Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:26 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Sounds like a disease. One that makes you itchy in the wrong places!
So do half the towns in New Jersey.

Passaic
Hackensack
Ho-Ho-Kus
Buttzville
Paramus
Hopatcong
Netcong
Piscataway

YUCK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 01:48 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Buttzville
Buttzville will always hold a special place in my heart! The home of Hot Dog Johnny's.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:56 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Your all too funny............
I think NoName4U is a good name for Scranbarre when he moves south......
He might be able to speak with the head of the clan on that........
But for awhile there he was changing names with his moods......... Ah, what would do without him?
So off he will go in this recession/depression........Off to make some good solid $$$.
I just read an article how this is a little "d" rather then the big " D" of recession........I have to go look that up.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
So off he will go in this recession/depression........Off to make some good solid $$$.
To be fair $41,000 in Washington, DC is practically impoverished! I'm going to be learning to like Ramen noodles and clipping coupons a LOT! LOL! As long as I have my own 1-bedroom place and my own minuscule cubicle at work, I'm a happy camper!

Old 03-09-2009, 02:25 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times
Quote:
To be fair $41,000 in Washington, DC is practically impoverished! I'm going to be learning to like Ramen noodles and clipping coupons a LOT! LOL! As long as I have my own 1-bedroom place and my own minuscule cubicle at work, I'm a happy camper!
Have you checked out rents in your new area Paul??

I would think a 1-bedroom would run around $700.00 a month=$8000.00 a year. Utilities around $2000.00 a year. Car payment/insurance around $6000.00 a year.

That would leave about $25,000.00 a year for your school bills, food, cell phone, etc.

How far off am I???

Old 03-09-2009, 02:34 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Buttzville will always hold a special place in my heart! The home of Hot Dog Johnny's.
Down here there's a septic service called "C. R. Butts"....

I don't know if that was done on purpose, or if they have no clue...

Old 03-09-2009, 03:14 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
Quote:
To get you started, here's some ramen noodle recipes:

Dirt Cheap Ramen Noodle Recipes (http://www.budget101.com/ramen_noodle_recipes.htm - broken link)

Ramen recipes - We love ramen noodles!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Have you checked out rents in your new area Paul??

I would think a 1-bedroom would run around $700.00 a month=$8000.00 a year. Utilities around $2000.00 a year. Car payment/insurance around $6000.00 a year.

That would leave about $25,000.00 a year for your school bills, food, cell phone, etc.

How far off am I???
Very far off, George! The BEST deal I found on a 1-bedroom apartment was one in an upscale complex built by Toll Brothers for a rock bottom price of $1,050/month (excluding utilities). Let's not forget that $41,000 GROSS would probably be closer to $30,000 net when you factor in Medicare, Social Security, taxes, insurance, etc. I probably wouldn't bother with a 401(k) contribution of any sort for a couple of years when I wasn't in need of every penny I earned to get by.

Here's my rough budget:

GROSS SALARY: $41,000
SOCIAL SECURITY TAX : ($2,555)
MEDICARE: ($597)
FEDERAL INCOME TAX: ($6,646)
STATE/LOCAL TAXES: (I have to research this)
AETNA HEALTH INSURANCE: ($1,056)
NET INCOME: $30,356

BUDGET: ($30,356/12) = $2,530/month
RENT: ($1,050/month) (Assuming aforementioned rental)
UTILITIES: ($200/month) (Rough estimate)

Those housing costs alone (not even factoring in parking fees/amenity fees for the complex) total $1,250/month, bringing me down to $1,280/month to play with. From this I'll assume spending $100/week on food (groceries, dining out once per week), which is another $400/month. That brings me down to $880/month. My car is fully paid off, and I'll probably drive it until its demise to save cash, but I'll still have insurance. I'll assume a fee of $90/month if I switch to Geico and take advantage of a Federal employee discount. That takes me down to $790/month. I don't plan to drive much besides going to and from work, so I'll budget $20/week for gas for $80/month. That brings me down to $710/month. Then we have spending for "personal items" for around the house (toothpaste, toilet paper, razor blades, deodorant, paper towels, etc.) I'll budget $100/month for those, bringing me down to $610/month.

Unless I've forgotten anything else of major importance I'll have $610/month of "wiggle room" for any sort of unexpected expenses/emergencies (25% co-pays for dentist/doctor, oil changes for my car, voluntary donations to charity, the weekly church offering, etc.) If I'm thrifty with that and hoard ALL of it, that's potentially $7,320 I can save in one year. Naturally that will also be before I deduct those aforementioned state/local taxes AND student loan payments.

Many on this forum say I have no clue what the "real world" is like, but that's not the case. I'm sure besides what I've listed I've forgotten NUMEROUS expenses that I'll add into my budget as I think of them. Regardless though I should be able to "swing" it. Even if I'm thrifty for the first few years, once I move up from GS-7 in 2009 to GS-8 in 2010 to GS-9 in 2011 AND have my MBA and CPA under my belt it should all pay off in the long run! I may just work myself to the bone down there for ten years, save EVERYTHING I can, and then seek employment with the IRS in Scranton, using my massive savings to outright buy a new house with no mortgage (assuming the massive influx of New Yorkers hasn't driven housing prices through the roof by then!)

Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
Congrats again Paul...now as far as your budget....I think you can spend a lot less than $100. for food in a week. I spend about $150. a week for a family of 4 and pack lunches and some breakfasts for everyone too. You don't need a phone if you have cell phone service. Those personal itmes would never amount to $100. a month for one person.
You're in for an adventure....I'm so happy for you.
I think you will do quite well financially. To be able to save anything in this market is a plus. If you can save and find yourself saving...then I would kick in that 401K for the minimum contribultion as it's a great time to be investing in the market. (I HOPE!!!!!!)
As far as the rent......
When my hubbie and I bought our first house, which was an absolute DUMP..we paid $1050. for our mortgage and we grossed together $36,000. (Back in the olde days!) We also had the added expense of 2 adults not one, 2 cars, 2 car insurance payments and a lots of home improvements. We made it ....somehow.....

Old 03-10-2009, 07:01 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
I'd say your budget is high for groceries if you're budgeting only for yourself, but a little low on utilities, unless you don't plan on having cable, phone, or internet. Although, you will find that groceries will cost quite a bit more down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania