Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 11:17 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Pittston Area has school today and tomorrow. It's really tough to try to "bank in" a proper number of snow days because Mother Nature can be so unpredictable. For example, North Pocono has already exhausted all of its built-in snow days whereas Scranton had too many planned. Certain schools close more frequently than others. North Pocono HAS to be one of the toughest school districts in which to be a school bus driver, township DPW worker, or superintendent because I know from experience that driving near Moosic Lakes, Jefferson Heights, and other very highly-elevated locations within the district is NOT a cake-walk with a small car during a snow storm! Pittston Area closes quite frequently because of both the mountainous terrain in the eastern parts of Pittston Twp. (rapidly-growing Suscon can rise up to about 2,000 feet above sea level), as well as the fact that hilly Pittston City does such an awful job with street clearing because the city's financial situation is even worse than Scranton's! Scranton is the only local school district that I know with 1.5-hour delays instead of 2-hour delays. That's always puzzled me.

What does everyone think of delaying classes due to wind chills? I personally think it's a colossal WASTE. I just returned home from hours of last-minute Christmas shopping, and I had a mere five-minute walk between my parking lot in Downtown Wilkes-Barre to Barnes & Noble. As I faced the wind coming up from the river along Market Street near the Sterling my face felt as if it was going to freeze in place, and the bank thermometer across the street read 12 degrees. Is delaying classes two hours so that kids will have to stand at the bus stop with wind chills of -10 instead of -15 really worth it?

If my children attended Scranton I would have much preferred them to have had school today because as someone else said due to the snow day on Friday a lot of the younger kids missed out on their Christmas parties with their friends and teachers. They probably weren't going to do anything on Friday anyways (why teach students new material that they're going to forget while being away for two weeks?) so what harm could have been done sending them in today? We have relatively brief summers around here. Why not let kids be kids and ENJOY IT?! I used to love riding my bike, running around, and doing all sorts of stuff during summer break, and my family would take an annual week-long vacation to either New England or Ocean City, MD. What are the kids going to do on their day off today? Sit on their dupas watching television or playing Rock Band on their PS3?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 11:24 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Scranton planned strike days not snow days....Ithink we only get one or two snow days a year but this year they had to worry about the strike first.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:20 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times
The two week break was more likely planned long before thoughts of a strike, and was simply a result of the calendar. If Christmas and New Years fell on a Monday or Tuesday rather than on a Wednesday or Thursday, you're looking at a much shorter break with classes resuming probably January 2. Even next year, with Christmas and New Years on Fridays, you're probably looking at classes on the Monday and Tuesday, possibly the Wednesday, before Christmas.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:33 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Scranton school district scheduled these extra days in case of a strike:
Calendar, economy give city kids extra-long vacation | News | thetimes-tribune.com - The Times-Tribune (http://thetimes-tribune.com/articles/2008/12/19/news/sc_times_trib.20081219.a.pg3.tt19vacation_s1.21659 39_top7.txt - broken link)

Old 12-22-2008, 12:57 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times
So they would have gotten the days off this week even if there had never been the threat of a strike. They were built into the schedule where they were when they were simply because of the way the holidays fell. The threat of a strike really didn't come into play here at all.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
So they would have gotten the days off this week even if there had never been the threat of a strike. They were built into the schedule where they were when they were simply because of the way the holidays fell. The threat of a strike really didn't come into play here at all.
They knew the possibility of a strike when they made this calendar. It was known for a while that the contract was up and that the teacher's high health care costs would be an issue. From the article:

In Scranton, the Monday and Tuesday before Christmas had been designated as makeup days, if there had been snow days or if teachers had gone on strike before getting their contract.

With no days needed to be made up, that means Scranton students have the longest winter break in recent history.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:55 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
What does everyone think of delaying classes due to wind chills?
Ridiculous. Put on extra winter clothes, a good scarf, hat and gloves, and SUCK IT UP. When I first heard that they cancel or delay school around here because "it's too cold" I about fell off my chair. GMAB!!

Old 12-23-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
Ridiculous. Put on extra winter clothes, a good scarf, hat and gloves, and SUCK IT UP. When I first heard that they cancel or delay school around here because "it's too cold" I about fell off my chair. GMAB!!
I always find my self saying that as well...."we never had delays or cancellations due to cold.." To my kids, I probably sound like my grandparents when they would say they walked uphill to school (both ways) in a blizzard, barefoot....

Old 12-23-2008, 07:15 AM

537 posts, read 1,332,357 times
Default When I was......

I grew up in Riverside and walked across the Susquehanna River to Danville, to attend school. No school bus for us! They were for the kids that lived outside of town. The gale force winter wind that rushed upriver was enough to get us running the length of the bridge.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:49 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
GMAB!!
Give me a break? Wow! I'm learning these acronyms quickly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania