Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 12:17 AM

159 posts, read 693,003 times

Advertisements

Please note that this thread was started in 2009

We just dealt with the RainSoft salesman (through Home Depot) who did the free water test, blah blah blah. In all honesty, and as per his test as well, we have a VERY high PH level and hard water. Based on the PH and some funky red stains in our toilets and shower and such ("feels" and cleans up like algae), I'm thinking we might have bacteria issues. The water does feel "slimy" when rinsing soap off in the shower and such, so I have always been concerned with possible bacteria and only drink bottled water here.

He recommended the UV system to kill bacteria, a water conditioner for the hard water and a carbon filter system to filter out the rest- to the tune of $6800.... Price is ridiculous, but he claims they have a lifetime warranty, etc. I am not so concerned about the price- money isn't an issue, as I am the actual quality of the products. Searching google seems hit or miss with a lot of complaints, but the 'net is FULL of people complaining about stuff.. Does anyone here know anything about water filtration or, more specifically, RainSoft and have any recommendations?

With the baby bathing in it and drinking the water, and my wife having skin issues lately, I could care less about the $$$ and am more concerned about having good water here. Any opinions? My wife already said "OK" and gave him our HD credit card info, but I am seriously considering canceling it in the AM unless I hear otherwise from anyone. Thanks.
Joe

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-14-2018 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 05:29 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,583 times
Call around. Fritz Brothers in Honesdale puts in water filtration systems (including UV light systems) that are not that expensive AT ALL. When I get to the office I will find his business card and DM you w/ his contact info.

We had a RainSoft filtration system and yeah, it did do a good job - but we paid over $5,000 when we really could not afford it (and the salesman was a FRIEND of ours at the time, and he said "How can you afford NOT to protect your family...") and we were too naive at the time to call around, we assumed all of these systems cost around the same, and why not let our friend get the deal, etc.

We eventually took it out because it stopped working properly about two years after we paid it off... and our friend was no longer in the area or with the company (coincidence perhaps?)...there was a service person who could come and fix it but he came quite a distance and the service charge was high...and the problem didn't go away, so we just ditched the system.

We don't have bacteria, just acid water (we get those blue green stains) and the water tastes like copper. We just deal with it as far as the stains go (we've got a stainless sink in the kitchen, and are going to remodel the bathroom which is 50+ years old anyway....) and get some other system in the "whole house" in the future. In the meantime, we get good tasting water w/ the Brita pitcher....(which doesn't work for bacteria though).

Definitely ask around. Not sure how close you are to Honesdale or not but when bacteria turned up in a water test for one of the homes I was selling, Fritz Brothers put in a UV light, and also an and under sink filtration system to make the drinking water taste good - and I know it was less than $2,000 two years ago. I'm sure there are other companies that offer similar products...

Old 10-06-2009, 05:38 AM

Here are some websites w/ cranky Rainsoft consumers:

Rainsoft @ Pissed Consumer

RainSoft Water Softener Complaints - No money refund from RainSoft!

Ripoff Report Search Results: rainsoft

Ever since I got suckered TWICE - once by Rainsoft for $5,000, and once for some "miracle vac" on TV to the tune of $400 +, I now make sure I look up something online for complaints before I ever buy anything. Some people are just spewing sour grapes, but if a lot of the complaints are consistent w/ one another you have nothing left to conclude other than "Where there's smoke, there's fire..."

Old 10-06-2009, 07:28 AM

Thanks Karen. As for the bacteria, I am not 100% sure that's what it is, but with the PH so high, there is nothing to "kill off" the bacteria so it kind of fits with my initial thoughts of it being a possibility. None of us have ever gotten sick or anything like that from the water, but obviously, I want the best possible water for our family.

I saw all the complaints online as well. I noticed a bunch seemed to be from families who really over extended themselves credit-wise to buy it and just took it as buyers remorse, though as you said- where there is smoke, there's fire- which is why I wanted to ask around a bit for myself as well.

Calling Fritz Brothers now. Thanks again, Karen!
Joe

Old 10-06-2009, 09:21 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,142,471 times
From a (supposedly) former employee: I worked for Rainsoft--Let me tell you what they're trying to do

Old 10-06-2009, 11:02 AM

Saw that last night as well. I already called and canceled. EVERYTHING I read online was all the same- late night appointments to try to get you with your guard down, tell you how much soap you'll save, blah blah blah, tell you the price is "right now only- heck, this guy told me that it was a special that they only give out to 3 people in the same zip code, so he couldn't honor it tomorrow because it would be gone- yet, earlier he told me they have never come out this far lol..

After more research, it appears that if there is any bacteria in our well, it is most likely iron bacteria which fits our descriptions perfectly, yet is perfectly harmless. We are going to send the water out to be tested for bacteria just to be safe with the baby and such, but I am confident there is nothing unsafe about it. After speaking with a few local dealers and such, they all say that harmful bacteria isn't really an issue here.

I may just buy the $400 Whirlpool filter system and ~$400 softener from Lowes just to have better "feeling" water, but am not all that concerned after doing some research. Thanks for the input guys, this guy almost took us for $7k!!

Old 01-02-2010, 08:34 AM

I know this is older, but I wanted to update it. It turns out the rainsoft guy was either a real scammer or just a moron. We had our water tested at several other places locally and sent out for testing. We actually have soft "near perfect water" as someone put it- not hard like he tried to tell us and have no bacterial "issues" at all like he was trying to scare us into believing. The only "bacteria" we have is iron, which is common for the area and harmless.

In fact, after talking to others in the field, the system he wanted to sell us was not even correct for the problems he was saying we had.

From my experience and all I have read online, it would be best to AVOID RAINSOFT!!! Hope this helps anyone else reading this!

Old 01-02-2010, 09:10 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,671,465 times
Well I know my parents had some harsh well water and they have a simple system that is only $150 and it works great. They have to change the filters every couple months. I'm going to be building a house sometime soon and I'll put the same system in.

For drinking water as my parents like distilled water(pure H2O), they have a water distiller that makes a few gallons a day.

Pretty simple and you are not out $6800.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 55,146 times
Default Help! I need an answer asap

Joe or anybody else out there, how does the rainsoft system work? I am thinking about purchasing a system. Is there alot of maintenance? Do they work as demonstrated? Are they reliable?
Thanks,

Old 02-22-2010, 01:55 PM

They are WAY over priced. They work fine, but not quite as promised. You will not use less soap as they promised.

Seriously, contact another water filtration company - you can probably get a comparable system for $1,000 or even less, rather than $5,000 for a rainsoft system. The rainsoft system does work - we had ours working for a few years and the water was delicious. Until the system finally failed a few years later.

This is a multi level marketing company much like vacuum salesmen and tupperware ladies...so if they stop selling them you will have nobody to contact for help unless you find another dealer somewhere.

I would not recommend purchasing a rainsoft system simply because they are GROSSLY overpriced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania