Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:36 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I've always viewed my hometown, Wilkes-Barre, as a down on it's luck, underdog type of city with a bad reputation. It's the "Ugly Problemchild" of NEPA. It is a tough, blue collar city in my opinion. It is the type of city where you will find alot more biker bars then martini clubs, but we are proud of that. In Wilkes-Barre, what you see is what you get, for better or worse, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Wilkes-Barre is the place for me. Sometimes I love it, and sometimes I hate it, but that sums up W-B in a nutshell. It's like a mangy mut, but it's your mangy mut so you love it anyway!
Kind of the same way I feel about Scranton. Its not perfect, but its home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 10:24 AM

331 posts, read 639,961 times
Well, neither really. I grew up northeast of Tunkhannock and we almost never went to either city. If we did, it would be Scranton (and actually, most often Dickson City). I ended up moving in adolescence, and so I identify more with the places I lived then than anywhere else.

That said, I've worked in Wilkes-Barre and I've lived right next to Scranton (right now), and I can't say that either really feels like home at all. I could take them or leave them.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:18 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
Scranton will always have spot in my heart, lived near WB too(Plymouth) but I never took to that city like I did Scranton, the 'New England feel' is more in Scranton IMO, Wilkes Barre is more southern flavored

Old 08-19-2009, 11:45 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
But that's just it. I don't think people travel to and from either city, because both cities have everything they need on thier own. I am a Wilkes-Barrian, There is nothing I cannot find here in W-B that I need to travel to Scranton to find. So why travel to Scranton? And vice versa. The only reason I would want to go to Scranton, is if there is a band I like playing at Montage or something like that, otherwise, why make the trip? We have everything we need right here in W-B
When I was a kid, and Pittston's downtown was vibrant; you could buy anything from large appliances to stereo equipment to car tires. We had a JC Penney's and 2 other department stores and 2 or 3 theatres to boot....

Old 08-19-2009, 04:19 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
When I was a kid, and Pittston's downtown was vibrant; you could buy anything from large appliances to stereo equipment to car tires. We had a JC Penney's and 2 other department stores and 2 or 3 theatres to boot....
Now it has tumbleweed! Pittston Township is the new trendy "hot-spot" anymore it would seem.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:13 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
So, I assume you identify with New York or possibly Philadelphia or some other city?
I identify with my favorite city, New York and my place of birth, Long Island. Sorry, they will always be home to me.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:16 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I identify with my favorite city, New York and my place of birth, Long Island. Sorry, they will always be home to me.
While, I can't say they will always be home ( as an Army wife I learned home is where husband is) they are both my favorite places on the planet; BUT only to visit. My heart and soul belong to/in NEPA...

Old 08-19-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I'm the same way...I identify with...Pittston, Wilkes-Barre and Scranton...NOT Sarasota....too snobby in this city for my taste....

Old 08-20-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
Scranton will always have spot in my heart, lived near WB too(Plymouth) but I never took to that city like I did Scranton, the 'New England feel' is more in Scranton IMO, Wilkes Barre is more southern flavored
You know I never thought of the cities that way...but I think you have a very good point...Thanx.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:30 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,695 times
tho i grew up in pittston--home to me is where i spent my happiest years--siesta key,florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania