Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:07 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times

Advertisements

We went to a birthday party that brought me back to my childhood. It is so good to see parents that do not go overboard for birthday parties. It was very simple and nice. The kids had a great time and the parents and friends really enjoyed themselves.

We did not need a hired clown, a magician, etc. We saw kids today use their imagination and play.

With the way things have gotten with out doing things the followiing year it is good to see the old fashion way of doing things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 05:30 AM

910 posts, read 2,993,178 times
That's how our parties always are, standard issue backyard bbq! We do have a few friends around here that definitely go WAY overboard. I think no matter where you live you will always find people like that. Those are the kids we are trying to not hang out with as they get older, because they are becoming spoiled brats

Old 07-20-2009, 05:50 AM

366 posts, read 1,036,696 times
I can't wait to get out of New York for this reason. I grew up with old-fashioned house parties and they were great. When my husband and I started raising our kids around here, the parents are having these crazy parties that are completely overboard. The Sweet 16s and bar/bat mitzvahs around here are bigger than weddings!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:01 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
We are the same. When the kids were younger we always had house parties and enjoyed them so much. One time my 2year old was found in the back seat of our car with another 2 year old!!! They were just chatting but it was so sweet.

We need to go back to the old fashioned times.

d

Old 07-20-2009, 10:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
We have our kids' bday parties at home. I HATE Chuck E Cheese and I HATE going to parties there.

We have cake, a pinata (cuz hey, kids love to hit things .... LOL), SMALL gifts from friends/family and that's it.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:04 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
Parents are so busy buying their kids material things and expensive parties. The best thing you can do is spent time with your kids.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:43 PM

372 posts, read 1,228,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMAMA4 View Post
The Sweet 16s and bar/bat mitzvahs around here are bigger than weddings!
I know this all too well, as my daughter is turning 16 in less than a month. She's been invited to quite a few, and several have been semi-formal events! For turning 16? Wasn't like that for me...

We're planning hers now and, thankfully, she wants none of the dress-up to-do's. A backyard party with her friends, homemade food and cake. Volleyball, badmitton and our trampoline. The only indulgence she is asking for is one of those big inflatable things you can rent, but this one has water, like a mammoth slip-n-slide. Looked like way too much fun, so that's a go. (Plus her brother and sister will LOVE it, so there may be peace in the valley!)

Hopefully, in these economic times, we go back to finding the joy in the simple things, like family, friends, cake and ice cream. And another memory to keep!

Old 07-20-2009, 06:43 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
We have our kids' bday parties at home. I HATE Chuck E Cheese and I HATE going to parties there.

We have cake, a pinata (cuz hey, kids love to hit things .... LOL), SMALL gifts from friends/family and that's it.

Chuck E Cheese is so cold and impersonal, it's like an assembly line of parties. I hate it there too. Cake, pinata, pizza, friends and family is all a kid needs when they're young, they get to much, what is going to excite them as they get older? That's how i see it.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:54 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Chuck E Cheese is so cold and impersonal, it's like an assembly line of parties. I hate it there too. Cake, pinata, pizza, friends and family is all a kid needs when they're young, they get to much, what is going to excite them as they get older? That's how i see it.
I agree. Small gathering, simple gifts. You'd be surprised to see how busy Chuck E Cheese gets on a weekend with birthday parties. It gets crazy sometimes. I guess some parents have no imagination and rather pay to go to Chuck E, than have a nice, simple party with family and friends at home.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:14 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,903 times
When my kids were little we just invited a bunch of friends to the park and had balloons, lunch, and of course, ice cream and cake.

I'm not a party person though, I actually hate preparing for them, so I tell the kids -since they're older now- they can pick a friend and we'll go to the movies then out for ice cream.

I used to love parties, but now, I just would rather not have anything to do with them, unless it's as a guest, and I'll gladly help and bring stuff...just don't ask me to PLAN anything. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania