Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 04:01 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times

Advertisements

I have lost so many shrubs and plants its horrible.......
Too many deer resistant do not fit that bill. They will eat it if they are hungry.
Forsythia they don't touch though.......some rhododendrom make it, some tall grasses.
They leave the pine trees alone, some of the scrub pines, spreading yews....Bayberry....
Fencing does not help, they will jump it. I thought I did well putting up fence and the next day....
one was in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 09:27 PM

149 posts, read 636,171 times
When food is scarce, those hooved woodland rats will eat just about anything. I never had them eat any hollies until this year. They love Hydrangea & arborvitaes. The state also puts out a pamphlet on deer resistant plant check out the DCNR site for that info.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:56 AM

366 posts, read 1,036,122 times
Hi Summering,

I know what you mean about jumping the fences. My father-in-law has had that happen. It is amazing what tight spaces those deer can get themselves into if they are hungry enough! What about plox? I'm thinking of a nice rock garden with some plox for alittle color.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 AM

22 posts, read 93,169 times
Two words. Liquid Fence. I swear by the stuff. Lived in the Poconos for 6+ years where the deer would knock on my front door every morning. I couldn't find one thing they wouldn't eat that I wanted to plant. Heard about Liquid Fence at Werkheiser in Tannersville and was able to plant and enjoy honeysuckle, begonias, petunias, tomatoes, raspberries, roses, lilies, etc. I had no more rabbit, deer, fox, cat, possum problems. As a matter of fact, I have a beautiful garden with lettuce in it growing right now. I spray the plants with Liquid Fence and not one animal bothers them. I like it because it is all natural, easy to use and inexpensive. Fences, red pepper, hair, soap....none of that worked. Moved from PA two years ago and luckily enough I was able to purchase it online. My neighbors cannot get over the fact I can have a vegetable garden and not one animal gobbles it up.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:00 PM

12 posts, read 26,871 times
Anybody uses this service?
http://deertechusa.com/index.htm
One of my friends got it with his house from old owners. They paid for 2 years and he got it for free. He says - it works!!! He has a lot plants and NO problems with deers at all.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:02 PM

307 posts, read 768,213 times
Thats right gypsie, that is what I was talking about. But I think I could only use it on flowers and shrubs- it stinks soooo bad!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:02 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
The liquid fence does work and it does stink to high heaven. After leaving our rhododendron alone for a couple of years they ate it down to the ground. They were working on the holly until we fenced it. A good bet is to go with things that lose their leaves in the winter because they will eat anything during that time. My lilac has survived. Burning Bushes are also great. They're hardy and grow quickly so even if they nibble them they don't destroy them. I spray both with the liquid fence when we leave on the weekend. The holly I had to fence this year for the winter. Boxwood also does well. They also won't eat daffodils if you want to do bulbs - that's the one thing I have that's turned out to be true!

Old 04-28-2009, 05:42 PM

307 posts, read 768,213 times
Also some people swear by lining the whole garen with marigolds and mums- but I have never tried it and I would think the deer would just step on or over the marigolds to get to the plants.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:48 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsiechavi View Post
Two words. Liquid Fence. I swear by the stuff. Lived in the Poconos for 6+ years where the deer would knock on my front door every morning. I couldn't find one thing they wouldn't eat that I wanted to plant. Heard about Liquid Fence at Werkheiser in Tannersville and was able to plant and enjoy honeysuckle, begonias, petunias, tomatoes, raspberries, roses, lilies, etc. I had no more rabbit, deer, fox, cat, possum problems. As a matter of fact, I have a beautiful garden with lettuce in it growing right now. I spray the plants with Liquid Fence and not one animal bothers them. I like it because it is all natural, easy to use and inexpensive. Fences, red pepper, hair, soap....none of that worked. Moved from PA two years ago and luckily enough I was able to purchase it online. My neighbors cannot get over the fact I can have a vegetable garden and not one animal gobbles it up.
I have used liquid fence on my trees and shrubs and it worked very well. I would be very hesitant to use it on vegetables and edible things. If I ever another veggie garden I would use of fence or keep the stuff on the deck.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:20 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Its just hard to use the liquid fence is you take a bunch of vacations or head away in the winter.
I came home one winter to my two front trees totally eaten..........They were ones that were "deer safe" I wasn't home to spray them. Plus, the one deer was so friendly.......If she was that hungry, then I hope those two trees sustained her. Seems they did.
I put up a fence and my neighbor laughed.......Oh yes, all around my flowers out by the big boulder.....Then I saw why he would laugh. The next morning a deer was in that area chomping down.
Our daughter saw a deer get fatalily hurt by trying to get over one of the fences with those spikes on the top.......She lived in an area of few deer too. Using that type of fencing would be too risky for me.......I couldn't stand to see something like that happen.
In Penn Estates I had to keep all my plants in containers on the deck.
Even putting them on the steps didn't work. That just made it easier for the deer to get at.
A good flower to grow is the day lily........Have you seen the wild orange day lilies on the sides of roads, they don't touch them. There is also a shrub with the little white bell flowers on them......
They don't go near those either ( forgetting the name)......
Right now I have just about no deer problem, but a huge bunny problem. They have loved many of the flowers I have planted............One day in full bloom, next day...........gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania