Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:25 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Well I must report that there have already been problems with voting here in Pittston Township in Northern Luzerne County. Due to my very hectic schedule here on campus I arrived at our municipal building to vote just after 7 AM. After waiting in line for about 25 minutes it was finally my turn to approach an empty machine and perform my civic duty. Apparently the person before had NOT clicked on the bright red "VOTE" button to confirm their selections, so I asked a volunteer there whom I knew from the community what to do. After some confusion I was told to just continue on. Since that person had chosen "Straight Democrat" I had started to change the selection from Rep. Paul Kanjorski (D) to Lou Barletta (R), but it was telling me I had already selected the maximum number of candidates so I asked another nearby official what to do while the first volunteer explained what had happened. She was very rude to me and tried telling me I had to vote for the options that were already selected since she had no way to tell if I was "lying" about my selections and merely wanted a second chance to vote. After some bickering I finally figured out that just touching the check-marked candidate's name would de-select it and permit you to select another. I finally altered the prior voter's choices to conform to my wishes, which was split pretty much 50/50 between Democrats and Republicans, and I pressed in the "VOTE" button to cast my ballot electronically.

However, is it NOT the responsibility of these volunteers and officials to ensure that every machine is cleared and ready BEFORE new voters approach them? If I hadn't noticed this flap to begin with then how many subsequent voters throughout the day may have had similar problems. The person who attempted to vote before me did NOT have their vote counted, since I changed their choices to vote for myself, as instructed. In this sense of ANY of those Democrats this person had selected should not happen to win this election I'm going to contact their respective campaigns to let them know that at least one voter's wishes (and Lord knows how many more given that the line was already far-reaching when I had arrived this morning) were NOT counted.

If Sen. Obama doesn't win this election after seeing with my own eyes that at least one vote for him was NOT counted, then I pledge that Pennsylvania will be "2000 Election---Florida Style."

What sort of training do these election volunteers or officials have? The machine makes a very audible beeping noise when you vote, so if people were leaving the machines without that noise being registered, then should not that have alerted them to instruct the voter that his or her ballot was incomplete? Furthermore I may lodge a complaint with Luzerne County over how RUDELY I was treated by the second official who accused me of LYING. As a retail warrior if I ever see that woman come into Lowe's I will REFUSE her service and see how SHE likes being dissed by a public servant.

Any other election problems out there in NEPA? Considering the rapid residential growth of Pittston Township I was surprised how little consideration there was to keep things running smoothly here. What, does Luzerne County wish to cede us to Lackawanna County or something?

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 11-04-2008 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: Removal of Political Incorrectness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 07:50 AM

164 posts, read 385,057 times
I'm glad that you took the time out of your busy schedule to vote Paul, I know you said that you might not have time.

I am sure that there will be many problems as people will feel rushed due to the long lines ... I do not however think that we should automatically assume that the person who did not have his/her vote counted was elderly ... I am approching the golden years of my life and somehow I do not think that once I am a senior citizen I will suddenly dumb down ... I am sorry if I took offense to your blaming the elderly and I certainly do not want to pick on you ... but why must you always throw that into your posts? I know some very intelligent seniors and if you actually start to listen to what it is they have to say ... you may just learn something from them. Lets learn to respect them ... as we would like to be respected.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:54 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
But he was right. Old people do have problems with some things, and technology is one of them. It doesn't make them "dumb," its just something they're not accustomed to, and you know what they say about teaching an old dog new tricks.

I'm the other way around....I love the newer methods of voting like the touch screens (I wish Lackawanna County kept them), but I HATED the old voting booths with the levers. But the old people seemed to have no problems with those.

Old people may not necessarily "dumb down," but they do slow down, and that affects reflexes, senses, etc....especially with driving....and old age can bring forgetfulness....

Old 11-04-2008, 07:58 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
Sorry to here about your misfortune. My polling place is in a strange location in North Wilkes-Barre. It's at Riverstreet Manor, it doesn't even face the road, and if you don't inquire to where it is, then good luck finding it. I can see how someone would have a problem with the machines, because when you pick all your choices, the red vote button starts beeping and blinking, so after you press it, you may assume that you have voted, but then a "Confirm" screen comes on afterward. If you're not paying attention then you may not notice the "confirm' screen and assume that your vote was cast by just pressing the red vote button. I still like the new electronic machines much better then those old antiques they used to use. At my polling place it was pretty busy, and there was a good mix of old, young, white, black, and alot of younger college aged students (which is a good sign). The poll worker told me that she has been working the polls for 25 years, and has never seen it so busy. Usually when I vote there are only about two or three old people in there voting, and they always make a comment on how young I am (I guess I'm the only person under 85 years old), but this time it was noticably alot more busy. When I left, I noticed a black college kid (I think he was a campaign worker) covered with McCain/Palin buttons and signs, and I thought... wow! that's a rare one in this election. I had no problems at all, I was in and out in about 15 minutes.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:03 AM

37 posts, read 99,541 times
Totally unrelated to voting, but you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. My mom and I have done it.

As for voting, sadly I know many people who are not voting today. Myself included because I never had the chance to change my polling place and I am not driving more than an hour to vote. However, I DO support Obama, and I have a gut feeling that tomorrow it will be his name they announce as our new President.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:20 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
[quote=ScranBarre;5997770]Well I must report that there have already been problems with voting here in Pittston Township in Northern Luzerne County. Due to my very hectic schedule here on campus I arrived at our municipal building to vote just after 7 AM. After waiting in line for about 25 minutes it was finally my turn to approach an empty machine and perform my civic duty. Apparently the person before had NOT clicked on the bright red "VOTE" button to confirm their selections, so I asked a volunteer there whom I knew from the community what to do. After some confusion I was told to just continue on. Since that person had chosen "Straight Democrat" I had started to change the selection from Rep. Paul Kanjorski (D) to Lou Barletta (R), but it was telling me I had already selected the maximum number of candidates so I asked another nearby official what to do while the first volunteer explained what had happened. She was very rude to me and tried telling me I had to vote for the options that were already selected since she had no way to tell if I was "lying" about my selections and merely wanted a second chance to vote. After some bickering I finally figured out that just touching the check-marked candidate's name would de-select it and permit you to select another. I finally altered the prior voter's choices to conform to my wishes, which was split pretty much 50/50 between Democrats and Republicans, and I pressed in the "VOTE" button to cast my ballot electronically.

However, is it NOT the responsibility of these volunteers and officials to ensure that every machine is cleared and ready BEFORE new voters approach them? If I hadn't noticed this flap to begin with then how many subsequent voters throughout the day may have had similar problems. The person who attempted to vote before me did NOT have their vote counted, since I changed their choices to vote for myself, as instructed. In this sense of ANY of those Democrats this person had selected should not happen to win this election I'm going to contact their respective campaigns to let them know that at least one voter's wishes (and Lord knows how many more given that the line was already far-reaching when I had arrived this morning) were NOT counted.

If Sen. Obama doesn't win this election after seeing with my own eyes that at least one vote for him was NOT counted, then I pledge that Pennsylvania will be "2000 Election---Florida Style."

What sort of training do these election volunteers or officials have? The machine makes a very audible beeping noise when you vote, so if people were leaving the machines without that noise being registered, then should not that have alerted them to instruct the voter (who was probably elderly) that his or her ballot was incomplete? Furthermore I may lodge a complaint with Luzerne County over how RUDELY I was treated by the second official who accused me of LYING. As a retail warrior if I ever see that woman come into Lowe's I will REFUSE her service and see how SHE likes being dissed by a public servant.

You know what SWB you use that "probably elderly" way too much.
I was coming on this morning to say that the "young lad" before me
DID NOT press the VOTE button which in our case was GREEN and not red. The big button on the right bottom.
The young man, walked away and said " is it alright I didn't hear anything"
A polling official reached over, without looking and hit the button.
So it is not just the elderly that do wrong things.
Last time we had the pull the curtain type.........that automatically did the closing of the vote.
So, now.........things are different. People might think they leave and then it is counted, as the other machine had worked.
Without that button being hit by your previous voter....... That other voters votes needed to be set in.........
But, for the record..........it very well could have been a first time voter, or an older voter.
I just would not have voted without solving that if I were you. It would have stopped me dead in my tracks.
PS so it looks like the person before you's vote did not count.........How sad is that.

Last edited by Summering; 11-04-2008 at 08:43 AM..

Old 11-04-2008, 08:23 AM

87 posts, read 183,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
But he was right. Old people do have problems with some things, and technology is one of them. It doesn't make them "dumb," its just something they're not accustomed to, and you know what they say about teaching an old dog new tricks.

I'm the other way around....I love the newer methods of voting like the touch screens (I wish Lackawanna County kept them), but I HATED the old voting booths with the levers. But the old people seemed to have no problems with those.

Old people may not necessarily "dumb down," but they do slow down, and that affects reflexes, senses, etc....especially with driving....and old age can bring forgetfulness....
Vote in Old Forge you have to circle your vote in... how old is that? Also, I thought there was a law about campaigning right outside the door for a candidate? So many feet from the polling place???? I guess laws don't apply in certain areas.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:41 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Gosh, there is a law here. They had a sign where people could stand......so many feet out. 50?
We have no pins or other party items allowed either.
Gosh, circle a vote...........looks like a very old idea, not even a chad to be found.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:54 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Well since you have all totally missed the main point of my thread which was more or less "If the person before me did not have their vote registered then how many others can say the same?" I have edited my original post to assuage these ageist tensions that have arisen. I hate to stereotype, but in all of my experiences with new technology it has always been those in the elderly category who don't know an iPhone from an iPod, for example. At work whenever I tell an elderly customer that there are web sites available that can help assist them with certain topics that I'm not qualified to advise them upon I'm often met with "I don't have a computer."

In any event BESIDES the ageist comment I made and all of your attempts to flare tempers at me, were there any other allegations of impropriety at the polls? Any other instances of non-uniformed training for election volunteers that may alter the outcome of our election? In such a tight race every vote matters, and by golly if Sen. Obama loses by just one vote I'm going to make a big fuss over the person before me who voted for him but whose vote was not registered.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 11-04-2008 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 11-04-2008, 09:01 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
It seems no matter how easy they make it, people are still dumb.

I think we need to find someway to streamline the voting in this country and get it working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania