Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 04:58 AM

154 posts, read 408,015 times

Advertisements

Good Morning Everybody.
As some of you may remember, I am (still) looking for a new home, and am looking "out in the boonies." I am aware of the gas drilling situation (I can hear the refrain from the gas explorers heading here: "There's GAS in them there hills..."), but I'm not exactly sure where it's happening, and where it might happen. As you may guess, the LAST thing I want to do is buy a new home far away from this maddening city of Scraaaan-ton, and find a gas drilling rig parked next to my house, blaring away 24-7. Might as well have stayed HERE with the neighbors-from-h-e-double-toothpicks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 11:12 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,793,315 times
South of Montrose on 29 yesterday, I saw 2 drilling pads right near the Nature Conservancy preserve (Woodbourne Forest).

Where will it happen? In the light peach colored area on this map: Marcellus Shale - Marcellus Shale Map - Natural Gas Field PA

Old 09-13-2009, 09:02 AM

50 posts, read 139,147 times
I think most of Wayne and Susquahanna [sp] Counties have signed with one company or the other. I don't know where they will drill but they have alot of land leased in these areas. We signed with Hess in July. Many others signed too and there are more on a list so they have alot of leased land here. Where they will drill I don't know but it can be anywhere.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:43 AM

947 posts, read 1,644,107 times
I know that there are companies that are negotiating with property owners in Northern Lackawanna County at the moment. And up near the NY border as well.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:52 PM

947 posts, read 1,644,107 times
Just read an interesting article about federal lawsuits related to the leases: Landowners vs. gas drillers comes to top Pa. court | AP | 09/12/2009 (http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/news/state/pennsylvania/20090912_ap_landownersvsgasdrillerscomestotoppacou rt.html - broken link)

Old 09-13-2009, 09:02 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,146,106 times
A friend of mine owns the airport Zaverton Field, now called Husky Haven Airport, on Rt. 29 in South Montrose and I hear she's already been paid $35,000 for exploration rights on the airport land. Soon to be millionaires in that area!!

Old 09-16-2009, 07:04 PM

325 posts, read 806,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac07 View Post
Good Morning Everybody.
As some of you may remember, I am (still) looking for a new home, and am looking "out in the boonies." I am aware of the gas drilling situation (I can hear the refrain from the gas explorers heading here: "There's GAS in them there hills..."), but I'm not exactly sure where it's happening, and where it might happen. As you may guess, the LAST thing I want to do is buy a new home far away from this maddening city of Scraaaan-ton, and find a gas drilling rig parked next to my house, blaring away 24-7. Might as well have stayed HERE with the neighbors-from-h-e-double-toothpicks.
Unfortunately, there is no sure-fire way to be certain that you will not, sooner or later, encounter drilling in your area. However, here are some steps that you might want to take to minimize your chances of ending up living in a gas field:

If you are considering a given area, first go to the county clerk's office and try to find out if leases have been signed in that area. In some counties, these records may be online, so you might not even have to make a trip to the country clerk's office. Also, you may want to talk to some of the neighbors to get a feeling for what they think about the drilling: Have they signed leases? Do they want to sign leases in the future? Do they absolutely not want to sign leases?

You will also definitely want to check to be certain that you own the gas drilling rights for any property you may buy.

If you are working with a realtor, make sure the realtor knows that you are specifically interested in a property that is not leased and is not surrounded by gas leases. Realtors are already becoming aware that many buyers don't want to be near the drilling and some homes are already being advertised as being free of a gas lease.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to be right next to a gas well in order to have problems related to the drilling. For example, if you are on a road that is likely to be used for truck traffic related to the drilling, that could be a problem. (The trucks are huge, noisy, may be carrying toxic chemicals or wastewater, and there are a LOT of them.) Pipelines may also be a problem, although it's going to be hard, at this point, to figure out where they may be sited, since at this point not many wells have been drilled.

Best of luck!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:49 PM

923 posts, read 3,095,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac07 View Post
Good Morning Everybody.
Aaah -- that would be Scraaaaan-on (the T is silent)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania