Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 07:24 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times

Advertisements

Please take caution diving off boats in the lake without a life vest. Lake water takes you down pretty deep and the water gets very cold. For some, it can cause shock to the heart, cause a heart attack and then drown. It is better to be safe than sorry. Even the best swimmers can drown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 07:49 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,903 times
Is that what happened yesterday? I saw the Search & Rescue car by the lake and a WBRE news car - then saw the clip on WNEP.com last night that there was a possible drowning.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
Is that what happened yesterday? I saw the Search & Rescue car by the lake and a WBRE news car - then saw the clip on WNEP.com last night that there was a possible drowning.

Yes, I advocate on my boat, anyone in the lake must have a vest on. The water temps are too cool and so much can happen. They brought divers in from the various FD's and the state police. Very sad, but you can not be careful enough in any water.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:41 AM

203 posts, read 577,451 times
It's terrible that someone else has drowned up there already this summer. I can't remember the last time I heard of someone drowning in the "Paupack" & now there's been two in less than a month.

We always insist that anyone that goes in the water with us wear a vest. There are too many unknowns in the water. My husband is a strong swimmer & he wouldn't even think of going in without a vest.
I'm also upset to see people really "partying" it up on the lake. You have to treat the boat like a car & not be plastered out on the water.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatsonWest View Post
It's terrible that someone else has drowned up there already this summer. I can't remember the last time I heard of someone drowning in the "Paupack" & now there's been two in less than a month.

We always insist that anyone that goes in the water with us wear a vest. There are too many unknowns in the water. My husband is a strong swimmer & he wouldn't even think of going in without a vest.
I'm also upset to see people really "partying" it up on the lake. You have to treat the boat like a car & not be plastered out on the water.
Hi Watson,
It is great to get input from other boaters here. Yes, absolutely there are way too many unknowns. I am quite annoyed at the heavy partiers on the lake myself. Alcohol, sun, boating do not mix. The same rules apply if the operator/captain gets caught just as one would driving a car. Most importantly it certainly jeopardizes the safety of the rest of the boaters who are doing the right thing.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:53 AM

I believe yesterday's incident involved no alcohol but the temperature of the water was a factor. Please be safe, what a horrible tragedy. I highly recommend that all boaters take the certfication course. You can do it online. God bless the family!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:27 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
You realize that the partying has been going on for years, decades even and if you think its bad now then you should been out there 20 years ago when there were really no laws or people watching. I have seen keg parties on the island closiest to Ledgedale

The Paupac is a nightmare and we stopped taking our boat on that lake about 10 years ago. I only go out on others boats when I go because I will not take my boat out there.

If anyone thinks that its going to get any better then you should spend a day or two on Barnegate Bay in NJ or Jamaica Bay in Queens. Whether you like it or not the mentality from NJ and NY about boating and partying is growing and the lake will become far more dangerous then it is now unless they lock it down and slam people with huge fines.

Basically it is already a small version of Lake Hopatcong and will continue to degrade.

There is no need for high power go fast boats on that lake and the majority of them are owned by transplants.

The State Police need to have water patrols on that lake just they do on Hopatcong to specifically go after the party boats.

Drownings happen, but wait until someone gets killed in a boating accident at a high rate of speed.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
You realize that the partying has been going on for years, decades even and if you think its bad now then you should been out there 20 years ago when there were really no laws or people watching. I have seen keg parties on the island closiest to Ledgedale

The Paupac is a nightmare and we stopped taking our boat on that lake about 10 years ago. I only go out on others boats when I go because I will not take my boat out there.

If anyone thinks that its going to get any better then you should spend a day or two on Barnegate Bay in NJ or Jamaica Bay in Queens. Whether you like it or not the mentality from NJ and NY about boating and partying is growing and the lake will become far more dangerous then it is now unless they lock it down and slam people with huge fines.

Hat
Basically it is already a small version of Lake Hopatcong and will continue to degrade.

There is no need for high power go fast boats on that lake and the majority of them are owned by transplants.

The State Police need to have water patrols on that lake just they do on Hopatcong to specifically go after the party boats.

Drownings happen, but wait until someone gets killed in a boating accident at a high rate of speed.
Wel,
You seem to be experienced with boating, water so maybe you can explain this to me and the members. I see many people, mostly out of town that never operated a boat. Why is it that they are allowed to watch a 5 minute video and then command a boat? I know these marinas are making plenty of money on the rentals, but they have no business in the lake having a boat under their direct control. I would like your viewpoint on this.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post

The power boats with the loud motors are big problems. I think they call them cigarette boats. I believe there is no speed limit on the lake. A couple of years ago when they were draining the lake for inspection, a power boat going at a high rate of speed hit a church steeple in the flooded Wilsonville, and cracked the boat in half. Maybe if there were more law enforcement on the lake it would be more of a deterrent. That is why the Hat loves the lake during the week.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:26 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
PA only requires a boating safety certificates and the requirements for that are a joke.

Quote:
Boating Safety Education Certificates are required:
To operate a personal watercraft
For persons born on or after January 1, 1982, to operate boats powered by motors greater than 25 horsepower
I used to be a yacht broker in Pt. Pleasant NJ and I would have people come in a drop a 100k on a boat with ZERO experience only to end up wrecking the boat by the end of the season.

It comes down to $$$$$$....The state makes a lot of money from boating and if they really clamp down and start to force the issue of a boating license then they will or might hurt that income source.

Personally I think that nobody should be allowed to buy a boat or run a boat with more then 25hp motor without a license and operators insurance.

As long as the state allows the lunatics to run all over that lake it will continue to get worse.

The Go-Fast(cigarette) boats are a joke on that lake. The lake is what 8 miles long if that and you have a boat that is capable of 100 mph on there for what? It comes down to who has the biggest, bad ass boatt on the lake is the one with the biggest **** menatlity and that comes straight out of NY and NJ.

Personally I would love to see them limit the length, horsepower of all boats on the lake and force the issue of a PA boating license with a practical on the water exam.

Too bad if you can't pass it. We have them for motorcycles and cars so why not boats?

I'm good for life in PA because I have a USCG license and could care less if some idiot from out of state can't run his stupid boat on the lakes around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania