Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 09:44 PM
sci sci started this thread

90 posts, read 224,170 times

Advertisements

I have always bought existing houses but am considering buying land and build my own house. What do you need to look at when buying just land? What is required for a septic system? Cost estimates? Any way to estimate the taxes before I build?
Would like to build my own so it is what I want [or should I say my wife wants] and super energy efficent.
Would it make more economical sense to buy an existing house and do a major remodel to make it what I want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 02:24 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,515 times
Just be careful when thinking of building. We were going to build a modular. The home was $110,000. The price of the land was about $40,000. but the improvements were just as much as the price of the house $100,000. for well, septic, basement, driveway and whatever else is needed to build.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:33 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,048 times
[quote=sci;9952026]I have always bought existing houses but am considering buying land and build my own house. What do you need to look at when buying just land?

Some important issues to consider when buying land that will be used to build on....
1. Can it be tied into a community sewer system, and if not, will it pass a probe/perc test for an on lot septic system? When buying a piece of property, look at listings that say they are community sewer, or already have a current septic design.
2. Is there wetlands on the property? This is very important, and can only be determined with a wetland delineation and property survey. First a wetland scientist evaluates the property and marks the wetland boundaries, and then a property surveyor surveys the property, including those markings in their survey. This will show how much if any wetlands are on a piece of property, and if their existence allows for enough of a building envelope on which to put a home. Not always a concern when buying an acre or better...but if you are buying a lot in a lake community for example, the lots are 1/4 to 1/2 acre & near water...so the chances of having wetlands are much higher....but wetlands occur naturally all over the Pocono Mountains.

Caution: Building in a Wetland Can Be Hazardous to Your House - National Wildlife Magazine

What is required for a septic system? Cost estimates?

What is required? A septic design...how do you get it? Apply for a permit at your township...Your lot must pass a probe, then a perc test....which will determine what type of on lot system you would be approved for. That's why it's wise to look for properties that already have current septic designs...then there is no question that you can build. Buying a piece of land that hasn't been probed & perced is a guessing game, should always be on the seller, imo..

cost estimate on a septic system, depends on the size of the home. A design and system for a two bedroom home would be less expensive than that of a four bedroom home. The design could run $800-$2000, and the system itself, depending on the type of system you get approved for....could be an additional $12,000-$25,000.

hope that helps.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:33 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,112,364 times
Some things to consider:
1. Topography of the lot - steep slopes will limit the buildable area, township ordinances may place restrictions on altering the slopes.
2. Rock - will be costly if blasting is needed to dig the foundation/basement.
3. Easements - verify if there are easements on your lot for large power lines, pipelines, access to other properties, etc.
4. Utilities - If there is no electric running to the lot, find out how much it will cost to extend service to the lot.
5. Wetlands - will limit how much of the lot is buildable, township ordinances may also govern.
6. Septic issues, as other posters have mentioned. Sand mounds can be expensive.
7. What is surrounding the lot. There may be a tree line between you and the neighbor, but if your neighbor has cars up on blocks, appliances as lawn ornaments, etc., it won't be nice if the trees die. Also, your little lot could be next to a large parcel slated for major development. Check with the township for any proposals.
8. Zoning restrictions on outbuildings. This probably isn't a factor in the more rural areas, but some uppity townships restrict the placement of sheds, detached garages, etc. should you want to build one at some point.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:54 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
[quote=poconoproud;9963880]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sci View Post
I have always bought existing houses but am considering buying land and build my own house. What do you need to look at when buying just land?

Some important issues to consider when buying land that will be used to build on....
1. Can it be tied into a community sewer system, and if not, will it pass a probe/perc test for an on lot septic system? When buying a piece of property, look at listings that say they are community sewer, or already have a current septic design.

What is required for a septic system? Cost estimates?

What is required? A septic design...how do you get it? Apply for a permit at your township...Your lot must pass a probe, then a perc test....which will determine what type of on lot system you would be approved for. That's why it's wise to look for properties that already have current septic designs...then there is no question that you can build. Buying a piece of land that hasn't been probed & perced is a guessing game, should always be on the seller, imo..
I want to really emphasize this because it's likely the #1 issue with building in PA generally. Although PA often has less regulation than NY, septic systems are much more tightly regulated in PA vs. NY.

Also be aware that each township may have strange things in their subdivision and land development ordinances (SALDO) as well as zoning ordinances. Always check both. Sometimes you can be humble and go to planning commission and township supervisors meetings to request waivers from the SALDO. Variances from zoning ordinances are much harder to get so much weight is placed on local zoning officer discretion in interpretation. Again, be humble in talking to the zoning officer, it will get you far.

Another word of warning about SALDO waivers, you could go to the planning commission and get approval but then get shot down by the township supervisors. Planning commission approval is advisory only, often the supervisors will put folks they don't like on the PC to shut them up and will disregard their recommendations. So you need to suck up both to the PC and the township board. Especially in the more rural townships, either board is likely to bring up things that are totally not in the ordinance or even at variance with it. Go along to get along, if you can.

A teardown and rebuild is likely a better bet but again you need to be humble in approaching the township officials.

Municipal government in PA is very powerful. It rarely pays to fight "city hall" even if it has no light and heat in their building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania