Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 04:51 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
But HOA's are supposed to also protect you from Ma and Pa Kettle moving in next door. Some really nice homes don't sell because the neighbors have decided to turn their yard into a DIY Recycling Center for old appliances, tires, animal crates, bags of aluminum cans, old cars, etc.

I agree. There are some HOA's that do their job. However, you might be very surprised to know some HOA's that exist just on paper and let Ma and Pa Kettle do whatever they want. Yes, you are absoulutely right, some homes do not sell because of their surrounding neighbors. The HOA's are supposed to keep a tight reign on that but many of them do not get involved. If you know of a situation, you can call the township. I know that people do that when they have neighbors that keep their yards like junkyards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 06:15 AM

889 posts, read 2,573,417 times
I never get, or got, the attraction of gated communities in the Poconos and NE PA. I can see how people think it will keep out Ma and Pa Kettle from moving in next door. By the same token, it will also keep everyone else who moves in just the same as those who think it's a good idea, retirees and second home owners from another area (especially urban areas of NJ, NY and Long Island), ie., a very homogeneous mix. It also prevents you from having anything but a very limited commercial development in your community (maybe one convenience store and one restaurant), and you'll have to drive for anything and everything.

I think the direct opposite of a gated community are the towns on the north side of the river, across from Wilkes Barre and Scranton. All along there are retail businesses interspersed with homes. And you can walk to just about anything.

As with these areas, Ma and Pa Kettle don't move in to setup shop with a permanent flea market in their front yard unless the area is heading down.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:56 AM

67 posts, read 145,055 times
I dont really see the attraction of a gated community locally. My guess is that "gated community" sounds good and appealing. If you really look at it too, gated communities in NEPA are in areas that have had the largest influx of new residents too so im sure that these gated communities know what they're marketing. HOAs, are kind of different. In single family communities, i dont believe they make much sense at all. You pay for things taht you can, most likely, do yourself. In multi-family communities (assisted living, active adult, temporary corporate housing,etc) i think they make perfect sense. It's all a matter of personal preference though and i know a lot of people are willing to pay more for what they perceive to be more.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:17 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
I agree. There are some HOA's that do their job. However, you might be very surprised to know some HOA's that exist just on paper and let Ma and Pa Kettle do whatever they want. Yes, you are absoulutely right, some homes do not sell because of their surrounding neighbors. The HOA's are supposed to keep a tight reign on that but many of them do not get involved. If you know of a situation, you can call the township. I know that people do that when they have neighbors that keep their yards like junkyards.
Agreed - in that case the homeowners need to band together and demand that the HOA enforce its rules.

I was very saddened two years ago, when showing homes in a gated community in Pike Co.

It (the community) was probably lovely in its heyday back in the early 70's but now features a lake with a beach that looks like drug deals go down every twilight...broken glass, icky bathhouses w/ doors hanging open, rusty playground equipment... I won't mention the community by name in case they've cleaned it up since then and this is no longer the case, but it was the saddest thing.

My buyers were ready to make an offer on a cute house in that community - until we went to the beach. Granted there are two other beaches I think, but this one was closest to the house they were considering.

Calling the township - well the success of that depends too. Depends on who the offender is, who you are, who the supervisors are...lol

Old 08-03-2009, 06:40 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
Agreed - in that case the homeowners need to band together and demand that the HOA enforce its rules.

I was very saddened two years ago, when showing homes in a gated community in Pike Co.

It (the community) was probably lovely in its heyday back in the early 70's but now features a lake with a beach that looks like drug deals go down every twilight...broken glass, icky bathhouses w/ doors hanging open, rusty playground equipment... I won't mention the community by name in case they've cleaned it up since then and this is no longer the case, but it was the saddest thing.

My buyers were ready to make an offer on a cute house in that community - until we went to the beach. Granted there are two other beaches I think, but this one was closest to the house they were considering.

Calling the township - well the success of that depends too. Depends on who the offender is, who you are, who the supervisors are...lol

Good points. Financial reports of the HOA are very important. Audits should exist, but do not in some HOA's. Homeowners' should band together. In some communities they do in others they do not. It is just so important to talk to as many people as you can before you move. I suggest even business owners. Good point on the township, but HOA's work the same way to........depends on the offender, who you are etc.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:39 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,134 times
Yeah, hurray for the Good Ol Boys Club... sigh...

You'll have that anywhere...politics...gotta love 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania