Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,276,380 times

Advertisements

Who needs "The Office" when we have Luzerne County? Honestly, you can not write this stuff, and unfortunately, it's all real! we should get a "Court TV" movie out of all of this at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
It would make for a good reality TV show. I'm not sure if it would belong on Court TV or Comedy Central.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:25 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,520 times
And there are more who are going down soon, from what i have heard.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
So far...

Sharkey? Bit the dust.
Ciavarella? Bit the dust.
Conahan? Bit the dust.

People who may fall hard very soon...

Mericle.
Powell.
Moran.
Martinelli (due to an unrelated DUI charge that has sparked massive outrage)
Others who I won't divulge just yet.

People who may be wrongly implicated...

Skrepenak (believe it or not)

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 02-04-2009 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 02-04-2009, 08:53 PM

421 posts, read 2,534,597 times
What is it with this luzerne county? Why are people trying to deceive others in this county? I've lived in philly and many other places but for some reason it seems to be worse here. What's making these people do these bad things? You almost have to sit back and ask yourself, why in the world would you try to deceive the county government?

Old 02-04-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
What is it with this luzerne county? Why are people trying to deceive others in this county? I've lived in philly and many other places but for some reason it seems to be worse here. What's making these people do these bad things? You almost have to sit back and ask yourself, why in the world would you try to deceive the county government?
Many (not all) people in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre tend to have an "entitlement" mentality to them. Their forefathers were abused and forced to work in sub-standard conditions in the mines, and as such many (not all) have this feeling of "we were slighted in the past, so now this is OWED to us." My family has worked very, very diligently to get to where we are today, but we're the exception, not the rule. I can rattle off many, many others who see others more financially successful than they are and instead of feeling happy for them or at least turning the other cheek, they'll get spiteful. A college professor of mine said that he noticed he received more honked horns when he drove his Mercedes-Benz than when he drove his Mitsubishi, even if he made similar offenses. I wouldn't doubt that.

You can even see it on this forum. Many of Mayor Doherty's supporters are white-collar whereas many of his detractors are blue-collar. I'm a soon-to-be white-collar who is NOT a supporter of his fiscally-irresponsible policies (that's the inner-CPA in me), but once again I'm the exception. Many of the blue-collars feel "threatened" when they see yuppies moving into the Electric City and opening up coffee houses, art galleries, lofts, etc. because "if I can't afford these things then why should ANYONE?" The prevailing attitude amongst many customers I banter with at work is along the lines of "Why should they have nice things if I can't?" instead of most other areas of the country where a stronger sense of self-reliance comes into play. Many here rely upon the GOVERNMENT to solve their problems (i.e. why so many in Scranton think their city is doomed until the politicians do something) whereas in the more socially progressive areas people have a more entrepreneurial spirit and an optimistic "can do" aura enveloping them.

I never saw an area where so many people would push others under a bus if it meant that they could further their OWN agendas. Teachers' strikes are another prime example of this. Dozens will sit and take pot shots at teachers for being lazy, overpaid, greedy, under worked, etc., yet when you ask one of these detractors why THEY didn't go to college to become a teacher if they thought the job was so "cushy" they just become irate because they've been trapped into a corner that they can't wiggle out of (at least many locals are easy to overpower in a debate!)

The attitude amongst many in NEPA isn't "How can I better myself?" Rather, it's "How can I drag others down so that I don't look so badly?" It totally baffles me.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:48 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,585,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post

People who may fall hard very soon...

Mericle.
Powell.
Moran.
Martinelli (due to an unrelated DUI charge that has sparked massive outrage)
Others who I won't divulge just yet.
If I didn't live here, I'd be more amused (maybe)...it's like a freakin' soap opera!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
If I didn't live here, I'd be more amused (maybe)...it's like a freakin' soap opera!
Just wait until all of these class-action civil law suits against Luzerne County get underway. We're in for one hell of a MASSIVE tax increase if our elected officials were not wise enough in the past to have ensured that we had substantial legal liability insurance (which I'm sure they didn't, given their track record).

Old 02-05-2009, 05:16 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,099,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You can even see it on this forum. Many of Mayor Doherty's supporters are white-collar whereas many of his detractors are blue-collar. I'm a soon-to-be white-collar who is NOT a supporter of his fiscally-irresponsible policies (that's the inner-CPA in me), but once again I'm the exception. Many of the blue-collars feel "threatened" when they see yuppies moving into the Electric City and opening up coffee houses, art galleries, lofts, etc. because "if I can't afford these things then why should ANYONE?"
How do you want me to handle this one?

Threatened? Please tell me which yuppies have moved into the city, to open anything, that were not already from this area and ran back here to do what they couldn't get done elsewhere. They are also unable to open these businesses without our taxpayer welfare and koz's.

These so called newly opened places are where? White Collar....Blue Collar seriously Paul you no closer to being a white collar worker today then you were last week so please save it.

There you are again making judgements on people and their life situations and what they can and cannot afford while you convienently are STILL living at home.

What basis do you use to judge people's wealth? You seem to be hung up on the money and life status issues and leads me to believe that maybe you have some of that jealously you speak so fondly of.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:31 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,660,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
How do you want me to handle this one?

Threatened? Please tell me which yuppies have moved into the city, to open anything, that were not already from this area and ran back here to do what they couldn't get done elsewhere. They are also unable to open these businesses without our taxpayer welfare and koz's.

These so called newly opened places are where? White Collar....Blue Collar seriously Paul you no closer to being a white collar worker today then you were last week so please save it.

There you are again making judgements on people and their life situations and what they can and cannot afford while you convienently are STILL living at home.

What basis do you use to judge people's wealth? You seem to be hung up on the money and life status issues and leads me to believe that maybe you have some of that jealously you speak so fondly of.
Yes, the judgments are getting old. Paul does seem to have a hang up on money and people's life status issues. How does he know our attitude is "drag others down and isn't how can I better myself? He has no basis in fact that that is the truth. The government does have to provide some basic services and should be held accountable when they screw up royally, like the political machine here in Scranton. I mean, if they can't do something to help the city instead of hurt it, why bother having elected officials at all? And why should there be lofts, art galleries and coffee houses when we don't have the people or economy to support these white elephants of a business. They're doomed from the start, not from what any of us have to say about it, the taxes here in Scranton kill a business like that and it's gone in 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania