Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:50 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,012,537 times

Advertisements

Steve - it's too late for this kid - my post #16 explains - I started this thread after seeing the story of this kid in the paper - he is the kid who stole my wallet and he's now in jail as an adult, 10 years later, for breaking and entering, theft, and assault...

Last edited by KarenRice; 08-11-2009 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: fixing a typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 02:58 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,691,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
First let me say, I am glad it was not your child involved. While it is nice to always believe in your child...I have learned that ALL kids make mistakes...I would do as I said in my previous post. Sometimes the I don't know response is just not an acceptable answer. As much as I love my children and think they are good people there were times when the older two were growing up I had to rely on the old adage"...if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, walks like a duck...IT IS A DUCK". It was hard...but common sense is common sense. While I am not saying the child in question stole it, they sure know who did and how the darn thing got in THEIR DRAWER!
Thats true........Let me just say a family member " was a duck" but.......he never confessed until ......Oh,maybe a decade later or more. He'd steal a lot of things, and often. But, " Oh, no not me mommy" he'd proclaim. She'd believe.....
So many years later he confessed to burying the extra left over money after treating all the gang to pizza.
To this day.........things disappear......So I'd nip that in the bud now.
Get the answer somehow,and follow through. For some reason the answers come out later in life. But, then its too late for a lesson to be learned.
Now I just read the post above this and thats exactly what I mean........continues.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:07 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,707,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
Loveinbloom

You said yestreday CONSIDER ME GONE?
So what? Loveinbloom has consistently been one of the better "regulars" on this forum. I, too, have said "farewell" in an angry huff on occasion during my 3+ years on this forum. Nobody is perfect.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:37 PM

127 posts, read 290,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
When I was I was about 5 yrs. old I nabbed a candy bar from the corner store...I was marched right back there and made to tell what I did and apologize.. I can still remember it vividly.. and a lesson learned I never forgot...but those were simpler days , when a neighbor would just as soon as see you do something wrong and give you a crack... then you would be too scared to tell your parents for fear of getting another one...
Wow you too? Mine was a pack of gum though... And yes, neighbors had no problem 'not' sparing the rod back in the day. Part of the problems being faced today - not enough discipline....

Old 08-11-2009, 04:46 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,012,537 times
I will admit to stealing a roll of life savers whan I was about 6 or 7. My DOG ratted me out. We got home and I was putting a lifesaver in my mouth when I dropped it on the linoleum. My mom heard it, of course, and said "What was that?" and I used the standard reply: "I don't know!" but it rolled under the portable dishwasher and the dog was trying to get it! Mom moved the dishwasher and nabbed the lifesaver before Misty got it, and then searched my pockets...to find the lifesavers....

"You took them from the store!"
"No I didn't!" (duh)
"Yes you did, and the police are going to come and take you to reform school! You better go to bed right now before they come here and find you!"

I went to bed both loathing the dog (dumb dog!) and fearing for my very life. The next day I scribbled the state police phone number out of the phone book in case my mom decided to turn me in...lol

Old 08-11-2009, 04:47 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,960,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
Loveinbloom

You said yestreday CONSIDER ME GONE?
I did where?

Old 08-11-2009, 04:53 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,960,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
So what? Loveinbloom has consistently been one of the better "regulars" on this forum. I, too, have said "farewell" in an angry huff on occasion during my 3+ years on this forum. Nobody is perfect.
Awwwwwwwwww...I miss you Scranbarre! Cyber hugs to you handsome! xxoo I honestly do not remember saying I am gone! Honest

Old 08-11-2009, 05:34 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,349,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
First let me say, I am glad it was not your child involved. While it is nice to always believe in your child...I have learned that ALL kids make mistakes...I would do as I said in my previous post. Sometimes the I don't know response is just not an acceptable answer. As much as I love my children and think they are good people there were times when the older two were growing up I had to rely on the old adage"...if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, walks like a duck...IT IS A DUCK". It was hard...but common sense is common sense. While I am not saying the child in question stole it, they sure know who did and how the darn thing got in THEIR DRAWER!

No one said to have blind faith in your child but I see way too many parents immediately jump to conclusions with their kids and it isn't right. It creates animosity and distrust in the relationship.

If this is otherwise a good kid, I WOULD give them the benefit of the doubt.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
Yep, I know, Steve. People need to realize that they really owe their children discipline....that by not disciplining their children they are harming them.
I agree. But I also think people owe their children respect and trust. I wouldn't like it if someone jumped to a bad conclusion about me and I wouldn't do it to my kid.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
When I was I was about 5 yrs. old I nabbed a candy bar from the corner store...I was marched right back there and made to tell what I did and apologize.. I can still remember it vividly.. and a lesson learned I never forgot...but those were simpler days , when a neighbor would just as soon as see you do something wrong and give you a crack... then you would be too scared to tell your parents for fear of getting another one...
Yeah the good ole days where anyone Tom, Rick or Harry could smack your kid. Yep. The good ole days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania