Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 06:54 PM

287 posts, read 549,210 times

Advertisements

I'm still living in VA (no, it doesn't excite me a bit) but I am going to be visiting my boyfriend for Valentine's Day weekend. He lives in the area (with roommates). We are both pretty limited financially right now. But I am trying to figure out something nice to do, whether there are any decent, but not extremely costly hotels in the area (willing to travel somewhere outside of Scranton, also). It will be our first Valentine's Day together in years (we were high school sweethearts) and our first time seeing each other in awhile so I'd like for this to be a pretty special Valentine's Day if we can make it one. Anyway, just asking for some ideas!

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 08:57 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I don't live there yet but I just got back from NEPA and we stayed at The Woodlands. It was very nice! Moderately priced with an indoor pool and a really large Jacuzzi. There are spa amenities available such as salon treatments - hair nails etc,massage, reflexology, facials etc.

My teen aged son is a photographer and enjoyed taking pictures of the on site water fall and woods.
Request a room on the right side (not the tower) where there is a balcony and very nice views.

Have a good time!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:06 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Unfortunately my top two recommendations are likely going to be cost-prohibitive. My top choice would have been the Scranton Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel, which includes fine dining at Carmen's Restaurant and some gorgeous architecture. My second choice would have been Sheena's recommendation of The Woodlands. Both are very $$$, if you catch my drift though.

I can still recall bringing a date down to the gorge at Nay Aug Park to see the waterfall. I'm not a prude by any stretch of the imagination, but I must admit I was shocked that we were so moved by how attractive the site was that we embraced and kissed rather passionately (ensuring first that nobody else was around, of course!) LOL!

It might be nice also to take a drive out to Grotto Pizza at Harvey's Lake for a bite to eat on the waterfront and then take a relaxing drive around the lake that is surrounded by a blend of cute cottages and ostentatious McMansions on one side and a gorgeous body of water on the other.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:29 PM

287 posts, read 549,210 times
I just checked availability at The Woodlands and it's all booked up I did however mention a few days ago that I wanted to see Nay Aug Park, since I had seen pictures of it a few weeks ago on this site, and he said that's one thing we will be doing that weekend, since he knows how much I would love it. I looked up Grotto Pizza and the prices seem pretty reasonable, so that sounds like a definite possibility.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:43 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathernichole View Post
I just checked availability at The Woodlands and it's all booked up I did however mention a few days ago that I wanted to see Nay Aug Park, since I had seen pictures of it a few weeks ago on this site, and he said that's one thing we will be doing that weekend, since he knows how much I would love it. I looked up Grotto Pizza and the prices seem pretty reasonable, so that sounds like a definite possibility.
In lieu of Grotto you might want to check out the Castle Inn as well, which is just outside of Harvey's Lake in Dallas. The atmosphere there is great. Also see what the NEPA Philharmonic is up to on that evening.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:04 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathernichole View Post
I'm still living in VA (no, it doesn't excite me a bit) but I am going to be visiting my boyfriend for Valentine's Day weekend. He lives in the area (with roommates). We are both pretty limited financially right now. But I am trying to figure out something nice to do, whether there are any decent, but not extremely costly hotels in the area (willing to travel somewhere outside of Scranton, also). It will be our first Valentine's Day together in years (we were high school sweethearts) and our first time seeing each other in awhile so I'd like for this to be a pretty special Valentine's Day if we can make it one. Anyway, just asking for some ideas!

Thanks in advance
you could always stop by the Clarks summit festival of Ice if you are in the area...it's free...Ice sculpting...here's the site...it's weekend of Feb. 14th.

Clarks Summit Festival of Ice

Old 01-04-2009, 02:09 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
The Radisson in Scranton will most likely be booked as well, pretty popular place on V-day....Try the Hilton in Scranton or the Clarion.....

Old 01-04-2009, 02:33 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
The Clarks Summit festival of Ice does sound cool, I'll have to check it out. Thanks John.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:47 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,124 times
Why not just take a short drive to the Pocono's. They specialize in romantic getaways, and offer a much broader range of romantic, Valentine's day type stuff then you'll find in Scranton. Try looking up Cove Haven on the computer, or Ceasar's Pocono.Try this www.ceasarspoconoresort.com. Good Luck! Othewise The Woodlands, or Radisson like others have suggested, but they will probably be sold out. Also, the Mohegan Sun at Pocono Downs would be a good option, even if you do not gamble, they have a plethora of dinning and shopping options like The Rustic Kitchen and Ruth's Chris Steak House, and how about a local Bed and Breakfast. That would be pretty romantic I'd imagine?

Last edited by W-B proud; 01-04-2009 at 02:57 PM..

Old 01-04-2009, 04:57 PM

996 posts, read 3,279,220 times
The Settler's Inn in Hawley might be nice. Here's a link to their website: Pocono Mountains PA Bed and Breakfast Lodge, The Settlers Inn B&B in Pennsylvania
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania