Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 07:59 PM

11 posts, read 51,133 times

Advertisements

Title pretty much says it all, heh. I just moved to the area and was wondering if there are any good gay/lesbian bars or clubs in Scranton/WB or the nearby area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 09:21 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
There aren't many, but your options are Twist, along Highway 315 in Plains Township (Wilkes-Barre suburb), and the Twelve Penny along Birney Avenue in Moosic (Scranton suburb). I think Pittston also had a short-lived gay bar a few years ago. The LGBT population in NEPA is massive (albeit closeted).

Old 11-04-2010, 04:55 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
There aren't many, but your options are Twist, along Highway 315 in Plains Township (Wilkes-Barre suburb), and the Twelve Penny along Birney Avenue in Moosic (Scranton suburb). I think Pittston also had a short-lived gay bar a few years ago. The LGBT population in NEPA is massive (albeit closeted).
Closeted? Really...I had no problem finding as Kathy Griffith (sp? ) would say "...MY GAYS..." lol!

Old 11-04-2010, 02:40 PM

11 posts, read 51,133 times
Admittedly I've never been to a club in my entire life. I just know I'm never going to make any friends at home, so I wanted to give it a try. Is Twist a fairly comfortable environment for people who are new to the "scene" (so new that they feel the need to use quotation marks on the word "scene"?)

Old 11-04-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadotcom View Post
Admittedly I've never been to a club in my entire life. I just know I'm never going to make any friends at home, so I wanted to give it a try. Is Twist a fairly comfortable environment for people who are new to the "scene" (so new that they feel the need to use quotation marks on the word "scene"?)
I'm not much into the club "scene" myself, but in such a closeted area as NEPA you really have to put yourself "out" there if you ever hope to land a date, unfortunately. I haven't been to Twist in years, admittedly, but the last time I was there I was subjected to some pretty terribly "flaming" techno dance music and strobe lights to try to set the "mood." I could do little more than bop my head around like the dudes from Night at the Roxbury. I'm not really into drag shows, and those are commonplace there. I'm a more masculine and "conservative" gay (if that's not an oxymoron), but a dude has to do what a dude has to do to get him some! Twist is undoubtedly the epicenter of LGBT nightlife in the area, though, and it can draw in huge crowds. In my experience the Wilkes-Barre Area tends to be more "gay-friendly" than the Scranton Area, and my native Pittston just may have one of the highest LGBT populations per capita in tha region (my, oh my how they come "out" of the woodwork after high school!) LOL!

The last time I was there I had some dude from Clarks Summit I had just met introduce himself to me on the dance floor and start grinding with me. Okay. Innocent enough. Then he tried doing a secret "handshake" as his hands went into my pockets, and I wasn't exactly very "receptive" (yeah, I'm a prude! Haha!)

One thing you may want to do is go on Facebook and try to find other like-minded gays/lesbians in the area and go in a small group of friendly acquaintances while you are "devirginized" to the club scene. I went alone the last time, and I felt like a piece of meat being sized up.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
Closeted? Really...I had no problem finding as Kathy Griffith (sp? ) would say "...MY GAYS..." lol!
In Pittston the "butch" ones like me were all gay or "bi-curious" (uh-huh), and the ones who were Martha Stewart's largest fans were all "straight". Go figure! LOL!

Old 11-05-2010, 05:57 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times
Quote:
In Pittston the "butch" ones like me were all gay or "bi-curious" (uh-huh), and the ones who were Martha Stewart's largest fans were all "straight". Go figure! LOL!
You made me almost pee my pants! Thanks for the morning chuckle!

Old 11-05-2010, 07:52 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
I am a straight, married woman. But in my younger days, I went to Twist a few times with friends. I thought it was fun, but I wasn't trying to find a date. Frankly, I have said this to my gay and straight friends: A bar is no place to try and find someone that you want to date seriously.

Try this site:

NEPA Rainbow Alliance: Gay Pride Service Organization

Also, I think in this day and age, a gay person needn't restrict himself to establishments that identify as "gay bars". I am SURE there are a ton of gay/lesbian people doing all sorts of things that don't include drinking and partying.

Good luck OP!

Old 11-05-2010, 02:44 PM

If you have a Facebook account look up John W. Dawe. He is heavily involved with the NEPA Rainbow Alliance, based out of Wilkes-Barre, and could most definitely give you some advice on how to become more visible with the LGBT scene here. He used to attend the meetings for our fledgling Gay/Straight Alliance group at King's when I was still a student there.

Magritte says "in this day and age...". Well, Magritte, while it would be nice to say homophobia is 100% behind us I can safely say there are still some issues, and if a well-intentioned gay guy were to compliment or buy a drink for a straight dude at a non-gay bar, he very well could still end up with a black eye for threatening the straight guy's "masculinity." I'll never understand why so many straight dudes (not just in NEPA, but nationwide) are so "weirded out" by gay guys. Straight dudes aren't interested in every chick they see. Why would gay guys be interested in every guy they saw? The more gay guys that come out of the woodwork the BETTER for straight dudes because that frees up more chicks, does it not? Gay guys can't "turn" straight guys gay. I was physical with a "straight" guy once in Wilkes-Barre, but if you are actively seeking to be intimate with another male you're at least bi---no doubt about it. I would love for a straight guy to finally tell me WHY they are so "afraid" of we gay guys.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:52 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
If you have a Facebook account look up John W. Dawe. He is heavily involved with the NEPA Rainbow Alliance, based out of Wilkes-Barre, and could most definitely give you some advice on how to become more visible with the LGBT scene here. He used to attend the meetings for our fledgling Gay/Straight Alliance group at King's when I was still a student there.

Magritte says "in this day and age...". Well, Magritte, while it would be nice to say homophobia is 100% behind us I can safely say there are still some issues, and if a well-intentioned gay guy were to compliment or buy a drink for a straight dude at a non-gay bar, he very well could still end up with a black eye for threatening the straight guy's "masculinity." I'll never understand why so many straight dudes (not just in NEPA, but nationwide) are so "weirded out" by gay guys. Straight dudes aren't interested in every chick they see. Why would gay guys be interested in every guy they saw? The more gay guys that come out of the woodwork the BETTER for straight dudes because that frees up more chicks, does it not? Gay guys can't "turn" straight guys gay. I was physical with a "straight" guy once in Wilkes-Barre, but if you are actively seeking to be intimate with another male you're at least bi---no doubt about it. I would love for a straight guy to finally tell me WHY they are so "afraid" of we gay guys.
Dude, please. I have a ton of GLBT friends who have been with their SOs for years. VERY few of them met each other at bars.

I stand by what I said - you don't need to go to bars to meet someone special and you certainly don't have to go to gay only places either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania