Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:22 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,554,237 times

Advertisements

In addition to what I posted already, it would be just another excuse for families to move here, spend 15 hours a day commuting and leave their kids alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 12:42 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
In addition to what I posted already, it would be just another excuse for families to move here, spend 15 hours a day commuting and leave their kids alone.

So? Now we have to not do things because some people may take advantage of them??

That is like saying we shouldn't have bars because alcoholics take advantage of them.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So? Now we have to not do things because some people may take advantage of them??

That is like saying we shouldn't have bars because alcoholics take advantage of them.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:53 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.

Didn't say you weren't. Merely pointing out a fatal flaw in your judgment.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:33 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
The point BlueDiamond was trying to make is this is what has happened to Poconos/APCP...parents both working in the city gone 12-15 hours per day leaving their children ( tweens and teens ) up to their own devices and it has lead to nothing but trouble.

One thing I learned from my eldest two children's peers is that tweens/ teenagers need as much supervision if not more than the younger children. The old saying the bigger the kids the bigger the problems is more true today than when it was first coined. So many of my childrens friends parents were absloutely clueless how and with whom they spent their time out of school...it was down right tragic!

Last edited by bloominscranton; 07-24-2009 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: add on

Old 07-24-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
The point BlueDiamond was trying to make is this is what has happened to Poconos/APCP...parents both working in the city gone 12-15 hours per day leaving their children ( tweens and teens ) up to their own devices and it has lead to nothing but trouble.

One thing I learned from my eldest two children's peers is that tweens/ teenagers need as much supervision if not more than the younger children. The old saying the bigger the kids the bigger the problems is more true today than when it was first coined. So many of my childrens friends parents were absloutely clueless how and with whom they spent their time out of school...it was down right tragic!

Exactly my point!

Old 07-24-2009, 03:00 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
You know I must admit that since leaving Scranton I, too, am now starting to settle into the "don't need a train" camp. Places like Leesburg, VA, Charles Town, WV, Frederick, MD, etc., all of which were once charming small-to-medium-sized towns, are now full-blown exurbs of Washington, DC. What has this brought with it? A couple of weeks ago an octogenarian couple was held hostage in their own home in Leesburg for hours after a bank robber came in through their open garage door in an attempt to "hide" from the cops after also roughing up several other neighbors. In the end the elderly woman made the captor a sandwich, and the criminal felt so badly that he eventually ended the standoff peacefully because he couldn't go through with doing that sort of harm to a nice elderly couple like that. What has this done to Frederick? I-270 between DC and Frederick is often bumper-to-bumper the ENTIRE STRETCH. People are now commuting from South Central Pennsylvania (Gettysburg/Hanover areas) into Metropolitan Washington as well.

What else has this brought? More gridlock (2nd-worst in the nation). Horrific urban sprawl (imagine a South Abington Township/Wilkes-Barre Township hybrid on steroids for mile after mile). Rising crme (as referenced above). More stress (you can just see the pained look on people's faces as they are in traffic jams on WEEKENDS trying to savor what little time off they get from their hectic jobs). Exorbitant housing values (the median home value in my Reston community alone is $450,000, and we're not the "rich" town!)

I once championed the train because I envisioned a flood of people like shoegal111, Sheena12, Magritte25, blip, etc. into the city proper of Scranton, breathing new life into it with renovated homes and new business ventures. Instead I now realize that the people who would inevitably move here from NYC/NJ would NOT want Scranton---they'd want South Abington Township, and they'd want to recreate that all over the place until NEPA had no open space left and looked just like the area these locusts came from, filled with Wal-Marts, tract-housing, gas stations, and traffic congestion. It's just not worth it. It would be wonderful to live in Scranton and hop on a train to get to NYC in two hours for a fun day-trip while playing around on your laptop, but realistically I envision the people moving here to all be mostly AVOIDING Scranton and instead turning places like Mt. Cobb into The Hamptons.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:34 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Ok, I don't know what that has to do with having train service or not. Apparently people don't take the bus into our fair area.
It would make the area more accessible to those types of people. The point is, a train is not going to impact the economy of NEPA that greatly. People here don't commute there and people living in the NY area certainly wouldn't commute up here for work because there is none. Then why the need for it? A few people here and there taking shopping trips into the city isn't enough to justify it's existence.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:48 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Can you three (four? ten?) PLEASE stop with the personal attacks and get back on-topic? This is a really good debate issue, as it not only signifies the disparity between those who are "for" or "against" mass transit but also those who are "pro"- or "anti"-transplant.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:50 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Can you three (four? ten?) PLEASE stop with the personal attacks and get back on-topic? This is a really good debate issue, as it not only signifies the disparity between those who are "for" or "against" mass transit but also those who are "pro"- or "anti"-transplant.
Paul, I don't believe we personally attacked her. We're just questioning her posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania