Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:07 AM

467 posts, read 1,489,368 times

Advertisements

It's a tough problem I think the "garbage" came in with the growing pains of the Poconos. Hopefully it's
now being address with increased police forces, etc. for years we had to rely on State Police and they
just couldnt' deal with all the population influx and problems. Now at least with regional police depts.
we can finally get a handle on the situation..It will take time..and the gated communitites need strong
resident involvement and stricter laws governing renters, etc...That alone would have some impact on
things. too many times, people don't want to sell but rent and dont' really care who they rent to, the
hell with their neighbors, not a good attitude. All Renters should be screened before they move into a
community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 07:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,620 times
I always ask myself why are the locals so bitter towards the folks from NY and NJ, without their tax dollars ever wonder what life would be like in NEPA?
Most of the blame can be placed square on the locals for the corruption within the local government, don't be fooled some of the new comers are to be blamed for some of the problems around here but politics plays so much into fueling this.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:37 AM

8 posts, read 10,408 times
I was considering moving to NEPA from NYC.....but by reading some of the posts have been discouraged. My husband would have no choice but to commute into the city. I would hate to move my family to an area where we would not be welcomed and blamed for the rise in crime and pollution.

SMH at the disregard for people who want to provide a better quality of life for thier families by moving to a smaller community!!!

Old 08-19-2010, 10:20 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinds00 View Post
SMH at the disregard for people who want to provide a better quality of life for thier families by moving to a smaller community!!!
But the end result has been a decline in quality of life for natives of the area. Like it or not, a mass migration of people from NYC has brought big-city problems to a once quiet, rural area.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:32 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching View Post
I always ask myself why are the locals so bitter towards the folks from NY and NJ, without their tax dollars ever wonder what life would be like in NEPA?

Actually, the mass migration from NY/NJ has resulted in skyrocketing taxes in the Poconos. The schools have been growing so much that they were almost constantly needing to build new schools, sending taxes through the roof....along with road work needed to handle the traffic, law enforcement to handle rising crime, etc.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:49 PM

177 posts, read 467,042 times
Hey...I don't want to hear complaints. It was the "locals" who sold their land, especially farm and wooded land, to make a buck. Now, they are complaining about the people who bought and developed this land. Give me a freakin break. If you locals hadn't been so greedy and so willing to make your fortune, the great majority of "outsiders" would not be here right now. You reap what you sew; so stop bitchin. You're a bunch of cry babies when you actually created this situation by selling.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:55 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
September 15th there is an upset tax sale in Monroe County. Right now we have 2408 properties on that list. The whole County is in a downward spiral. We desperately need good jobs. That would also reduce the commute.
Monroe County has a planning commission. We also have a highway safety commission. You never hear from them. We don’t know how to plan. Actually I should say that we do not know how to do. We know how to throw money into planning, surveying and studying.
To any of our commuters, it is obvious that we not only need high speed rail service; we also need six lanes right into NJ’s six lane roads. Expanding 80 and creating rail service requires the cooperation of states and departments - we also do not know how to cooperate.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:02 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamMan View Post
Hey...I don't want to hear complaints. It was the "locals" who sold their land, especially farm and wooded land, to make a buck. Now, they are complaining about the people who bought and developed this land. Give me a freakin break. If you locals hadn't been so greedy and so willing to make your fortune, the great majority of "outsiders" would not be here right now. You reap what you sew; so stop bitchin. You're a bunch of cry babies when you actually created this situation by selling.
JamMan,
Did you ever get the link to the tax sale?
I am a local and not complaining about our transplants. Money talks and we sold our properties to the highest bidders. You cannot eat your principles‘.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:10 PM

177 posts, read 467,042 times
Hey Fisheye,

Yes, I did get the link....thanks!

Not all locals are complaining. Just those who want to blame all their woes on the outsiders.

JamMan

Old 08-19-2010, 06:12 PM

635 posts, read 1,166,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching View Post
Territorial-ism is an unfortunately hardwired into the human DNA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania