Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:59 AM

159 posts, read 693,364 times

Advertisements

OK, I live in Conashaugh Lakes and am wondering what to do with all these leaves. They need to have a leaf pickup/disposal service like any other civilized community does in 2008.... Their thoughts are "just rake them into the woods"- but the brush surrounding my house is LOADED with rotting leaves which smells awful after getting wet. To make it worse, 2 of my dogs and myself have already tested positive for Lymes exposure since moving here and the bugs are unbearable- so I am not going to add to the over abundance of rotting organic matter all around my yard! I am on a mission to clean things up a bit here and just will not add to it. I have burned them, but there are far too many(2-3 car sized piles!) to use a burn barrel and even burning them in piles takes 3+ days of non-stop smoke and smoldering.

Does anyone know if there are any private leaf pick up services or if you can rent dumpsters for organic stuff? It's worth the couple hundred bucks or so once a year for a dumpster if I can go that route. Any advice/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 08:34 AM

25 posts, read 70,398 times
get a burn barrel

Old 11-10-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaspethMatt View Post
get a burn barrel
from my original post-
Quote:
I have burned them, but there are far too many(2-3 car sized piles!) to use a burn barrel and even burning them in piles takes 3+ days of non-stop smoke and smoldering.
Yeah, I tried a burn barrel my first year- forget it- after about 4 days of using it and only burning about half, I gave up and just burned the rest in a pile . Conashaugh tries to tell you you are not allowed to cut down trees, but I think quite a few are going to come down next year- this is ridiculous. There are way too many here and not enough "usable" yard anyway. There are trees covering virtually every square foot of my yard. When THEY pay for our Lyme treatments, clean up our yard, rake our leaves, etc.- then they can tell me what to do with the trees and leaves in MY yard...

Old 11-10-2008, 08:44 AM

620 posts, read 2,056,438 times
I think all of the leaves are part of living in a wooded community...they are an important part of soil development, a big way that the ground gets nourishes. Suburbia has big problems with loss of top soil, and nutrient depleted top soil, because no organic matter (leaves mostly) is going back into the yards. You could always run a lawn mower over them, which will speed up the decomposition process, or even start a huge compost pile, and use it next year in your garden.

I'd bet that you'll have ticks whether there are lots of leaves around or not. It is annoying but around this time of the year, and early Spring, I check my dog every time he comes in, just to be safe. And take a look at your own body when you are showering. A tick has to be attached for 2-3 days to transmit Lyme's disease.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
I think all of the leaves are part of living in a wooded community...they are an important part of soil development, a big way that the ground gets nourishes. Suburbia has big problems with loss of top soil, and nutrient depleted top soil, because no organic matter (leaves mostly) is going back into the yards. You could always run a lawn mower over them, which will speed up the decomposition process, or even start a huge compost pile, and use it next year in your garden.

I'd bet that you'll have ticks whether there are lots of leaves around or not. It is annoying but around this time of the year, and early Spring, I check my dog every time he comes in, just to be safe. And take a look at your own body when you are showering. A tick has to be attached for 2-3 days to transmit Lyme's disease.
I've lived in wooded communities in both NY and CT and they still had leaf pick up services . This place is archaic at best by comparison . I agree that the leaves are good for the soil, but there are still plenty falling into the woods here, I just don't want to add more on top of that. Besides, the wooded area around my yard is so loaded with mountain laurel that I can't even get the leaves past them and back further into the woods, so all the leaves would just basically sit around the edge of my driveway and such .

Yes, ticks need to be attached for 24-48 or so to transmit lyme disease. I don't know how I missed it on me, but one of my dogs is a German Shepherd and there is no way to find/feel them on her until after they are fully engorged .

I also agree that they will still be here regardless, but I am not going to make it worse either. Like I said, I don't mind the leaves in the wooded area, but I have no way to get the massive piles of leaves I have here deep enough into the woods to not have them be a nuisance .

Old 11-10-2008, 09:13 AM

620 posts, read 2,056,438 times
Something I just though of, is that there are these special garbage bags they sell at Wegmans I saw. They are made of a corn product, that naturally degrades. So, you can put yard waste in the bags, and then put the bags somewhere in the woods, and over time it will all compost, and the bag too, will rot away. Sounds like you already have them rakes into piles, so that might work for getting them into the woods past the mountain laurel. I think they are called biobags, they sell them in their organic section by all the natural cleaners.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:08 AM

858 posts, read 3,044,827 times
My buddy has been doing landscaping for over 10 years. Thats one of the big things he dose this time of year is get rid of leaves. If you want his number let me know?? I know he is very busy but would get the job done for you in a couple hour's.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:46 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,401,308 times
Too bad there isn't a way to make fireplace logs out of the extra leaves. If would be a free source of heat for lots of people. If someone could invent a machine that does this, it would be a good way to make money.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:06 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,768,442 times
Our lawn mower has a mulching feature...my hubbie rakes them into the lawn and runs the mower over them...they grind up into little itsy bisty pieces and add to the soil. We live in a community 'in the woods' so, raking a actually getting rid of them is impossible.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:37 AM

858 posts, read 3,044,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Our lawn mower has a mulching feature...my hubbie rakes them into the lawn and runs the mower over them...they grind up into little itsy bisty pieces and add to the soil. We live in a community 'in the woods' so, raking a actually getting rid of them is impossible.
The Hideout also has a place you can get rid of all your leaves, Im sure you know where it is. Right across from the main beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania