Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 05:08 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,141,443 times

Advertisements

It'll cost ya $30 bucks to use them now .

=================================
Most people who want to use one of Pennsylvania's 29 public shooting ranges on state gamelands now need a $30 permit or a current general hunting or furtaking license.
The state Game Commission on Friday announced the rules were imposed after upgrades were made to the ranges including lead remediation and safety barriers.
Permits are available through the Game Commission's website, at agency headquarters in Harrisburg or at six regional offices. Monroe County's range is in State Gameland No. 127. off Route 423, and Pike County's is in State Gameland No. 183 off Route 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 08:07 AM

106,705 posts, read 108,880,922 times
its still a great deal. it just makes it inconvieniant when the kids or friends come up and you want to shoot.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:42 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,865 times
I read the regulation, and you're allowed to bring one guest with you. If the money is used for the upkeep of the ranges, then I'm all for it. For $30, it is still a good deal.

State Game Lands
Quote:
Exceptions to this new permit requirement are those 15 years of age and younger properly accompanied by a licensed or permitted person 18 years of age or older. Each licensed hunter or range permit holder may have one guest.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:51 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,923,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
It'll cost ya $30 bucks to use them now .
I don't really have a problem with this. It costs money to patrol & maintain those ranges. You've got these back-mountain whack-jobs sniping shooters and murdering wardens, so look for an increased enforcement effort by the wardens. That requires money. And even though I have a nice membership with an indoor range, there's still something to be said for being outdoors.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
You've got these back-mountain whack-jobs sniping shooters and murdering wardens, so look for an increased enforcement effort by the wardens.

This permit is going to prevent a lot of non hunters from using them since they won't want to cough up the $30, that is probably the intention.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This permit is going to prevent a lot of non hunters from using them since they won't want to cough up the $30, that is probably the intention.
I'm sure you're right. But since the game commission is mostly funded by licenses anyway, and since they're the ones doing the upkeep / patrol on these ranges, well ... I really have a hard time getting worked up over it.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:01 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,791,444 times
They are pretty expensive to maintain due to needing to collect and dispose of all that lead. Could save $10 (currently) by obtaining a hunting license and then using the rangs. Of course you do need to pass a hunter safety course first but that is also a very good idea.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Of course you do need to pass a hunter safety course first but that is also a very good idea.
I'm a firm believer that there's no such thing as "too much training" when it comes to shooting.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:15 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,099,864 times
Ok then if they are for "hunters" then why have a pistol range?

I hunt and well I think that the state gets plenty money from the licenses for this that they need not collect more and if they are going to do this then they better start putting wood back up as the target backers in Archbald.

What about the local police depts that use the ranges to qualify and then DESTROY them and walk away? I have watched countless PD's use the Archblad pistol range for their shotgun, rifle and pistol quals and they level the backers and leave it that way.

Personally they do more damage to the ranges then the citizens.

When I was at the range 3 times a week or more I would upkeep the pistol range at Archbald out of pocket by replacing the OSB wood backers with leftovers from roofing jobs so that the range was always in good shape when I went to shoot, until I watched a local PD level the boards 1 day after I installed all new wood right in front of me with their 12ga shotguns on the pistol range.

When I commented on why they would do that, I was told they were allowed to do it because they were police. I laughed at the Lt. in charge and told him that he owed me $35 for the wood, I turned them into the state and followed up on it, I was told that they(PD's) were required to replace what they destroyed. To date I have only seen one local PD come to the range with pre-cut backers to put up when they were done.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Personally they do more damage to the ranges then the citizens.
If you have proof that the ranges are being destroyed, go to the Game Commission and complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania