts, read 2,334,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaspethMatt View Post

You might also want to check out Freecycle. If you PM me where you are, I can send you some links. A used lawn mower should be easy to find..the other stuff might be a little harder. Good luck!!

Old 11-07-2008, 09:17 AM

Default No more Water

well do i feel foolish. aqua penn shut off my water earlier than expected. i made an appointment for nov 3 and they turned the valve oct 15. good thing wife and i had bottled water and other stuff to live on until the next day. aqua told us that they probably did us a favor because there was a night of below freezing weather, who knows. either way i'm still learning. wonder how hard it is to winterize the cabin?

Old 11-07-2008, 02:51 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
Winterizing is simple....turn off the water at the main water supply. Open all the faucets in the house. Drain the water. Then get a air compressor to blow out any water left in the lines. To be extra safe I buy 2 gallons on -35 degree windshield wiper fluid for a couple of bucks and dump it down all the drains to clean out the water in the traps.
Hope this helped. Its a simple process. Or you can pay someone $25-$50 to do it.
Good luck.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:01 PM

513 posts, read 1,080,464 times
"Then get a air compressor to blow out any water left in the lines"
Blow in one faucet, and it comes out another?

Old 11-09-2008, 10:14 PM

thanks for all the info. i knew about the compressor, borrowed one from a bud. the rv antifreeze had all the info i needed on the label. only thing is that if we come up in the winter to check on the place i have to buy some more antifreeze for the toilet. i wonder if there is something cheaper and more enviromentally friendly instead of antifreeze. any suggestions? oh yeah, i put a little cooking oil down the traps after the antifreeze to keep the stuff from evaporating.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:57 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
I second craigslist and freecycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania