Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:02 AM

246 posts, read 593,369 times

Advertisements

Hello
I would like to know if anybody can tell me if I need a permit to add a staircase to my basement .I live in the Pike Area and have been trying to find some anwsers on line but have not had any luck finding the info I need .Thanks for any help you guys & ladys can give me .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offwing View Post
Hello
I would like to know if anybody can tell me if I need a permit to add a staircase to my basement .I live in the Pike Area and have been trying to find some anwsers on line but have not had any luck finding the info I need .Thanks for any help you guys & ladys can give me .

your best bet will be to find the local building inspector and ask them. They are the ones that would issue the permit and inspect the staircase.

Keep in mind current code requires no less than 6'-8" headroom, 36"wide, treads can be no less than 9" and rise can be no more than 8 1/4". Your local building official can issue a variance if they see fit. But this is why you would need to talk to the person who will be inspecting the stairs to be sure you won't have to rip it out and redo it....

Old 11-11-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
your best bet will be to find the local building inspector and ask them. They are the ones that would issue the permit and inspect the staircase.

Keep in mind current code requires no less than 6'-8" headroom, 36"wide, treads can be no less than 9" and rise can be no more than 8 1/4". Your local building official can issue a variance if they see fit. But this is why you would need to talk to the person who will be inspecting the stairs to be sure you won't have to rip it out and redo it....
Thank you.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:40 PM

513 posts, read 1,080,104 times
Or...you could say this is my home, and I will do with it what I see fit. Gather knoweldge and build your staircase. Build it right, and it will serve you well. Build it shoddily, and if you or someone else injures themselves on it, you'll pay...dearly.
I'm 45 years old, I've built my own decks, done my own plumbing and electrical work, etc, etc, and I have never asked for a permit from the government to improve my own property. And, it's all been up to whatever the code was at that time. Now, I've never done any work that would draw the prying eye of the local bureaucrats, like building a garage or an addition to my home. You're just asking for trouble by not getting a permit for something visually obvious like that.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:12 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,114,293 times
http://www.arcways.com/pdfs/IRC2006.pdf

When starting a construction project, it is always wise to check with your permitting authority, as they each have different rules and regulations as to what does and does not require a permit.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE_NePA View Post
Or...you could say this is my home, and I will do with it what I see fit. Gather knoweldge and build your staircase. Build it right, and it will serve you well. Build it shoddily, and if you or someone else injures themselves on it, you'll pay...dearly.
I'm 45 years old, I've built my own decks, done my own plumbing and electrical work, etc, etc, and I have never asked for a permit from the government to improve my own property. And, it's all been up to whatever the code was at that time. Now, I've never done any work that would draw the prying eye of the local bureaucrats, like building a garage or an addition to my home. You're just asking for trouble by not getting a permit for something visually obvious like that.
Well I am thinking about building it myself .I'm pretty handy and I believe I can do it myself .The reason I ask about a permit is if I choose to sell the house down the road I don't want to have any problems with home inspectors.But I am trying to do my home work on which path to take .

Old 11-11-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
http://www.arcways.com/pdfs/IRC2006.pdf

When starting a construction project, it is always wise to check with your permitting authority, as they each have different rules and regulations as to what does and does not require a permit.
Thank you.Poconoproud

Old 11-11-2008, 07:56 PM

513 posts, read 1,080,104 times
Building to code, and getting a permit are two different things. I am in favor of the first to a point, and strongly opposed to the latter. If you go ask about a permit, then don't apply, you may find yourself in trouble later, via a surprise inspection or close scrutiny trying to catch you. But a home inspection at resale does not report things to any gov't authority. They point out things that are not up to current code (could have been code when built). Buyer could insist you bring up to code, and insist work done at that point gets a permit if needed. Of they could say "Works for me", and disregard.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE_NePA View Post
Building to code, and getting a permit are two different things. I am in favor of the first to a point, and strongly opposed to the latter. If you go ask about a permit, then don't apply, you may find yourself in trouble later, via a surprise inspection or close scrutiny trying to catch you. But a home inspection at resale does not report things to any gov't authority. They point out things that are not up to current code (could have been code when built). Buyer could insist you bring up to code, and insist work done at that point gets a permit if needed. Of they could say "Works for me", and disregard.
I am going to build it to code it was the permit part that I was worried about .Alot of people I've talked to tell me just build the thing already just make sure it's safe and strong .
Thank you DE-NePA for your insight it is very helpful.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:21 PM

173 posts, read 582,503 times
i agree i've never gotten a permit for any inside work to my own home. i find it silly, its my house... why do i need to ask permission to do something? Thats basically all a permit is... As long as you follow the code you should have no problems later if you decide to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania